1st post - looking for experiences on CAIs

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
I am trying to put together a parts list of go-fast goodies for my recently acquired 04, including a CAI. Here is my plan so far:

-full length subframe connectors
-cat back
-CAI
-diff bushings and brace
-IRS subframe bushings
-pulley/tune
-10.5's & 315

I have built a few custom intake setups and tuned with a TWEECER. Clocking (rotating) the MAF relative to a bend on either side or connecting the MAF directly to a filter had interesting issues… I live in AZ so heat is a big issue.

Here are my thoughts on the available CAIs in order;
-Tunable induction – 1 90 degree bend
-UPR – hot metal pipe, 1 90 degree bend
-JLT CAI – hot metal pipe with 2 90 degree bends very close to MAF connected directly to filter.
-brand whatever filter-on-the-MAF with non-metal heat shield.

My searches on this site have been non-conclusive. Tuning experience or swapping of one for another would be greatly appreciated.

cobracide

Established Member
You were great except for "and brace". LPW cover.

As far as the air intake path/system - as straight as possible. A JLT Ram Air vs. a JLT CAI, Ram Air wins every time once you are moving. Bends will slow the air. A 90* bend, sharp will give you Minor Loss Coefficient of 1.3.

Last edited:

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
I had a JLT RAI on my 04GT, and put one on my 03 cobra as soon as I got it....and....I have never seen a JLT intake that was made of metal. They are made of pvc pipe basically (just an fyi). Seems like that should help aid your decision making process, since heat is a concern.

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
Thanks for the info.

What material is the heat/fanwash shield made of for the regular JLT RAI?
Plastic?

I have read that the JTL kit may rub on the strut tower, is this only an issue with the CAI or both?

black 10th vert

Established Member
Thanks for the info.

What material is the heat/fanwash shield made of for the regular JLT RAI?
Plastic?

I have read that the JTL kit may rub on the strut tower, is this only an issue with the CAI or both?

Their "standard" shield is just plastic, then they have an upgraded CF version that is nicer aesthetically. As faras the rubbing, I have been told that the only one that doesn't have it as much is their CF RAI kit, because it was molded in the correct oval shape like the stock intake. It all really comes down to careful installation inmo, though, even with their standard offering.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
If you never stop for traffic, traffic lights or stop signs an RAI works nice.

However you will never see one on my car... ever.:nonono:

I'll take the lowest IAT1s I can get every time.

I do stop for stop signs and lights and this makes a big difference in the hotter parts of the country.

P5010081.jpg

AlwaysBoosted

What's a SVT?
Established Member
If you never stop for traffic, traffic lights or stop signs an RAI works nice.

However you will never see one on my car... ever.:nonono:

I'll take the lowest IAT1s I can get every time.

I do stop for stop signs and lights and this makes a big difference in the hotter parts of the country.

P5010081.jpg

Well put Jimmy. :thumbsup:

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
I know that with my car, since it is my DD, I would NEVER have my filter/intake in my fender! My car does see occasional rain...and sucking up water/hydro-locking my engine is NOT something I'm trying to have happen to me. I have heard/read way to many horror stories of cars sucking up water. (And not on purpose obviously) I like to go with the -" better safe, than sorry" method.

AlwaysBoosted

What's a SVT?
Established Member
I know that with my car, since it is my DD, I would NEVER have my filter/intake in my fender! My car does see occasional rain...and sucking up water/hydro-locking my engine is NOT something I'm trying to have happen to me. I have heard/read way to many horror stories of cars sucking up water. (And not on purpose obviously) I like to go with the -" better safe, than sorry" method.

