calling cars with cats ( got a gas smell?)

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
has anyone with cats on their car noticed a stronger smell of gas ? not sure if this is just my car but when i had cats on my 89 i would get more i guess engine odor in my car at stop lights then when i went off road problem gone... they are high flow cats so i know they usually don't last as long

mostly i noticed it if i get into it, then stop at a light

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
that was my first concern... no idea about tune just bought the car haven't driven it much maybe 80 miles. i was just hoping it was bad cats... had similar problem they are magnaflow

03sm3341

Established Member
that was my first concern... no idea about tune just bought the car haven't driven it much maybe 80 miles. i was just hoping it was bad cats... had similar problem they are magnaflow

Might not be a bad idea to get it on a dyno and check your A/F ratio. I had mine tuned by a very well known tuner in 09 at his shop none the less. And come to find out at my retune for spray Bob Kurgan found my car to be insanely lean. Lean to the point of a new motor if i raced it alot. Just sayin it's cheap insurance.

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
yeah you have a good point im in maryland i emailed jpc not sure if you have heard of them before there less then an hour away from me.... its just hard to say who is good and who isn't. Im used to carb'd motors its all i've had before so the whole tuning thing is something i can't do. i don't think itd end up being lean if anything rich

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Stock 04 cats = no smell.

High flow cats have a very high failure rate. If you have a fuel smell they might have broken up and turned themselves into an empty off road pipe.

If you smell gas something is definitely wrong, it would be advisable to find out what it is as quick as possible.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Magnaflow cats on my Mach. When they were new, the first few times I ripped on it they gave off a weird smell, but haven't since then. It wasn't a gas smell though....

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
Last time I checked, I get a lot more smell from an o/r pipe :D

Exact opposite with me and it is a double pumper fox that'll barely run on pump gas, but who knows I drove it three more times today same conditionns no smell they are almost brand new cats. So maybe there just breaking it

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
Stock 04 cats = no smell.

High flow cats have a very high failure rate. If you have a fuel smell they might have broken up and turned themselves into an empty off road pipe.

If you smell gas something is definitely wrong, it would be advisable to find out what it is as quick as possible.

Yes I had a high flow set fail before but, the car is quiet as can be when my last set had failed they stunk and got extremely loud

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
Hmm well it is new, but id say its more of a burnt gas smell not a raw gas smell. But on another note how many ponies can you expect to pick up with an off road h or x on these cars? I am cobcerened with the tune and would like a little more throat to the exhaust nit and will give me a good reason to have the car re tuned .... any one switch from hugh flow cats to off road?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Jimmy your running that Heavy restrictive Boat Anchor midpipe? Damm would have never figured that?

LOL! :lol: There is a lot of heavy stuff on here that I would like to ditch. However removing an off road pipe, re-installing a cat pipe, getting a state inspection, then removing the cat pipe and re-installing the off road pipe----> ONCE A YEAR, is more than a little off putting. That so far, has been sufficient to keep me from dicking around with that one portion of the car. The passenger side pipe to manifold part alone is...............:nonono::bash::kaboom:

I actually really like the way a twin screw Terminator sounds with factory cats and a relatively un-blown out Magnaflow 2 1/2" cat back. I like it much better than my old FR500 2 stage muffler C/B that was my first cat back. That was way too quiet but probably would have sounded great with an off road pipe. For 59 year old guy who likes to be able to use WOT without drawing the attention of EVERYONE WHO IS NOT DEAF my present set up is quite satisfying. I can get stupid just about any time I want and I'm the only one who really hears very much, with the exception of the victims in the immediate vicinity who are being dispatched.

SBVERT03

Established Member
I dont have any gas smell at all with my bassani catted x. My old offroad y setup on my camaro was a different story!

Brutal Metal

Established Member
LOL! :lol: There is a lot of heavy stuff on here that I would like to ditch. However removing an off road pipe, re-installing a cat pipe, getting a state inspection, then removing the cat pipe and re-installing the off road pipe----> ONCE A YEAR, is more than a little off putting. That so far, has been sufficient to keep me from dicking around with that one portion of the car. The passenger side pipe to manifold part alone is...............:nonono::bash::kaboom:

I actually really like the way a twin screw Terminator sounds with factory cats and a relatively un-blown out Magnaflow 2 1/2" cat back. I like it much better than my old FR500 2 stage muffler C/B that was my first cat back. That was way too quiet but probably would have sounded great with an off road pipe. For 59 year old guy who likes to be able to use WOT without drawing the attention of EVERYONE WHO IS NOT DEAF my present set up is quite satisfying. I can get stupid just about any time I want and I'm the only one who really hears very much, with the exception of the victims in the immediate vicinity who are being dispatched.
I understand where your coming from, I did that same procedure for about 10 years straight on my 89GT when we had emission testing here in Florida, I dreaed every November:D BUT if you did switch it out with an alumized O/R H you'd drop 30+ lbs and pick up 10+ HP:rockon:

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member

I see you said you have the magnaflow w/ cats I too like the sound a lot extremely clean not raspy at all..... my only problem with my cat back is that the pipes are rusty looking :( can you polish magnaflow?

Users who are viewing this thread