What motor oil to use???

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I use Mobil 1 racing oil. It is bad for your cats, but it has the right stuff for high performance engines. Tim Matherly at MV Performance installed my Whipple and he has run more than his share of races.

He spends most of his time building motors, but he uses Mobile 1 and has never had a problem. Your engine will dyno higher with this oil.

It is $16 a quart, but I have a lot of money tied up in this car and want it to use the best.

Mobil 1 Racing 0W-30 is a very versatile racing oil developed for a wide variety of race engines and racing applications.

Boosted levels of anti-wear protection – well beyond those of ordinary automotive oils

Helps protect engines even during grueling racing applications.

Reduces internal friction

Helps maximize power output.

Outstanding shear stability and a robust additive package

Helps reduce oil breakdown and help to extend engine life, even under some of the most extreme conditions.

Compared to conventional racing oils and higher-viscosity synthetic motor oils

Provides faster flow to critical engine parts at low temperatures.

Helps deliver exceptional high-temperature protection, even at temperatures in excess of 400ºF (204ºC).

Mobil 1 Racing oils are not recommended for street use.
HTML:

Royal Purple XPR racing oils and Royal Purple HPS oils both have very high levels of ZDDP, yet can be used in catalytic converter equipped street cars for decades without poisoning the converters.
This is because we spend a lot of money buying the very best version of this additive that is available today. By using a superior version with extremely low volatility the phosphorous(the zinc isn't the problem chemical) from the compound does not become vaporized to get into the exhaust stream. Instead it stays in the oil doing it's job protecting metal parts and contributing to extremely robust oils with a very long service life.

There are a very small handful of other boutique top line synthetic oil companies that also spend the extra money on top shelf additive technology and top shelf base oils, a few are mentioned in this thread, and they are very good oils.

However none have the film strength that any Royal Purple oil with Synerlec has, and Synerlec is what helps set us apart as the very best of the best.

The normal RP street oils unfortunately can no longer have Synerlec due to the most recent API-SM and SN chemistry restrictions. So the amount of difference between us and the very best synthetics out there has narrowed a bit, but for buyers that need a warranty compliant oil or simply want a current API oil, Royal Purple will still be the best API-SN oil available today.

Most Terminators are not going to need a warranty compliant oil though.:p:-D

Royal Purple XPR racing oils and Royal Purple HPS oils both have very high levels of ZDDP, yet can be used in catalytic converter equipped street cars for decades without poisoning the converters.
This is because we spend a lot of money buying the very best version of this additive that is available today. By using a superior version with extremely low volatility the phosphorous(the zinc isn't the problem chemical) from the compound does not become vaporized to get into the exhaust stream. Instead it stays in the oil doing it's job protecting metal parts and contributing to extremely robust oils with a very long service life.

There are a very small handful of other boutique top line synthetic oil companies that also spend the extra money on top shelf additive technology and top shelf base oils, a few are mentioned in this thread, and they are very good oils.

However none have the film strength that any Royal Purple oil with Synerlec has, and Synerlec is what helps set us apart as the very best of the best.

The normal RP street oils unfortunately can no longer have Synerlec due to the most recent API-SM and SN chemistry restrictions. So the amount of difference between us and the very best synthetics out there has narrowed a bit, but for buyers that need a warranty compliant oil or simply want a current API oil, Royal Purple will still be the best API-SN oil available today.

Most Terminators are not going to need a warranty compliant oil though.:p:-D

Awesome stuff right there. :beer: So what kind of oil change intervals can be run on the 5W-30 Royal Purple HPS?

Last edited:

Cosmicdrifter

Established Member
After further research and reviewing an analysis of Mobil 1 0W-30 Racing Oil, I've decided that the additive package of this oil is too high for non-race engines. The zinc level is at about 2400 ppm, and that is high enough to be corrosive - meaning it is good protection for an engine that sees a 500 mile race and then the oil is changed, but not for an engine that keeps that oil in it for 6 months.

So if you want the protection a robust ZDDP package, mix two quarts of the racing oil to your regular Mobil 1 0W-30 and that brings the zinc level down to about 1200-1300 PPM (which is about the same as Royal Purple or Joe Gibbs I think).

It will also strengthen your moly level.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Awesome stuff right there. :beer: So what kind of oil change intervals can be run on the 5W-30 Royal Purple HPS?

First two Royal Purple oil changes we recommend doing at the normal factory recommended time. This gives the Royal Purple time to clean out the inside of the engine(which it is going to do), without worrying about plugging up any oil filters.

After the engine is clean you can go 12 months or 12 thousand miles.

If you are using the Royal Purple extended life synthetic oil filter on the extended drain interval, it will go the 12K. Part # 20-820.

With other filters do at least one filter change and top off the oil.

mach1033

Established Member
First two Royal Purple oil changes we recommend doing at the normal factory recommended time. This gives the Royal Purple time to clean out the inside of the engine(which it is going to do), without worrying about plugging up any oil filters.

After the engine is clean you can go 12 months or 12 thousand miles.

If you are using the Royal Purple extended life synthetic oil filter on the extended drain interval, it will go the 12K. Part # 20-820.

With other filters do at least one filter change and top off the oil.

So Jimmy would you say the the XPR is on par with the Joe Gibbs racing oil? I could never understand why some of the people that I have spoken to over the years about which oil is " best " that the majority would put down RP. I have always used RP along with there oil filter and I never had an issue with it. The only reason why I mentioned Joe Gibbs is because that is what my engine builder uses. RP I can get at the local autozone or pep boys but the Gibbs I have to order online.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
So Jimmy would you say the the XPR is on par with the Joe Gibbs racing oil? I could never understand why some of the people that I have spoken to over the years about which oil is " best " that the majority would put down RP. I have always used RP along with there oil filter and I never had an issue with it. The only reason why I mentioned Joe Gibbs is because that is what my engine builder uses. RP I can get at the local autozone or pep boys but the Gibbs I have to order online.

I don't think you can buy a better oil than Royal Purple XPR.

You would not believe some of the incredible engine save stories that get called and emailed in.

One was a guy running one of the NASCAR 1/2 mile circle track classes and hit something on track. It put a hole in his oil pan according to the story and he did 17 more laps and finished second.

Pulled the engine, no blue parts at all. They replaced all the rod bearings even though they looked OK. Buttoned it back up with a new pan and won the next week end with the same engine.

The story came from a friend of his who owns a stock body, stock chassis, Freightliner diesel truck at Bonneville.
Joint Venture Race Truck Home

mach1033

Established Member
I don't think you can buy a better oil than Royal Purple XPR.

You would not believe some of the incredible engine save stories that get called and emailed in.

One was a guy running one of the NASCAR 1/2 mile circle track classes and hit something on track. It put a hole in his oil pan according to the story and he did 17 more laps and finished second.

Pulled the engine, no blue parts at all. They replaced all the rod bearings even though they looked OK. Buttoned it back up with a new pan and won the next week end with the same engine.

The story came from a friend of his who owns a stock body, stock chassis, Freightliner diesel truck at Bonneville.
Joint Venture Race Truck Home

Ok I'm sold on it. That is some great engine protection.

03kbredfire

Established Member
XPR as well. It has some of the finest characteristics for good all use oil that I have seen. Not too thick for our cam followers. 11.6cSt @ 100c . Good amount of ZDDP. Nicely matched amount of detergents. Not too much Moly. Great TBN.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
So where can I buy xpr ? I been using the royal purple from advance auto but never knew bout xpr ?

If you have Speed Shops that sell Royal Purple near by, they will probably have the XPR series in stock.

Your local Napa and O'Reilly's can usually special order XPR series oils and sometimes Advanced Auto, Carquest and Pep boys can too in some locations.

XPR and HPS are definitely available at:
Summit Racing
Jegs
Pace Performance
and Lucky7trucks

Our filters are available and usually in stock at Pep Boys and able to be special ordered by Auto Zone.
The RP extended life synthetic oil filter can be order by all the online guys I mentioned above except Jegs.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
What about the HPS oil?

The HPS is about half way in between the old RP API-SL formulation and our very best XPR series in performance and protection.

The HPS is what most Terminators should probably be running once the availability get's better unless someone just wants to run the best oil available or the intensity of the application justifies the significantly more expensive XPR series.

Very few Terminators are going to actually need a warranty compliant API-SN oil. So for only a buck or two more than our API oils, the HPS gives a huge increase in performance and protection.

cruisemissile

Established Member
I currently run Mobil 1. No cats

What does the XPR cost per qrt?

Is there any reson why I can't run XPR
on the street?

Also why are some using 7qrts? Seems a little high. I know
the dipstick reads a bit low but in my experience a lot of fords
do.

SilverCobra7

Philippians 4:13
Established Member
I love royal purple... Run it on my F-150 FX4! Haven't run it in the Cobra yet. Will be on my next oil change, currently running Mobil 1 synthetic.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I currently run Mobil 1. No cats

What does the XPR cost per qrt?
Mid to high teens per quart.
Royal Purple XPR Racing Motor Oil - SummitRacing.com
xpr+5w30 - JEGS High Performance
Royal Purple XPR 5w30

Is there any reson why I can't run XPR
on the street?
No, none except it's a bit expensive and may be more protection than you actually need.

Also why are some using 7qrts? Seems a little high. I know
the dipstick reads a bit low but in my experience a lot of fords
do.

Road racers and autocrossers are partly to blame, the drain back is not as good as some other engines and high G cornering and hurt engines from oil starvation prompted many of us to "fill it up". I'm running 9 quarts:eek::uh oh: of XPR 5W-30 in a Canton Road Race pan.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Interesting stuff, right now I use mobil 1 5w30 extended performance. I was curious and wanted more info on the RP HPS 5w30, this thread gave some useful info. I currently have RP in my diff, and just ordered some RP synchromax, so it would be nice to have all fluids from the same manufacturer. I also put less than 2k miles a year, so one oil change a year for me. I still use the motorcraft 820s filters.

I just always go back to hearing peoples so-called horror stories when running RP motor oil that makes me nervous. But I never see the facts to put the blame on the oil.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread