What motor oil to use???

Letson54

Established Member
I just bought my cobra and have yet to put many miles on it, and I see a sticker on the windshield where it had an oil change recently, but I dont trust that, and who knows what they put in there if they was looking to sale it anyway. I was thinking Royal Purple but Id like to hear what other people run or prefer.

bodge323

Established Member
Run a search this has been discussed many times. I use Motorcraft 5w20 semi synthetic, that is what Ford recommends. People use all different oils though.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
Mobile 1 syn 5w20 like alot of other users or redline. To many horror stories about RP engine oil, unless the new XP is better. Motorcraft semi syn is good and I use that in my Expedition.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Mobile 1 syn 5w20 like alot of other users or redline. To many horror stories about RP engine oil, unless the new XP is better. Motorcraft semi syn is good and I use that in my Expedition.

There are horror stories about every oil on the planet, very few are going to be valid cases where a main stream or boutique oil actually failed, no matter what brand you pick.

Over 90 percent of automotive and industrial equipment failures that are initially identified as lubrication failures, are after analyzing the root causes, found to actually be mostly contamination, an oil over use issue or an oil delivery failure in the equipment.

It's always easiest to blame the oil, yet that is very rarely the actual cause of engine problems.

Right now pretty much all Terminators are going to be out of warranty, and a lot of them are modded.
So because of this I always at least suggest as an optional performance upgrade Royal Purple HPS 5W-20 (part #31520, quart bottle) or HPS 5W-30 (part #31530, quart bottle).
For only a buck or two more than the regular duty warranty compliant RP API street oils, the HPS is an absolute smoking deal. In terms of performance and protection it is slotted about 1/2 way in between our very best XPR racing oil and the normal RP street oil. Yet it is priced closer to the street oils.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Amsoil signature series 0W30 if you wanna spend a crapload per quart, I use Valvoline Syn-Power 5W30, put 7 quarts in OP not 6

Cosmicdrifter

Established Member
I use Mobil 1 racing oil. It is bad for your cats, but it has the right stuff for high performance engines. Tim Matherly at MV Performance installed my Whipple and he has run more than his share of races.

He spends most of his time building motors, but he uses Mobile 1 and has never had a problem. Your engine will dyno higher with this oil.

It is $16 a quart, but I have a lot of money tied up in this car and want it to use the best.

Mobil 1 Racing 0W-30 is a very versatile racing oil developed for a wide variety of race engines and racing applications.

Boosted levels of anti-wear protection – well beyond those of ordinary automotive oils

Helps protect engines even during grueling racing applications.

Reduces internal friction

Helps maximize power output.

Outstanding shear stability and a robust additive package

Helps reduce oil breakdown and help to extend engine life, even under some of the most extreme conditions.

Compared to conventional racing oils and higher-viscosity synthetic motor oils

Provides faster flow to critical engine parts at low temperatures.

Helps deliver exceptional high-temperature protection, even at temperatures in excess of 400ºF (204ºC).

Mobil 1 Racing oils are not recommended for street use.
HTML:

After years of using German Castrol 0W-30, I've switched to Amsoil SS 0W-30 and love that I can run it to 20k. Those 3k - 5k oil changes are a waste of $. Amsoil 10W-30 when the hot summer comes though.

Users who are viewing this thread