Overheating and annoyed, just venting.

Rob, I know that you have a very early version of my thermostat. Being that you drive your car daily in NE winters I would be happy to exchange it for the newer version which will have a bit better warm up and cold weather performance.If this happened when the car was totally cold, you're good to go. After maybe the 1st or 2nd crossover top off I just crack the plug loose to see if the pressure will push out a little coolant then tighten it up quickly. At that point there should be zero air in the system. Also it should be noted that a funnel/burp procedure only needs to done once during the initial fill.

Joel that is a very kind offer. I wasn't aware that you had updated it. Honestly man...I am not opening up that thermostat housing again for the rest of the year! :lol1: I think I'm going to have to wait until next summer to buy the new t-stat as i just can't deal with doing another burp.

So I'm curious what kind of warm up and better performance is being seen with your updated t-stat by guys in colder climates? And yea its definitely burped. I saw much lower temps today than yesterday as well. In lots of stop and go traffic today it stayed between 82C - 86C. I love this t-stat!

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
So I'm curious what kind of warm up and better performance is being seen with your updated t-stat by guys in colder climates?
Sorry, I don't have any hard data for you on that but I'm assuming it should do a bit better because I eliminated the jiggle pin (like the Motorcraft) and added a stiffer spring/170* heat motor combo. This should reduce the amount of coolant unnecessarily getting by the diaphragm when ECT is below or close to opening temp. Warm to mild weather performance remains unchanged.

In fact I'd be happy to exchange any forum member's older Reische unit who wants maximum cold weather performance for half price of a new unit.

Last edited:

JMD0346

Established Member
Today I was seeing around 200 on my Lunar guage driving around normal. The sender is at the burp plug so I assume this is the hottest, or one of the, in the system.

Im running a stock t-stat and my cap has a slight leak. You can hear it hissing after the car is shut off for a few minutes. Im sure changing these two pieces with jims t-stat and a new cap would help out.

Any opinions?

01CV do you use a burp plug sender or a handheld to monitor your temps?

Today I was seeing around 200 on my Lunar guage driving around normal. The sender is at the burp plug so I assume this is the hottest, or one of the, in the system.

Im running a stock t-stat and my cap has a slight leak. You can hear it hissing after the car is shut off for a few minutes. Im sure changing these two pieces with jims t-stat and a new cap would help out.

Any opinions?

01CV do you use a burp plug sender or a handheld to monitor your temps?

Your temp monitor is more accurate than mine my friend. I'm using the OBD II analog to monitor my temps. I'm going to use my handheld next week to compare the two readings. Its time for me to do some gauges.

Sorry, I don't have any hard data for you on that but I'm assuming it should do a bit better because I eliminated the jiggle pin (like the Motorcraft) and added a stiffer spring/170* heat motor combo. This should reduce the amount of coolant unnecessarily getting by the diaphragm when ECT is below or close to opening temp. Warm to mild weather performance remains unchanged.

In fact I'd be happy to exchange any forum member's older Reische unit who wants maximum cold weather performance for half price of a new unit.

Do you foresee any future adjustments to the t-stat that you are offering now or have you pretty much pefected your product?

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Do you foresee any future adjustments to the t-stat that you are offering now or have you pretty much pefected your product?
It's hard to say... I'm always striving to make improvements to the thermostats because I want to make sure I'm giving you guys the very best product available. However I don't envision any design changes in the near future on this model.

Jefe

Established Member
The only thing I did find was that the hose that connects from the radiator tank to the t-stat housing had a crack from top to bottom. When I bent the hose in the cracked area I could see that webbed lining that is built into the hose
So this was the culprit?

I did the Reische stat just over 2 years ago and have yet to have any issues. Definitely wasn't a fun experience swapping it out though. Wound up snapping the tstat housing bolt and had to drill it out, had some difficulty burping the system and then directions were posted up here and on his site and I got it burped properly.

Still on the stock reservoir cap, hoses, clamps and stock fan at 50k miles. My car sees 100+ temps 3 months out of the year and has for 3 years now with no problems. I do need a temp gauge but the car feels great even in the heat. The AFCO h/e did help out a ton

So this was the culprit?

I did the Reische stat just over 2 years ago and have yet to have any issues. Definitely wasn't a fun experience swapping it out though. Wound up snapping the tstat housing bolt and had to drill it out, had some difficulty burping the system and then directions were posted up here and on his site and I got it burped properly.

Still on the stock reservoir cap, hoses, clamps and stock fan at 50k miles. My car sees 100+ temps 3 months out of the year and has for 3 years now with no problems. I do need a temp gauge but the car feels great even in the heat. The AFCO h/e did help out a ton

You know its hard to say if that was the culprit because while it had that huge crack along the seem, the lining wasn't split. Could have been the previous radiator cap. Either way the air is definitely out of it as the temps are now staying between 83C - 84C on the highway at about 70mph. Thinking of your situation I think I'm going to need new bolts the next go around. Do you have a part number on those bolts? Please don't tell me they are only available by buying another t-stat housing. lol

Jefe

Established Member
I drilled the broken bolt out and then drilled the hole larger to fit a better bolt in there. Wasnt about to put the same thing back in

Users who are viewing this thread