Fuel Smell and Not Building Boost(FRPS?<-YES!)

SuperRok

Established Member
This blows. I was in mid race with some S 197 and my Termi starts acting up. Bastard beat me. Car is not building boost, is bucking while cruising, and has a strong fuel smell. I barely made it home. I try to start it, but car does not turn. What should I check for?

ScottsdaleSnake

Silver Bullet
Established Member
Fuel Regulator Pressure Sensor for sure...I think it's approximately $80 from Tousley or just go to your local Ford dealer and pick one up....two minutes to change out and then you can go out and find that S197 :burnout:
Oh, and go change your oil ASAP since there is probably some gas in it...

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
This blows. I was in mid race with some S 197 and my Termi starts acting up. Bastard beat me. Car is not building boost, is bucking while cruising, and has a strong fuel smell. I barely made it home. I try to start it, but car does not turn. What should I check for?

Car does not TURN?:dw::shrug:

What is that supposed to mean? The car won't steer?

How about the car won't fire or start?

Or

The car won't turn over, as if it was seized up or hydrolocked?

Unplug the vacuum line on your FRPS and see if it's full of gas.
If it is and the car is seized up and "won't turn" (over), then pull all the plugs and try it again, still no? Drain the oil(and gas) out and try again... just don't let it start.

SuperRok

Established Member
Doh! I just changed the oil and filter 2 weeks ago for $70 in parts. Dang it. Car does not turn as in start, but cranks. Sucks cause that S 197 did a fly by and I downshifted and started reeling him in fast. Then car started missing and he ends up getting ahead by a car. He probably thinks his bolt on S-197 can beat Termis now. Ugh!

SuperRok

Established Member
Sct tuner logged 2 codes. P0234 turbo/supercharger overboost condition. P0193 fuel rail pressure on ckt high input. FRPS?

SuperRok

Established Member
Bought a new FRPS an d changed oil. Codes do no show in SCT, but service engine light still on. Car cranks but will not start. I still smell fuel.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Bought a new FRPS an d changed oil. Codes do no show in SCT, but service engine light still on. Car cranks but will not start. I still smell fuel.

Put the gas pedal to the floor and crank to start, WOT shuts off the injectors and that needs to happen because a bunch of your vacuum lines and a good portion of your intake manifold is LOADED with RAW GAS!!

Crank with WOT until it starts to catch and cylinders are starting to fire, then as soon as revs build enough for you to want limit how high it revs up, lift off WOT to something like 3/4 until the engine revs smoothly again.

It's flooded like a SOB.

SuperRok

Established Member
Put the gas pedal to the floor and crank to start, WOT shuts off the injectors and that needs to happen because a bunch of your vacuum lines and a good portion of your intake manifold is LOADED with RAW GAS!!

Crank with WOT until it starts to catch and cylinders are starting to fire, then as soon as revs build enough for you to want limit how high it revs up, lift off WOT to something like 3/4 until the engine revs smoothly again.

It's flooded like a SOB.

Dude, you the man! It worked but was scary as shit when it started. Smoked shot out of the exhaust and it was stumbling a lil bit. It stunk! Let it idle for a minute, pressed the gas it died.

Restarted it and let it idle for a few minutes and it calmed down. Idled normally and started giving it some revs and boost was picking it up. Killed it again and restarted fine. Idle it a few more and cut it off. Came back to thank Jimmy on SVT. Hah.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Dude, you the man! It worked but was scary as shit when it started. Smoked shot out of the exhaust and it was stumbling a lil bit. It stunk! Let it idle for a minute, pressed the gas it died.

Restarted it and let it idle for a few minutes and it calmed down. Idled normally and started giving it some revs and boost was picking it up. Killed it again and restarted fine. Idle it a few more and cut it off. Came back to thank Jimmy on SVT. Hah.

That is awesome dude!
Now Monday go buy a spare and stick it in your glove box or console with a cheap 7mm wrench because you are going to end up using your spare FRPSensor more often than the spare tire in your car.
It may save you a tow some day.:beer:

I've got a spare in my car and I have had to use it once so far already.:rockon::beer:

SuperRok

Established Member
Is there any long-term damage the FRPS can cause if it goes out. I changed the oil and I swear gas fumes were present. Does fuel actually get pass the rings and cause damage to the motor?

SuperRok

Established Member
If there is enough in there.......... YES!

Hmm...scary. What should I do next to make sure there isn't any? Take it to a shop? I didn't drive it around, but oil pressure reads well and no unusual noises.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Hmm...scary. What should I do next to make sure there isn't any? Take it to a shop? I didn't drive it around, but oil pressure reads well and no unusual noises.

Drive it easy for a couple days, assuming it's not reading real high way up on the dip stick.

Smell the oil on the stick while standing well away from the car so you can judge better how much fuel smell there is coming from the oil and not the car.

If it does not smell like a lot of fuel and the level looks about what the full level was right after you did the change after the blown FRPS.... then I would drive it (out of boost) for a few days a see if it evaporates out.

If not, change it.

Both times I blew mine it was very difficult to start afterwards yet I did not have a bunch of gas, if any, in the oil so I did not change my oil either time.

Which was a good thing because 8.5 quarts of even Royal Purple street oil, is a good bit of money, and lately I have been running the race oil so that's even more.

Last edited:

SuperRok

Established Member
I have upper/lower pulley swap, fluidyne heat exchanger, RAI, and catback. What plugs should I use? I will do this as a precaution.

Jefe

Established Member
Pretty sure my frps just went. Normal cruising around and I pull into get some food and I smell gas inside the car. I leave 20 minutes later and the car drives fine through the parking lot. I get on to the main street and the car starts bucking and stalls. Guess I'm calling some cobra buddies to see if they have a spare. Dealer is closed. I don't smell any gas on the dipstick. No fuel in the vacuum line

Jefe

Established Member
Pulled 2 codes, FRPS and MAF sensor. Checked my sensor and it wasnt snapped in so I clicked it in and cleared the codes. Checked the vacuum line on the FRPS and started it up. Let it idle for about 10 mins then shut it off and checked again. Also checked the oil and there was no gas smell . Drove around the parking lot and it cleared itself. Not sure how driving around unclipped my MAF...Scary morning though....

Blueline

Established Member
Glad you got it all worked out. Maybe you didnt clip it in all the way last time you had it apart and it prob. worked its way out while driving.

Users who are viewing this thread