Whipple Meth injection project

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
after alot of research, I pulled the trigger and ordered a whipple spacer that will be used for the installation of meth injection post blower - pre intercooler.

Many different oppinions on the effectivness on PD blowers, but without easy access to E85 in my area this looks to be a promising alternative.

I plan to install the nozzles in the spacer similiar to a NOS plate. I will need to get a bypass bushing machined for the height increase of the spacer, longer blower belt, and alter the bracket for the throttle cable thats resides on top of the whipple. I'm sure there will be other obstacles that arise, but hopefully the end result will have some good results. I already have a meth injection kit from my old foxbody, so from a cost standpoint I dont forsee this project being to costly.

Any ideas or thoughts are welcome, :beer:

here is the whipple spacer I ordered
23whipplespacer.jpg

Blueline

Established Member
Meth injection and long tubes are going to be my next mods. Im curious how this goes. Good luck and def. keep us posted. :beer:

Ironhand

Banned
I dont see it being of use since it will have very little time to work before being reheated or the temp being reset by the intercooler itself.

The best way is post intercooler just like on a turbo setup.

2004silvercobra

Established Member
I dont see it being of use since it will have very little time to work before being reheated or the temp being reset by the intercooler itself.

Why is that all that every one looks at. I have had water meth on my car probably longer then most (since 04) and having it pre blower it still cools the charge better then not having it and most of all and the biggest reason of having meth is that it boost octane level and that's where your gonna see most of your gains by adding some timing anyways...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

STERLING351

The Chuppacabra
Established Member

I agree. But maybe it wont have the instant cooling effect, but if he does long wide open runs or has it come on at a low boost i will do fine cooling because of the length of time it is activated...guess the dyno will tell

Ironhand

Banned
Why is that all that every one looks at. I have had water meth on my car probably longer then most (since 04) and having it pre blower it still cools the charge better then not having it and most of all and the biggest reason of having meth is that it boost octane level and that's where your gonna see most of your gains by adding some timing anyways...

Probably because its been tested before and it actually doesnt cool the intake charger after the intercooler, nor does nitrous if its sprayed pre blower.

If you want octane it would be a better idea to spray 110 or higher to get enough octane out of it to help prevent donation.

IE, if you have 8 x 60 or 80lb injectors, you will have to spray enough gas to bring up the octane level.

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member

I dont believe the air charge will get reheated much post blower, as the charge exits it will be fogged by methanol..... then proceed into the intercooler which in my application has 40* coolant passing through it via the Killer Chiller.

I dont disagree that post intercooler is a good location, but my concern with injecting in the lower post intercooler is equal distribution to all cylinders.

and as you also mention in another post maybe the use of Torco could be injected instead of methanol, as I'm mainly looking for octane enhancement for possilby adding another degree or two of timing.:beer:

Ironhand

Banned
I dont believe the air charge will get reheated much post blower, as the charge exits it will be fogged by methanol..... then proceed into the intercooler which in my application has 40* coolant passing through it via the Killer Chiller.

I dont disagree that post intercooler is a good location, but my concern with injecting in the lower post intercooler is equal distribution to all cylinders.

and as you also mention in another post maybe the use of Torco could be injected instead of methanol, as I'm mainly looking for octane enhancement for possilby adding another degree or two of timing.:beer:

The best way would be to spray race gas IMO.

But spraying 100 octane wouldnt be all the beneficial since the additives in both pump gas and race gas are the same or similar then I would use a much higher octane fuel to help bring the total octane up. 93+alittle 100 wont do much due to shear volume but 93+110, 112, 114 would help bring the effective total octane level up enough to add 2-4 degrees of timing depending on where its at now.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Why not Propane injection? It's around 147 octane.

The Buick GN guys have been doing it for years. Lot of Vipers run it too.

Ironhand

Banned
Why not Propane injection? It's around 147 octane.

The Buick GN guys have been doing it for years. Lot of Vipers run it too.

Its only 120.

Propane and Nitrous would be a better idea.

The propane and nitrous molecules actually bind together when they are sprayed and they effectively drag each other down into the cylinders.

It also helps that propane operates in the same PSI range as the fuel noid in a N2O setup. The only issue is that propane may effect SOME noids and it is a wise idea to periodically pull the noid apart and inspect it to see how it is holding up.

Shaun@AED

There's more mass of heat in the blower rotors than the air they heat up. Why not spray on the rotors themselves? Cool down the parts that actually heat the air....

itSSlow98

Established Member
Sprayign meth pre-turbo is becomign a big thing now. They say one nozzle pre turbo is good for about a 20 degree drop in temp, then that air gets cycled through the intercooler and dropped more, then spray after the intercooler and imagien the drop. I would consider putting a nozzle pre blower and post blower. I think that would be ideal.

I am turbo but I am spraying just dual nozzles right before the TB. On the dyno I was getting conisistent IAT of 68 degrees on the dyno. If I threw a nozzle pre turbo imgaine what that would do as well.

STERLING351

The Chuppacabra
Established Member
Sprayign meth pre-turbo is becomign a big thing now. They say one nozzle pre turbo is good for about a 20 degree drop in temp, then that air gets cycled through the intercooler and dropped more, then spray after the intercooler and imagien the drop. I would consider putting a nozzle pre blower and post blower. I think that would be ideal.

I am turbo but I am spraying just dual nozzles right before the TB. On the dyno I was getting conisistent IAT of 68 degrees on the dyno. If I threw a nozzle pre turbo imgaine what that would do as well.

What about the air vapor condensing and turning back to water droplet in the intercooler?

itSSlow98

Established Member
What about the air vapor condensing and turning back to water droplet in the intercooler?

From my talks with Rodney at AIS by the time the meth hits the impeller/rotors for supercharger its already so fine there really is no risk of damaging anything. I run 100% meth btw no water mixed in.

STERLING351

The Chuppacabra
Established Member
From my talks with Rodney at AIS by the time the meth hits the impeller/rotors for supercharger its already so fine there really is no risk of damaging anything. I run 100% meth btw no water mixed in.

Oh ok the 100% meth helps that problem alot, i think here in south texas with everyday during summer at 100*+ most wouldnt have a problem either, i was just figuring if you have a big intercooler and then it causes water to settle in the bottom.

2004silvercobra

Established Member
Running straight meth takes the whole cooling part out of the picture, the water is the cooling part of water meth and straight meth I believe will actually burn hotter which isn't good for the motor....

itSSlow98

Established Member
Running straight meth takes the whole cooling part out of the picture, the water is the cooling part of water meth and straight meth I believe will actually burn hotter which isn't good for the motor....

Please do some research before putting your two cents in. My iat's dropped over 60 degrees with 100% meth to just about ambient air temps.

STERLING351

The Chuppacabra
Established Member

The meth does do some cooling, yes you do get better cooling with water mix though.

2004silvercobra

Established Member
Please do some research before putting your two cents in. My iat's dropped over 60 degrees with 100% meth to just about ambient air temps.

You might want to take your own advise and read a little yourself son.. I have been using this since these cars have came out and have done a ton of research and water doesn't ignite so that is your cooling part of the process and meth will cool to a small point but does ignite and doesn't cool like water will and is why you add water to the process...
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_injection_(engines)

Users who are viewing this thread