I'm sorry to inform you, but you will not hydro lock your engine by driving in the rain with a CAI. Any "horror story" you've heard about driving in the rain and hydro locking their engine is a crock of sh*t. In order for enough water to get sucked into the engine to hydro lock, the filter would have to be submerged. Not a little puddle on the road from a typical day's rain. Now I'm not telling you to drive and hit all the rain puddles, but if you did, you would be completely fine with a CAI.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I'm sorry to inform you, but you will not hydro lock your engine by driving in the rain with a CAI. Any "horror story" you've heard about driving in the rain and hydro locking their engine is a crock of sh*t. In order for enough water to get sucked into the engine to hydro lock, the filter would have to be submerged. Not a little puddle on the road from a typical day's rain. Now I'm not telling you to drive and hit all the rain puddles, but if you did, you would be completely fine with a CAI.

I totally agree! You would need to be driving in a Katrina type situation where you were traveling in water that was half way up your doors to be able to suck in enough water to hydrolock!:D

My reticence about going with a CAI is having all of the extra turns to disrupt the airflow, as well as having to relocate the MAF.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member

well....i hate to inform you....but ive read enough of those "crock of shit" stories over the past 5 or 6 years (even from back when i had my GT, and on mustangforums.com), that i will stick with keeping my filter out of the fenderwell...and stay with the "better safe than sorry" method.

i do want to thank you for your concern tho! :beer:

here is just a few out of a ton of links i could post....perhaps you should tell all of these guys that ruined their motors, that they are full of shit lol

http://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion/406482-hydrolock.html

http://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/532342-hydrolock.html

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/modular-mustangs/39783-hydrolock.html

http://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech/79507-hydro-lock-question.html

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
well....i hate to inform you....but ive read enough of those "crock of shit" stories over the past 5 or 6 years (even from back when i had my GT, and on mustangforums.com), that i will stick with keeping my filter out of the fenderwell...and stay with the "better safe than sorry" method.

i do want to thank you for your concern tho! :beer:

here is just a few out of a ton of links i could post....perhaps you should tell all of these guys that ruined their motors, that they are full of shit lol

!!!!!!HYDROLOCK!!!!!!!!! - MustangForums.com

Hydrolock :( - MustangForums.com

Hydrolock

HYDRO LOCK QUESTION.... - MustangForums.com

All dumb asses how drove right into deep standing water.
For those who might not know driving into standing water is not recommended for any car, SUV... OK with some you can.
I live in the Houston area where when it does finally rain you would think the whole county was going to wash away, I have driven through 4" puddles no problem, but I knew the road very well and knew it would get shallower not deeper.
I am not dumb enough to drive through deep or unkown depth, standing water with my "baby".

First link-> "A puddle half way up to my headlights":smmon::bash::kaboom:

2nd link-> "the water wasn't too deep (maybe 3 inches at most) and then i hit a dip in the road":smmon::bash::kaboom:

3rd link-> "he was drivin in the rain and he went through a VEEERY large puddle in the road and water splashed up the sides and everywhere":smmon::bash::kaboom:

4th link-> "2001 mustang 3.8 V6 and drove through a puddle that i didn't expect to be as deep and..."
When questioned about said "deep puddle".. "ok it was more like a mini lake lol maybe 2 feet or so.." :smmon::bash::kaboom:

Moral of the story: Don't drive into standing water, because you can't know how deep it is until it's too late.

Last edited:

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
All dumb asses how drove right into deep standing water.
For those who might not know driving into standing water is not recommended for any car, SUV... OK with some you can.
I live in the Houston area where when it does finally rain you would think the whole county was going to wash away, I have driven through 4" puddles no problem, but I knew the road very well and knew it would get shallower not deeper.
I am not dumb enough to drive through deep or unkown depth, standing water with my "baby".

First link-> "A puddle half way up to my headlights":smmon::bash::kaboom:

2nd link-> "the water wasn't too deep (maybe 3 inches at most) and then i hit a dip in the road":smmon::bash::kaboom:

3rd link-> "he was drivin in the rain and he went through a VEEERY large puddle in the road and water splashed up the sides and everywhere":smmon::bash::kaboom:

4th link-> "2001 mustang 3.8 V6 and drove through a puddle that i didn't expect to be as deep and..."
When questioned about said "deep puddle".. "ok it was more like a mini lake lol maybe 2 feet or so.." :smmon::bash::kaboom:

Moral of the story: Don't drive into standing water, because you can't know how deep it is until it's too late.

exaaaaactly!! 4 cases/links of ACCIDENTS/people (i could have posted many more, but figured 4 examples would be enough) that ruined their engines from having a fender cai on their mustang/DD!! just those threads right there are enough for ME to stick with the "better safe than sorry" method.

dont get it twisted...yes those guys that drove into the puddles arent the brightest crayon in the box (which seems to be the point jimmy is trying to make, and i agree!)...but THAT IS NOT THE POINT! the POINT IS IT CAN/DOES HAPPEN, and isnt exactly a "crock of shit" as some would like to think.

also wanted to point out, in the 2nd link i posted (with the dip in the road), the guy was in a construction zone, and had no way of turning around, and WAS FORCED TO GO THRU THE PUDDLE IN HIS BABY....which means sometimes, shit happens that is out of your control. had his filter not been in his fender he would have been fine.

but yes, you are right...for the most part...you and i, and a few others are smart enough NOT to drive into a BIG puddle....but...unfortunately as you can see....not everyone out there is as smart as you and i.

:beer:

Last edited:

AlwaysBoosted

What's a SVT?
Established Member
exaaaaactly!! 4 cases/links of ACCIDENTS/people (i could have posted many more, but figured 4 examples would be enough) that ruined their engines from having a fender cai on their mustang/DD!! just those threads right there are enough for ME to stick with the "better safe than sorry" method.

dont get it twisted...yes those guys that drove into the puddles arent the brightest crayon in the box (which seems to be the point jimmy is trying to make, and i agree!)...but THAT IS NOT THE POINT! the POINT IS IT CAN/DOES HAPPEN, and isnt exactly a "crock of shit" as some would like to think.

also wanted to point out, in the 2nd link i posted (with the dip in the road), the guy was in a construction zone, and had no way of turning around, and WAS FORCED TO GO THRU THE PUDDLE IN HIS BABY....which means sometimes, shit happens that is out of your control. had his filter not been in his fender he would have been fine.

but yes, you are right...for the most part...you and i, and a few others are smart enough NOT to drive into a BIG puddle....but...unfortunately as you can see....not everyone out there is as smart as you and i.

:beer:

"isn't exactly a crock of shit as some would like to think" I'm guessing that quote is directed to me :rockon:. Well your right, I still believe It's a Crock Pot of Shit. Where do I start? Again you will NOT hydro lock your engine by driving in a typical rainy day. If you submerge your filter with water, YES there is a chance of hydro locking occurring. But hydro locking an engine is not as easy nor as common as you think. You have to SUBMERGE the filter. How often do you hit a puddle of water that is at minimum 6+ Inches deep to Submerge a filter? I think it's fair to say NOT often, if ever. I understand YOU may not be comfortable with having a filter in the fender well, but Jimmy and I are not the only two Cobra owners you have and trust our CAI. If a CAI wasn't reliable for Daily Driving, it would be sold as off road use only, period. The whole "playing it safe" concept, is your Cobra Pulleyed? Odds are that you once had a can flash tune on your car, dyno proven, a lot of generic can tunes on flash programmers, the car runs very lean occasionally dangerously lean. That's not very safe is it? But a lot of guys do it every day without any problems. What about having an off road X pipe, CAI/RAI, SBTB before having a tune as first typical bolt ons like most owners do? There's always going to be a small percentage of owners who will experience problems that could catastrophic with ANY modifications. There's a member right now saying "whipple owners beware." Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Whipple supercharger the most common and reliable upgraded forced induction on Cobras? How often do you ever hear a complaint, very very rarely! I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just trying to get my point across. There's risk with anything, but if drive your vehicle responsible, avoid High water, you'll be completely fine daily driving with a CAI. :beer:

0310thstock

Established Member
My MAF always got wet when it rained with the CAI. It ran like shit and was very annoying. I chopped it up to make a RAI and finally bought a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread