GT500 H/E on Cobra

BMR Tech

Been wanting to tackle this for a while. My end goal is to have the Jabsco, the GT500 H/E, and replace all of the hose with 3/4". For now, I just installed the H/E.

I figure, Ford went bigger and better on the 13's with both the pump and the H/E....so I may as well, too. You get to a point where the 03/04 Cooler (under blower) is the bottleneck / inefficient point. The GT500 Cooler is much better, unfortunately. The 4.6 can only have so much intercooler there.

This is an Afco Dual Pass, it took a little modding and a parts store run....but wasnt too bad, at all.

20140124_172836_zps7uiokywe.jpg

20140124_182042_zpsgatjtqwy.jpg

gabe1530

Banned
very nice! that H/E is huge! how was wiring in the jabsco pump?

yes, the stock intercooler isnt that great but i really want to run this:
Cobra Engineering LLC
i think with upgraded lines, bigger h/e & pump this would make an amazing difference.

0-MYSTACHROME-4

Established Member
would love to see how everything turns out. Would also love to see the front bumper cover on and see how the H/E looks behind it. looking good so far!

BMR Tech

I have not put the Jabsco in yet. It shouldnt be very hard, though. Just take the stock connector, and connect it to the Jabsco. Its only two wires.

Yeah, I actually finished this like a week ago. Its working well, Ive taken the car out a few times.

This H/E is slightly narrower than the Afco (Cobra Specific) that it replaced....there is a little gap on the ends. I will snap a good pic tomorrow. I plan on taking the car out tomorrow night for some fun, so I will be sure to snap a good pic when I am cleaning her up.

TVSCobra

Established Member
Looks like I would need to relocate my KC if i did this. So this Pic of the heat exchanger is the 13+ GT500 AFCO unit?

stangfreak

Established Member
would be cool if someone would make a complete kit for us to buy. I would be interested

racebronco2

Established Member
Looks great. Increased the surface that's a plus. The better pump would help also. Hopefully you have recorded some data before so we can see the difference afterwards in similar outside temps.

The problem i have found is the bottle neck is not enough airflow going into the engine compartment. It also looks like some of the surface area will be covered by the bumper cover, it still will aid a little in cooling.

BMR Tech

20140201_173521_zpsoe0iayrp.jpg

I have the bottom of the H/E is the same location as the bottom of the factory bracket. There is quite a bit of clearance.

TVSCobra

Established Member
Looking forward to iat2 data, as I'm sure others are waiting for data on the Griffin intercooler I will be installing soon.

BMR Tech

Unfortunately, I won't really have any solid "test" data...

If someone likes, after the Jabsco goes in, I can post some IAT2 data.

Actually, since I still have the stock Bosch Cooler Pump, maybe I will do a same day, back to back test, if anyone is interested. I could do a 30 minute cruise, some WOT pulls, followed by like a 10 minute idle, with the stock pump, and the Jabsco.

TVSCobra

Established Member
That's a great pump. Last I checked Imarine has them for around 150.00. Please post whatever IAT info you can.

Last edited:

BMR Tech

I paid like $195 for mine, it was the cheapest I could find them anywhere. I think it was from Northern Marine on Ebay.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
very nice! that H/E is huge! how was wiring in the jabsco pump?

yes, the stock intercooler isnt that great but i really want to run this:
Cobra Engineering LLC
i think with upgraded lines, bigger h/e & pump this would make an amazing difference.

That kit plus some new plumbing in between the pump and the intercooler should gain some nice flow increases.

OP, what size is the inlet/outlet on the H/E?

BMR Tech

It's working good.

I had the car at the track Saturday, and the IAT2 never got above 130~.....but it was in the 70's...

I haven't really had a reason to install the Jabsco yet....so I havent even thought about testing.

When I do decide to install it, though, I will do my best to get some good data for you guys.

Users who are viewing this thread