Fuel Smell and Not Building Boost(FRPS?<-YES!)

Jefe

Established Member
That's the thing, last time I had it off was over 6 months ago. It was still in the socket just not snapped in. I cant imagine its been hanging on for that long. Nothing broken either. Ive owned the car for 3 years and it has "stranded" me twice. Both times were the MAF sensor and fixed in minutes haha

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I leave a frps in my center console just in case. I've never changed one, but basically I only need the right size allen wrench to take it off and put a new one on right?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
7mm socket/wrench

Ok I just went out to my car to verify what I have. Mine indeed takes a allen wrench. So yours and others do not?

001-33.jpg

Jefe

Established Member
Woh weird, yours has been changed then. Mine are 7mm bolts and it sounds like Jimmy's is the same

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Woh weird, yours has been changed then. Mine are 7mm bolts and it sounds like Jimmy's is the same

I'm not so sure it has. There's what looks like factory greenish paint on the top metal part that goes along the side, kind of like a marker just like if the blower shield has been removed or not. Here's some pictures, same color on the blower and even the allen screws have that green paint on them.

003-30.jpg

007-15.jpg

002-29.jpg

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
Usually only the dealer does that. Original owner? If it wasn't 110 degrees outside Id go take some pics of mine

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Usually only the dealer does that. Original owner? If it wasn't 110 degrees outside Id go take some pics of mine

NO, I'm the 3rd owner. I guess it could have been replaced. I just figured since it has the same exact green paint on it like the side of the blower that it's been untouched. Figured some can be different just like some had a plug on the front pulley snout and some had a bolt.:shrug:

ScottsdaleSnake

Silver Bullet
Established Member
NO, I'm the 3rd owner. I guess it could have been replaced. I just figured since it has the same exact green paint on it like the side of the blower that it's been untouched. Figured some can be different just like some had a plug on the front pulley snout and some had a bolt.:shrug:

Yours has not been changed...well, I guess the actual FRPS could have been changed before, BUT your allen head bolts ARE original to the car. I've owned my car since new and I have the exact same bolts as you! :rolling:

ScottsdaleSnake

Silver Bullet
Established Member
Hmm...scary. What should I do next to make sure there isn't any? Take it to a shop? I didn't drive it around, but oil pressure reads well and no unusual noises.

If you're in doubt, it's better to be safe and change the oil again...My FRPS blew out 2 days after changing the oil, and synthetic oil changes out here aren't cheap; I feel your pain! Glad to hear you solved the problem, though. When my FRPS blew out I came here and I believe Jimmy also helped me pinpoint the problem...you da man Jimmy! :beer:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Ok I just went out to my car to verify what I have. Mine indeed takes a allen wrench. So yours and others do not?

001-33.jpg

Yours has not been changed...well, I guess the actual FRPS could have been changed before, BUT your allen head bolts ARE original to the car. I've owned my car since new and I have the exact same bolts as you! :rolling:

Interesting that the fasteners are not all the same on these things.

I may buy some allen bolts for mine because I would rather carry a skinny little allen wrench than a 7mm any day

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member

Cool good to know! :beer:

Jimmy, indeed much easier with that little allen wrench. I have that, another frps and a little map light in a box in my center console, because you just never know.

Alb Cobra

Established Member
Is there any way to have a electronic failure in your FRPS and still develop a slight smell of gas in your oil?

I had some issues with mine today stopping at a convenience store got in and tried like 6-7 times to start my car......had a spare FRPS but left the damn 7mm socket at home. Replaced the FRPS and after about 4-5 second of cranking with the gas all the way down the car started. Drove about 3-4 miles home let the car sit and went out and rechecked the oil dip stick, the oil separator, and a few coils. I olny had a faint gas smell on in the oil separator. Rechecked the dip stick and noticed the oil looked a tad thinner than I think it should moved took another whiff and smelt a small amount of gas.

A little back ground car was giving me fits all afternoon and I noticed my fuel pressure gauge spiked to 100 psi for a split second upon initial start up when I first left the house. I thought damn that is odd I wonder if my FRPS is going to go out after that. I have a KB disk, and 8-an line to the stock rails rest of the fuel mods in sig. Car never not starts on the second try but today it was moody. Almost left me stranded in the middle of my 1.5hr drive at a different station.

There was not hint of gas in the FRPS vacuum line.

Last edited:

03 SeRpEnT

The Feeling Hurter
Established Member
My old silver cobra popped 7 of these in 2 months. AKA really fkin annoying. Had to do with the tune if I remember right and had to pay for 3 tows. Ford got used to seeing me there for awhile.

Users who are viewing this thread