Which exhaust is on the quiet side???

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
I'm on my 6th Mustang. All my previous mustangs were 5.0's but my 2003 Cobra is the first 4.6 I've owned. In the past I would always install dual-cat H-pipes and Flowmaster "American Thunder" cat-backs on my Mustangs. This set up always sounded great but the noise always got me in trouble with my neighbors and the police.

I want to upgrade my stock exhaust from 2 1/4" to 2 1/2" but I'm not sure what exhaust to choose??? I want something that flows well but is not too noisey...I don't want to sacrafice performance but the less noise the better.

I like the cost(only $350 bucks or so) of the "American Thunder" systems for the S/C 4.6 Cobra but if they're as loud as the 5.0 systems, I'll probably opt for something a little more expensive and on the quiet side.

I don't plan on headers but I'll probably upgrade the h-pipe for a nice flowing dual-cat set up.

Any opinions on what exhaust(from the exhaust manifold back) I should run on my Cobra???

Thanks...

Later...Dave

CobraTime

Established Member
MagnaFlows sound good and are quiet and pro chambers are all around queiter then H pipes & X pipes, if your running headers and want it somewhat quiet then defenitly Magnaflow or Dynomax. If you care to spend the money Id get pro chamber midpipe. Those exhaust sound good and not to loud not to quiet ethier hope that helps

Last edited:

tv's 03

Established Member
I use a Mac o/r H and flowmaster 2.5 AT cat back. Its not that loud. The 4.6 is different than the 5.0, and the superflows have more baffles than the old 40 series that came with the older 5.0 systems. Its probably the quietest system out there.

Edit: I picked up an average of 2 mph in the 1/4, with this mod alone. I had all the mods in my sig and did the cat-back last.

Last edited:

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I would go the o/r H and magnapack muffler route to quiet it down a bit... j/k, I heard a steeda c/b and catted X combo that was pretty darn quiet till the guy got on it. May want to look into that. But the flowmaster C/b and o/r H combo's I've heard didn't sound THAT loud either. May want to just go to a car cruise and check the sound out yourself if it's that big of an issue.

cobra1718

Established Member
If you want louder than stock but still aggressive sounding go with the magnaflow catted xpipe with the magnaflow exhaust I sounds awesome IMO

astippich

Established Member
catted prochamber+fr500 c/b=louder and throaty but won't piss off neighbors
catted prochamber + steeda/borla14858 will be a little louder than above setup
I run stingers+mrt catted h, you don't want that setup if you want quiet

Last edited:

Wintermute

Banned
If you want it quiet just keep the stock H and get Magnaflow catbacks. There's no point in changing out the mid-pipe unless you want a more agressive sound, it doesn't add power.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Win7ermute said:
If you want it quiet just keep the stock H and get Magnaflow catbacks. There's no point in changing out the mid-pipe unless you want a more agressive sound, it doesn't add power.

Really...no power with a mid-pipe upgrade??? How many cats do we have on the stock Cobra mid-pipe??? On my previous 5.0's(I've owned 5 throughout the years), upgrading from the stock 4 cat h-pipe to a dual HFC set up was worth a good 5-10 HP!!! The 03'/04' Cobra cats must flow pretty well...

Well...if there's no point in changing it...I'll just stick to a cat-back and call it a day huh!!!

It seems like the general consensus is the Magnaflow cat-back is fairly quiet...Dynomax is cheaper and I like their tips better...how does the Dynomax sound compare to the Magnaflow???

Anybody want to chime in???

Later...Dave

Last edited:

wheelhopper

Established Member
I have a UPR catted X-pipe with a Ford Racing FR500 catback. It has a different sound but is very quiet. Most people don't know I have a different exhaust on the car. If your looking for stealth, this is your set up.

astippich

Established Member
The mid pipe is worth 5-15hp depending on hp level your at. Not a huge gain. There are plenty of guys on here runnin alot op hp through the stock mid though.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
astippich said:
The mid pipe is worth 5-15hp depending on hp level your at. Not a huge gain. There are plenty of guys on here runnin alot op hp through the stock mid though.

Good to know...every little bit adds up!!!

I'll replace the cat-back first and the mid-pipe later...now if I could only decide on the cat-back???

What do you guys think of the 3" Dynomax cat back??? I've tried the Dynomax cb on a previous 5.0 but it was too quiet. That was many years ago when loud and obnoxious didn't really bother me. Since I kinda want something on the quiet/stealth side...the Dynomax should fit the criteria right???

Even the tips are close to the stock size. Does anybody know how the system(Part#19314) flows???

I can get it for about $415 from summit.

Any opinions??? Thanks...

Later...Dave

mattmoto441

Ridin Dirty #001
Established Member
Ford racing is quiet i have it on my 03 cobra and like it but i need more noise (anyone wanna trade) magnaflow magna paks are vary loud i have them on my 2000 gt standard magnaflows are quiet

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
mattmoto441 said:
Ford racing is quiet i have it on my 03 cobra and like it but i need more noise (anyone wanna trade) magnaflow magna paks are vary loud i have them on my 2000 gt standard magnaflows are quiet

Which Ford Racing exhaust do you have???

Later...Dave

chrisdf_382

Banned
my weak burnout

I have a video of me doing a quick burnout and the wife filmed from the rear...

this is a 3inch ultra flow catback with stock H pipe... ...i do not recommend this catback with a offroad-X.. it is groce sounding... with the stock H on it it sounds decent.. just click on my videos and u will see it... of course u have to have a myspace account to view the vid.. go figure.. peace

http://www.myspace.com/christopherfrye

mattmoto441

Ridin Dirty #001
Established Member
SCT2003 said:
Which Ford Racing exhaust do you have???

Later...Dave

well they look just like borlas. im not sure what else there was from ford racing? it dose have the 4in tips

Last edited:

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
chrisdf_382 said:
I have a video of me doing a quick burnout and the wife filmed from the rear...

this is a 3inch ultra flow catback with stock H pipe... ...i do not recommend this catback with a offroad-X.. it is groce sounding... with the stock H on it it sounds decent.. just click on my videos and u will see it... of course u have to have a myspace account to view the vid.. go figure.. peace

http://www.myspace.com/christopherfrye

It doesn't sound that bad with the stock h-pipe...

So, you've also heard it with an offroad-X...was that on your car too??? Explain why you don't recommend it with an offroad-X...did you mean it sounds gross???

Thanks for your input...

Later...Dave

chrisdf_382

Banned
SCT2003 said:
It doesn't sound that bad with the stock h-pipe...

So, you've also heard it with an offroad-X...was that on your car too??? Explain why you don't recommend it with an offroad-X...did you mean it sounds gross???

Thanks for your input...

Later...Dave

meaning that when I threw the off road-x on... it did not sound satisfying at all... there is a disticntion of loud/annoying and there is also the distinction of loud/sounds great. And it definately was annoying to me and I LOVE loud exhausts. HELL, where i am you only have to smog your car ONCE and thats it!! I guess it falls more along the lines of the BBK off road X-pipe because thats what it was... PLUS i have way more toruque down low with the stock H (go figure). With the ultraflows you get a stright thru design type of mufflers and is suppose to be the best flowing muffler period!!.. SIMILAR to the hooker max flows in design, not flow... ...and being 3 inches and that off road, it just got way too stupid sounding. As far a description of what it sounded like... it was ok sounding in the car... but you could here how SLAP HAPPY the exhaust was and I did not like that...... thats about in my experience. KILL

Last edited:

nrmustang

Established Member
Win7ermute said:
There's no point in changing out the mid-pipe,........ it doesn't add power.

I usually dont say anything, but this time I've gotta say:dw: ........That was the dumbest thing I've read!

I have had 7 Mustangs: 4 Foxes, 03' Mach1 and two 03' Cobra's and have swapped out the mid-pipe on most of them (catless and catted) and have to say from a lot of EXPERIENCE that a mid-pipe is a great power-adder.

Sure if you go CATLESS you MIGHT lose some bottom end, and when I was getting ready to swap my mid-pipe out on my Cobra I was even worried a little about boost drop off.

But my fears were unfounded as the swap not only didn't drop any boost, but gave me a considerable HP/TQ improvement.

Oh yeah I have the Borla 14858's and a Magnaflow CAT-X which is pretty quiet when your easy on the go pedal, but is pretty raw and throaty when you get on it.

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
I just had a Borla 14858 CB installed with stock exhaust manifolds, and stock H-Pipe. I love it. It is deep, and quiet at idle, but it has a very muscular sound at WOT. This CB replaced my stock one with magnaflows welded in, and sounds much better.

I highly recommend it :)

Users who are viewing this thread