Which exhaust is on the quiet side???

Wintermute

Banned
nrmustang said:
I usually dont say anything, but this time I've gotta say:dw: ........That was the dumbest thing I've read!

O RLY ??

Maybe you should read up from vendors on this site who have done many terminator mid-pipe swaps and consistently shown minimal hp gains, like 5-7.

The mid-pipe is not where these cars are restricted.

Last edited:

nrmustang

Established Member
Win7ermute said:
O RLY ??

Maybe you should read up from vendors on this site who have done many terminator mid-pipe swaps and consistently shown minimal hp gains, like 5-7.

The mid-pipe is not where these cars are restricted.

Yes REALLY, I dont have to READ others findings, I have findings of MY OWN!
I agree with you that the Mid-pipe is not the BIGGEST restriction on these cars, yet it is a restriction.

And most people looking to improve performance dont stop at a cat-back and call it good. Ever heard the term FULL EXHAUST?

Theres a reason for that, enthusiasts extract all the power they can. And one key part is the MID-PIPE.

How long have you been around performance Mustangs? How many have you personally had? Sure you have a couple parts on your Cobra, but it doesnt sound like your a real car guy.:poke:

Wintermute

Banned
You sir, are a moron. So you have owned a bunch of mustangs, and 2 terminators (lord knows why) which is precisely one more than me. I dont give a damn about your fox bodies, they are not at issue.

The mid-pipe offers pathetic power gains when compared to a simple cat-back/cai combination. That is the experience of many folks on this board. Folks who have terminators. The OP was concerned about loudness, obviously it would not make sense for him to change out his mid-pipe for a couple of horsepower unless he already has an otherwise full CPIE mod.

Probably the reason I am more of a "car guy" than you is because I realize that researching and learning from others is > than fumbling around with a wrench in my driveway then professing to know more than others.

:smmon: :read: :smmon:

chrisdf_382

Banned
nrmustang said:
Yes REALLY, I dont have to READ others findings, I have findings of MY OWN!
I agree with you that the Mid-pipe is not the BIGGEST restriction on these cars, yet it is a restriction.

And most people looking to improve performance dont stop at a cat-back and call it good. Ever heard the term FULL EXHAUST?

Theres a reason for that, enthusiasts extract all the power they can. And one key part is the MID-PIPE.

How long have you been around performance Mustangs? How many have you personally had? Sure you have a couple parts on your Cobra, but it doesnt sound like your a real car guy.:poke:

i put a off road on mine and it was the STUPIEST thing i have done... power was way down down low and mid range... ...trust me i know this.. i have built enough and felt enough and that my-friends is an abvious difference OF LOSS of torque down low... ia m not gonna debate that this is false because i have experienced it and I Will not ever run a off road mid-pipe!! IN A FOX body and SN-95.. yes.. in a heartbeat.. I have done that several times!!!

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Sheeze...I didn't want you guys duking it out over this subject...sorry I brought it up in the first place!!! :bash: LOL

I've had about 20 cars in my life, 6 have been Stangs, 5 were 5.0's, and one of those 5.0's had a 347 stroker installed. Upgraded H-pipes always made a difference on my 5.0's...even if it was only slight. So, eventually I'll try an aftermarket mid-pipe(catted) on my Cobra too...to extract every last available pony I can.

I've already installed an intake...cat-back is next and after that is the 2.8 pulley w/power programmer. These 3 mods alone will get me some huge gains but I'm sure it won't completely satisfy my "need for speed"!!!;-)

That being said, the mid-pipe mod may not be the most cost effective and only supply minimal gains but...eventually...I'm sure I'll do it anyways!!!

Back to the original subject...I'm really thinking heavily on the 3" Dynomax cat-back. Dynomax has some great bends/pipes. In the past, I've actually run Dynomax pipes with flowmaster mufflers on one of my 5.0's and on another I actually ran them with a pair of Magnaflows. My theory is I'll throw on the Dynomax 3" cb and if i get sick of the sound...I can always change mufflers out.

Thanks guys for all the input...:rockon:

Later...Dave

Last edited:

nrmustang

Established Member
Win7ermute said:
You sir, are a moron.....
The mid-pipe offers pathetic power gains when compared to a simple cat-back/cai combination.........
Probably the reason I am more of a "car guy" than you is because I realize that researching and learning from others is > than fumbling around with a wrench in my driveway then professing to know more than others.

Hey with the name calling!

Pathetic power gains? Hello anybody out there that is satisfied with at least the SOTP improvement going to a mid-pipe want to back me up on this one?

Well Pal, From EXPERIENCE I can say that on certain cars it can make all the difference in the world. On my 03' Automatic Mach 1 the SAME MAGNAFLOW x-pipe took a little bottom end away but the return in the top end breathing was well worth the $! On the STREET some may prefer the bottom end and backpressure of the stock H.

On my 10th anniversary the SAME MAGNAFLOW CAT-X gave me BOTH BOTTOM AND TOP end improvements.

And yes to those of you who choose to go CATLESS you will ultimately loose MORE backpressure, resulting in possible rearanging of the power band as well as a little loss in MPG!

On the street losing some torque because of this sucks! And no wonder some of you guys with CATLESS midpipes are naysayers! (no offense to everyone gone catless)

If you READ my first post I already stated this info.
And to Win7ermute the research you find comes from guys like me who spend more time wrenching than posting.:loser:

chrisdf_382

Banned
nrmustang said:
Hey with the name calling!

Pathetic power gains? Hello anybody out there that is satisfied with at least the SOTP improvement going to a mid-pipe want to back me up on this one?

Well Pal, From EXPERIENCE I can say that on certain cars it can make all the difference in the world. On my 03' Automatic Mach 1 the SAME MAGNAFLOW x-pipe took a little bottom end away but the return in the top end breathing was well worth the $! On the STREET some may prefer the bottom end and backpressure of the stock H.

On my 10th anniversary the SAME MAGNAFLOW CAT-X gave me BOTH BOTTOM AND TOP end improvements.

And yes to those of you who choose to go CATLESS you will ultimately loose MORE backpressure, resulting in possible rearanging of the power band as well as a little loss in MPG!

On the street losing some torque because of this sucks! And no wonder some of you guys with CATLESS midpipes are naysayers! (no offense to everyone gone catless)

If you READ my first post I already stated this info.
And to Win7ermute the research you find comes from guys like me who spend more time wrenching than posting.:loser:

the onlything i am gonna agree here with is the WRENCHING... I have been deployed 5 times in 5 years BUT in the 6 months of each year I have been home I have done a shit load of FOX body work... and I also conducted my first work on my cobra... rear end cover seal..I WILL NEVER DO IT AGAIN... it was drama but successful!!

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
The Dynomax exhaust showed up last night...I'll probably throw it on this long weekend and let you guys know how it sounds!!!

Later...Dave

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I'm interested to see how a three inch....any make..... catback will fall into the sort of quiet catagory.

I'm running stock cats and an FR500 (used) FRPP catback... and I love it!!!

Very civilized... yet a VERY strong seat of the pants power increase noticed...

The FR500 will be the quietest 2 1/2" system you will find... yet will produce power very close to the Borla 14528 and the Magnaflow.

All the others are TOO FREAKING LOUD IMHO!!!(besides the above three)

I'm driving this thing for MY enjoyment... not some punk on the freaking sidewalk or the Camaro in next lane!!!

I am SOOOOO over that NASCAR sounding exhaust stage....
I've got enough tickets... the last thing I need now is for every cop within three blocks around to know I just went WOT!!!

I'll take stealth... freaking car gets too much attention even parked!!!...lol

Last edited:

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Jimmysidecarr said:
I'm interested to see how a three inch....any make..... catback will fall into the sort of quiet catagory.

I'm running stock cats and an FR500 (used) FRPP catback... and I love it!!!

Very civilized... yet a VERY strong seat of the pants power increase noticed...

The FR500 will be the quietest 2 1/2" system you will find... yet will produce power very close to the Borla 14528 and the Magnaflow.

All the others are TOO FREAKING LOUD IMHO!!!(besides the above three)

I'm driving this thing for MY enjoyment... not some punk on the freaking sidewalk or the Camaro in next lane!!!

I've got enough tickets... the last thing I need now is for very cop within three blocks around to know I just went WOT!!!

Jimmy...I hear you and agree with the above...

Had my fingers crossed just before I started it for the first time(with the 3" Dynomax) and it's actually not that bad!!!

Start up and idle are just a bit more aggressive than stock. Cruising is fine and WOT sounds pretty mean but it's not obnoxious loud. The tone/drone inside the car is actually bareable...not like some of my old 5.0's with Flowmaster AT cat-backs!!!

I'm actually surprized it's not louder with the straight through muffs and 3 " pipes??? It passed the "car alarm" test in my complex...my last 5.0/347 stroker with a MAC catted h-pipe and AT Flowmaster CB would set most of my neighbors car alarms off when I drove by...the Dynomax 3" doesn't!!!

Hope the cats aren't clogged...LOL!!!

I'm sure it'll be a whole different story if I upgrade the mid/H-pipe...even just eliminating two of those small stock cats would probably really wake up the exhaust tone. Not sure if I want it any louder...maybe at that point I could change out the muffs to something quieter but for now...I'm very happy with the Dynomax 3" with ultra flow muffs!!!

Later...Dave

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
Who needs quiet exhaust, my motto is: If you can't hear it before you see it, don't bother!!!! That's why I have long tubes, no cats, and SLP loudmouths.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
dtheo said:
Who needs quiet exhaust, my motto is: If you can't hear it before you see it, don't bother!!!! That's why I have long tubes, no cats, and SLP loudmouths.

Too crowded here in SOCAL, neighbors get pissed and the police take notice. Sick of coming outside and finding nasty notes on my windshield and dealing with the police everytime I take a spin. Hey...if I lived in an rural area where it didn't matter...I'd probably be running no muffs at all!!! LOL

What part of the Midwest are you from??? Maybe I'll move out there and open up the exhaust some more!!! LOL

Later...Dave

S.V.T.

'schitty wok'
Established Member
Jimmysidecarr said:

I've got enough tickets... the last thing I need now is for very cop within three blocks around to know I just went WOT!!!

you do drive a mystichrome :)

chopps

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Established Member
mattmoto441 said:
Ford racing is quiet i have it on my 03 cobra and like it but i need more noise (anyone wanna trade) magnaflow magna paks are vary loud i have them on my 2000 gt standard magnaflows are quiet

Got a Bassani I "might" want to swap if your interested

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Well...my car sounds good(not great) with the Dynomax 3" CB. It's still a bit too quiet even with an upgraded Magnaflow catted x-pipe installed!!!

I'm actually thinking about buying a pair of 3" in/out Borla "XR-1" muffs and having them welded in place of the "ultra-flows" that are currently on my Dynomax CB.

The "ultra-flows" and "XR-1s" are both 3" straight through muffs but I miss the Borla sound from a couple of other cars I once owned!!! I don't know why or how the "ultra-flows" are so quiet but they are???

What do you guys think??? Will the Borlas be too loud, especially considering the 3" diameter exhaust system I'm running???

Later...Dave

sleepless

Established Member
Before buying an exhaust I searched around here quite a bit and the consensus that I found for a quiet (but louder than stock) exhaust, the Borla cat back (not the Stingers) or the Steeda cat back (they are actually the same except the Borla has rolled tips and the Steeda says "Steeda") are the quietest. So, I got the Steedas (they are a little cheaper and I wanted the "Steeda" theme; I got most of my parts from them).

Indeed, it is a bit louder than stock, but still very civil, until... you get on it. Then it sounds oh so good. I had it at two open track events and then at a dyno and in all three cases people came over to say how good it sounded.

I love it.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Well...doesn't seem like it's leaking but it is sure getting louder!!!

WTF...did I blow out the fiberglass packing in the "ultra-flow" muffs???

Maybe I don't have to upgrade the muffs to Borla after all???

LOL

Later...Dave

Users who are viewing this thread