Overheating and annoyed, just venting.

Well just caught her just before she started to overheat all the way. Temps got as high as 244F and made it back home in the nick of time. Left it running and high speed fan coming on strong. Coolant was shooting out the radiator cap.

This is the 3rd time I've had an overheating episode over the past 4 years of ownership. So looks like I'll be putting in the Reische t-stat in there in the event my Stant 170 t-stat went bad. And I'll be replacing all the Ford clamps this time with screw type clamps. And I'll be replacing my old screw type clamps with new ones. I'm sure air has gotten in the system somehow. Another new cap to buy and wasting a few days burping this thing.

Anyway, I know I'm being a big baby just wanted to complain about how much I hate the cooling system on these cars and there tendency to suck in air through those weak Ford clamps. I hate working on the cooling system. So anyone who does overheat out of the blue, don't lose heart as I'm sure it will happen to you again. :thumbsup:

Rob

Last edited:
I'm at 75k right now and I replaced my cooling fan at about 38k. The fan is working fine. I didn't fine any leaks coming from any hoses while she was running. The last time I overheated, I had a crack in my Canton radiator tank and that led to it overheating. The previous time before that it just simply overheated and I replaced about 75% of those weak Ford clamps. I have a few screw type clamps that are pretty rusted that I'm going to take off.

I'm inspecting everything on Mon and new clamps are going everywhere, new radiator cap and I'm taking my time burping this bad boy.

Sorry fellas but I am not entertaining any ideas of any hg issues, no way, no how I aint receiving those hg vibes. lol I have a very safe tune with A/F in the 11.3 - 11.4 range. I overheated twice in my 01 Cobra with the same similar stuff.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
If your oil is good and no coolant from the exhaust I'd say your good. Maybe just freshening up the clamps and burping will do you fine. Good luck, I know how much of a headache this has been.-Shane

If your oil is good and no coolant from the exhaust I'd say your good. Maybe just freshening up the clamps and burping will do you fine. Good luck, I know how much of a headache this has been.-Shane

Shane I remember your thread and the video you posted as you attempted to burp the car. That's unfortunate that you happened to be one of the rare ones to get a hg failure. Yea I'm checking everything. I'm even going to pull every hose and make sure there are no issues there and I'm going to inspect the radiator for any possible elaks anywhere. I've been using the oem radiator since about 36k (Fluidyne leaked) so I'll be checking everything. Just had the car retuned a few days ago and she ran perfect according to my tuner and there were signs of any abnormal coolant temps while the test and tune was taking place. I'm sure its just a case of air getting in there from somewhere.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Yeah I remember me posting and you posting on it. I wanted to pull my hair out. They HG symptons were rite in front of me the whole time, live and learn. Good luck.-Shane

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Sorry to hear of your difficulty. The cooling system on these things is challenging at times, that is for sure.
I have been daily driving mine until I get a replacement beater, and the daily highs have been over 100f almost every day for a couple of weeks now.

I am feeling very lucky that my fan has not yet tanked and that although it is running way above where it normally does in traffic, once I get it rolling for a few miles it will drop back down to about 200. So I guess those open track cooling mods are for the most part working.

I am looking forward to picking up the used 04 SVT Focus that I bought today.
That will be my new beater and I will then order a Tiger-Racing hood for the thirstier 04 SVT and take apart and re-do a few things in preparation for some renewed Open Tracking as fall approaches and more reasonable temps are just around the corner.

I hope you get your cooling issues resolved OK, and I think it is a good move installing a Reische 170 stat. I will be converting back to one of those from my upper hose Evans/Behr conversion stat arraignment. I am convinced the Reische 170 will be a better set up.

Thanks for your input Jimmy. I know if anyone knows the trouble these cooling systems produce its you. I'll update the thread when its successfully burped. That SVT Focus is a good dd. You did well in picking that up. :beer:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Thats not true. I blew my drivers head gasket and the oil was fine as was the coolant.

That is correct. It is entirely dependent on where the breach occurs, whether it vents pressure into the cooling system holes, oil feed holes or oil drain back holes.

Coolant in oil, and oil in coolant are not the only places a blown head gasket can vent to. However, with that said ALL OF THE POSSIBLE OUTCOMES STILL SUCK!:nonono:

Thats not true. I blew my drivers head gasket and the oil was fine as was the coolant.

I was curious what kind of symptoms you experienced when you suspected a possible hg failure? Continously overheated? Just kept losing coolant through the cap no matter how many times you burped and replaced the cap?

That is correct. It is entirely dependent on where the breach occurs, whether it vents pressure into the cooling system holes, oil feed holes or oil drain back holes.

Coolant in oil, and oil in coolant are not the only places a blown head gasket can vent to. However, with that said ALL OF THE POSSIBLE OUTCOMES STILL SUCK!:nonono:

If pressure was being vented into the cooling system holes...what would you expect when you opened the crossover plug when the car is cold? Would you see a rush of coolant flowing out of that plug upon opening? Or would you just feel the gas/air rushing out as you started to unscrew the plug?

rtvickers

Established Member
Ive been having overheating issues for awhile also. I burped the system about everyday and still got air bubbles and overheating. So I did a combustion gas leak test. Comes up positive everytime. I think I have a blown headgasket or a busted head. Hopefully its just the gaskets. No other signs of gaskets issues. Car runs fine, just keeps spitting out the coolant. I havent drove it in about 2 weeks. I know your frustrations.

I would recommend doing this test. Its cheap and easy. It takes about 5 minutes or less.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
If my gauge ever got above 225 I'd turn the car OFF!! Sorry about the bad luck but you shouldn't be driving it above 240 that's Insane!

Ive been having overheating issues for awhile also. I burped the system about everyday and still got air bubbles and overheating. So I did a combustion gas leak test. Comes up positive everytime. I think I have a blown headgasket or a busted head. Hopefully its just the gaskets. No other signs of gaskets issues. Car runs fine, just keeps spitting out the coolant. I havent drove it in about 2 weeks. I know your frustrations.

I would recommend doing this test. Its cheap and easy. It takes about 5 minutes or less.

Testing the system is a great suggestion and I would have done the test but my car isn't spitting coolant with what sounds like is pretty frequent in your case. Its the first time it did it for me in over 2 years. Having seen so many threads where guys corrected their issues with a new cap or t-stat...well I figured its best to start small. If somehow this is the beginning of spitting coolant and overheating with greater frequency, I will do as you suggested. I appreciate the input. :beer:

Last edited:
If my gauge ever got above 225 I'd turn the car OFF!! Sorry about the bad luck but you shouldn't be driving it above 240 that's Insane!

I hear you. It got to 244F just as I was pulling into the driveway with the heater on full blast. With the 50/50 coolant mix I was still good by a few degrees but I agree its really not wise to push it. And just to show you how worthless that dummy gauge is, it was reading normal despite those temps. Thankfully, I always use the OBD II coolant temp monitor whenever I drive. I was actually planning on hopping on the highway for a 30min trip. If I had been relying on the dummy gauge I would have overheated badly and that dummy gauge wouldn't even have let me know until coolant and smoke was all over the place. I was very fortunate because who likes paying for a tow right.

Last edited:
Just thinking...anyone think its a big issue not having the o-ring on the coolant crossover plug? Mine fell apart recently when I removed the plug and haven't gotten to putting a new o-ring on the plug. I know it seems rather insignificant but when I troubleshoot I look at every possible thing regardless of how small it may be.

A.T

Established Member
Just thinking...anyone think its a big issue not having the o-ring on the coolant crossover plug? Mine fell apart recently when I removed the plug and haven't gotten to putting a new o-ring on the plug. I know it seems rather insignificant but when I troubleshoot I look at every possible thing regardless of how small it may be.

That o-ring fell apart on me and haven't had any overheating issues with the brand new reman engine, except for the freeze plug between 7 and 8. Good thing I bought it through Ford and they can do it under warranty. I also used teflon tape on that plug. I guy I worked with told me to drive it for 1,000 miles and re-check the freeze plug. Damn antifreeze isn't friendly on ceramic headers.

Users who are viewing this thread