calling cars with cats ( got a gas smell?)

termin80r

Established Member
new exhaust does give off an odd smell, but it doesnt smell anything like gas. are you sure its coming from the exhaust? maybe a leaking injector? I have a problem simular to this, i thought my car was running very rich, it ended up being that grommit thing that goes on the gas tank where the fuel filler goes in.

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
I haven't checked into that yet the only reason I thought cats was because of my prior issue and the fact that it only happens when im "into it" about 75%-100% throttle. I think it mostly has to do with hoe new they are metal coating paint burning off etc

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
Or they could've failed like the last set I had ... similar issue expect this happened all the time not just as idle. And about the whole gas smell I would change that to burn gas smell the smell that is supposed to be getting out the back

I have the catted Bassani X. I was having a strong fuel smell for a while and thought it was a PPRV delete or tank leak issue. Turned out the hose that connects to the Evap canister purge valve was disconnected. Those fuel fumes I had been smelling were coming from there.

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
I have the catted Bassani X. I was having a strong fuel smell for a while and thought it was a PPRV delete or tank leak issue. Turned out the hose that connects to the Evap canister purge valve was disconnected. Those fuel fumes I had been smelling were coming from there.

That isn't something I've looked into yet and a small leak wouldn't warrant it throwing a code either

Users who are viewing this thread