1st post - looking for experiences on CAIs

GodStang

Established Member
There is a point were air movement is more important than air temperature. Most setups will never hit that point so a CAI works best for most people. Also while hydro locking is extremely possible have seen it personally it is not likely going to happen. You should not be out driving if the water is deep enough to hydro lock.

Of course I am doing best of both worlds. Since volume of air is so so important for me and 2 extra 90 degree bends that kills air flow on the CAI is not for me. I am running a RAI sealed off from the engine bay. Then running dual pipes one from each side of the fog lights to direct cool air to the filter. More cool air than the CAI would get. Then if I need more air flow I remove the passenger side headlight and it directs cooler air directly into the intake.

AlwaysBoosted

What's a SVT?
Established Member
And yet ANOTHER reason on why I wouldn't run my filter in my fender, on my DD!

:rockon:

I forgot is this topic about you preferring a RAI over a CAI? Or is this topic about the OP wanting know experiences with a CAI. From the sounds of it, you don't have much experience with a CAI. And incase you read over some things. The OP lives in Arizona and would probably benefit significantly with a CAI vs RAI.

Last edited:

AlwaysBoosted

What's a SVT?
Established Member
My MAF always got wet when it rained with the CAI. It ran like shit and was very annoying. I chopped it up to make a RAI and finally bought a new one.

My MAF has never gotten wet... :shrug: I DD my 03 and we just had a couple of pretty rough storms here in Northern Virginia yesterday and my car didn't miss a beat. But like I said, everyone experiences are different.

Last edited:

0310thstock

Established Member
My MAF has never gotten wet... :shrug: I DD my 03 and we just had a couple of pretty rough storms here in Northern Virginia yesterday and my car didn't miss a beat. But like I said, everyone experiences are different.

Yeah. Everyone's experiences are different. I've had both and I just got tired of the CAI. I will admit the JLT CAI looks better.

black 10th vert

Established Member
There is a point were air movement is more important than air temperature. Most setups will never hit that point so a CAI works best for most people. Also while hydro locking is extremely possible have seen it personally it is not likely going to happen. You should not be out driving if the water is deep enough to hydro lock.

Of course I am doing best of both worlds. Since volume of air is so so important for me and 2 extra 90 degree bends that kills air flow on the CAI is not for me. I am running a RAI sealed off from the engine bay. Then running dual pipes one from each side of the fog lights to direct cool air to the filter. More cool air than the CAI would get. Then if I need more air flow I remove the passenger side headlight and it directs cooler air directly into the intake.

I'm of this mindset as well. I have the RAI with the CF cover to keep most of the heat away from the filter, and a cold air duct from the bumper brake cooling duct. Should be the best of both worlds that way, although in the example that Jimmy mentioned of sitting in traffic, there won't be any moving air being supplied from the duct, so that is the one time I feel the CAI would have an advantage. I still think a straight shot RAI is better overall because of the lack of restriction.

Users who are viewing this thread