GT500 H/E on Cobra

TVSCobra

Established Member
Can you give us a parts list and everything you did to make this heat exchanger fit? Also what is the part number for this unit?

Thanks

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Here is something I forgot to post when I did my C&R GT500 heat exchanger on my car.. I have a Miezere coolant pump.. The damn heat exchanger is so big I don't even get swirling in my tank!!! So it's to small imo for the setup.. I'm looking at going with a bigger pump to move the fluid faster.. I did see big drop in IAT's on my setup though.. But comparing the size from the stock Vortech unit the other unit is like comparing a Corolla to a semi truck lol

BMR Tech

I used this unit:

AFCO 80280NDP

I essentially made the bottom of the H/E match the height of the bottom of the OEM Mounting Brackets. So, the actual Heat Exchanger is the exact height, as the metal brackets that came off....from the ground.

To do this, I had to trim out the OEM Metal Bumper Bar. The pics above are pretty explanatory, for that.

As for the hoses, I simply went to Advanced Auto parts and purchased (1) 3/4" hose adapter. I purchased a hose that I found behind the counter, that had basically two 90 degree bends, on one hose. I chopped those ends off, attached them with the hose adapter, and ran a straight hose to the factory metal lines.

Unfortunately, when I got my original Afco (cobra unit) - I didnt get the hoses....so I just "made it work" with a combination of cut factory metal lines, and hose I have laying around.....so I cannot say exactly what to do. I can say, it is fairly simply to make it all work. Running hose is quite easy.

As for making the actual H/E fit to the bumper bar - I "flattened" out the aluminum tabs....and simply drilled holes in the bumper, and attached them.

BMR Tech

Here is something I forgot to post when I did my C&R GT500 heat exchanger on my car.. I have a Miezere coolant pump.. The damn heat exchanger is so big I don't even get swirling in my tank!!! So it's to small imo for the setup.. I'm looking at going with a bigger pump to move the fluid faster.. I did see big drop in IAT's on my setup though.. But comparing the size from the stock Vortech unit the other unit is like comparing a Corolla to a semi truck lol

That's odd. I have the stock 114K mile Bosch pump, and I get swirling in my resevoir. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread