Reische T-stat makes a difference!

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I had some cooling mods done while the tranny was out for a clutch swap. I had the LDC cooling mod done, reische 170 t-stat and had the coolant flushed.

Today it's about 86* and humid, according to my aeroforce gauge the lowest temp I seen on the highway at 60mph was 172*. It normally stays in the 172-177 range on the highway. City driving the highest I've seen it go (not today) on a even hotter day was around 194*. Normally it's around 188-192 city driving.

Now the charge temp/iat2 is a different story,lol. Today on the highway it was staying in the mid 120's. Last night I went for a cruise and it was about 75* out and my charge temp was around 116-120*. Needless to say I'm happy with the little cooling mods I've done and give me a little piece of mind.

Zacharyx

Established Member
Good stuff, killer chiller or larger HE would be a good mod as well, I just noticed the a/a version of the killer chiller and have been considering it

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Good stuff, killer chiller or larger HE would be a good mod as well, I just noticed the a/a version of the killer chiller and have been considering it

I do already have a gords h/e, if my car was to see track duty I would really consider the killer chiller. In all honesty I haven't seen the aftermarket h/e make much difference at all compared to the oem one. I bought it new off a member on here for a good price.

Last edited:

RichM1983

Established Member
Wow my car in the 90's here in WV will run between 200 and 210...... Should I be worried? This is verified with a Autometer Lunar Gauge.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Wow my car in the 90's here in WV will run between 200 and 210...... Should I be worried? This is verified with a Autometer Lunar Gauge.

200 is OK 210 is too hot for my taste, I see about 190 cruising temps in south Florida with the Stant 14138, if my car was a DD I'd surely have one of Joel's stats, but it's a garage queen in the summer months..

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
Here is Texas, it's obviously pretty hot (109 y'day). That said, if I'm in stop n go traffic with the a/c on, I'm going to see upwards of 220F if I keep the A/C on....I think once the car gets that hot, there is just no cooling it down as the stock fan just can't keep up. Once the a/c is turned off, it will slowly start to cool back down. If i'm at cruise with the A/C on, even with the hot temps, I see around 197F ...this is with the Reische t-stat. However, I will preface this in that I have a HUGE FMIC vs a smaller heat exchanger. I think I may go to an 80/20 water/antifreeze mix to see if that helps things since I'm using 50/50 currently.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Here is Texas, it's obviously pretty hot (109 y'day). That said, if I'm in stop n go traffic with the a/c on, I'm going to see upwards of 220F if I keep the A/C on....I think once the car gets that hot, there is just no cooling it down as the stock fan just can't keep up. Once the a/c is turned off, it will slowly start to cool back down. If i'm at cruise with the A/C on, even with the hot temps, I see around 197F ...this is with the Reische t-stat. However, I will preface this in that I have a HUGE FMIC vs a smaller heat exchanger. I think I may go to an 80/20 water/antifreeze mix to see if that helps things since I'm using 50/50 currently.

Yeah it gets really hot down there. My temps are also with the a/c off which helps I'm sure.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I do already have a gords h/e, if my car was to see track duty I would really consider the killer chiller. In all honesty I haven't seen the aftermarket h/e make much difference at all compared to the oem one. I bought it new off a member on here for a good price.

I recommend a Reische stat for all Terminators.:thumbsup:

Gords heat exchangers are top shelf and will accept fans and any H/E with fans is going to work better especially in stop and go traffic.

A Killer Chiller of course is the ultimate solution.

bambinov8

600WHP LOL
Established Member
I have the same tstat , along with a fluydine heat exchanger and e85 ... My cruising temps on a 90+ deg day here in Florida are 180-188 ... My intake air temps seems to stay between 116-123

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
So I would think that the Reische t-stat will allow the engine to run cooler ONLY IF the radiator and fan system can remove the heat.

When its 110+ here in AZ and the A/C is running full cycle my temps get to 210. I set the Hi speed fan for 194 but the system cannot keep up and the car still runs at 210. I would put in a Reische t-stat but I don't think it will help.

The fan appears to be in good shape and make lots of noise and moves lots of air as expected.

If I am missing something please inform
thanks

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ditto, Jimmy. The Reische thermostat definitely should be on every Terminator's mod list. Very effective and very inexpensive.

Zacharyx

Established Member
So I would think that the Reische t-stat will allow the engine to run cooler ONLY IF the radiator and fan system can remove the heat.

When its 110+ here in AZ and the A/C is running full cycle my temps get to 210. I set the Hi speed fan for 194 but the system cannot keep up and the car still runs at 210. I would put in a Reische t-stat but I don't think it will help.

The fan appears to be in good shape and make lots of noise and moves lots of air as expected.

If I am missing something please inform
thanks

What Tstat do you have now?? and where does your low speed fan come on.

horspla2000

Established Member
There is info with the new stat as to where you should set your "fan on" setting. I just put mine in tonight. Rattle Snake, yes, you are right. This stat will open sooner, but it would not change your scenario. There are instructions with the stat to use more water in your coolant/water mix, and to use water wetter. I will try to post a pic of the paper here in a few.

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
What Tstat do you have now?? and where does your low speed fan come on.

Stock t-stat. I set the low speed for around 186. don't remember the exact #. What is the average opening temp of the stock t-stat?

I think the hi speed fan runs when the car is warmed up and A/C is on MAX anyway though.
:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread