PHP intake spacer installed today *pics*

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
I have been itchin for an easy bolt on I could install myself so I picked one up.

A review and dyno here:
http://www.mach1review.com/PHPSpacerReview.html

I know this has been a mod that not everyone agrees on, but I decided to give it a try.

The install was pretty straightforward (the part came no instructions.) The only thing that sucked was the damn ERG. I don't see how you can get the intake spacer installed without taking that off and once the intake is bolted back down the ERG doesnt line up anymore because the intake is sitting higher up. PB Blaster was the only way I could get the ERG bolts loose too.

I wedged a wooden doorstop in under the ERG in order to get it in the right spot to get the bolts in. They seem like they would crossthread easy and I could not get them started any other way.

Is it worth it? I think it is. I find it hard to believe that anyone can "feel" a mod that nets you less than 10 rwtq. That being said there is an onramp near my house I drive almost every day. I flog my car daily in that same spot and today it felt stronger. I will say it is a pretty cool day about 60 here so the cool air may have contributed to my "feeling." Who knows could just be the butt-o-meter trying to help me justify the $100 :rollseyes

I do know the dyno sheet I saw on this part done by Steve at Mach1 review showed a 14rwtq gain though and so I am going to go with that.

Anyway enough talking here are some pics. Man this post-fix intake is rough on the inside...

1m.jpg

2m.jpg

4m.jpg

5m.jpg

Last edited:

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
Well

It took me a little over an hour start to finish. I spent easily 15 minutes trying to get the 2 bolts on the ERG started without cross threading them. It took me around 5-6 minutes to get just one of the bolts off the ERG when I started too. I dont think I could have gotten it off without my trusty PB-Blaster.

Instructions:

Step 1 spray the ERG bolts with PB-Blaster and let it sit for about 5 minutes.

Step 2 unbolt the ERG bolts. Have fun.

Step 3 remove air intake tube

Step 4 unbolt the intake bolts (I think there are 7.)

Step 5 unhook all the sensors and air tubes if you want to totally remove the intake otherwise you can just lift it up to install the spacer.

Step 6 insert the spacer, replace the upper intake.

Step 7 bolt the intake on by finger tightening the intake bolts and then snugging them up in a star shape.

Step 8 bolt the damn ERG back on, the bolt holes will no longer match up and the ERG tube is not exactly bendable. This is the hardest part of the install. Be careful not to cross thread these bolts, seriously this is damn near impossible, all I can say is good luck.

Step 9 put the intake tube back on, slam the hood and take it for a spin.

Last edited:
During your install, did you see if there was enough clearance room to slide the spacer in to place without removing the EGR? Do you think that part of the spacer can be wedged in there?

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
not quite

There is enough room to get the spacer in, but with the ERG on the intake the intake mounting holes do not line up there is too much pressure on the back of the intake downard to get the front bolted in straight and the one thing you dont want to do is force a bolt at the wrong angle and strip out a bolt hole going into your lower intake. Then you will be screwed!

The best way I could figure was to put the ERG on last. :shrug:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
blksnake99 said:
Easy to install. Did it in 2004. Got -1 HP and +6 TQ.

here is my dyno sheet before and after the PHP, Both runs were an hour apart onthe same day. Red is before blue is after the spacer
phpspacerhf6.jpg

Last edited:

99svtvert

I don't trust PHP, Paul, Jeff, or anything they say or do. I received some lousy customer service from the in 2004 that cost me big $$$ and do not want anything to do with them again. That's just me personally.

As to the spacer; he claimed that I would gain HP and Torque with a P&P intake (to not use a SHM intake which has been cut because you wil loose 50 ft-lbs of torque); and the Mach1 spacer. I did, and promptly lost HP and gain obly 6 ft-lb of touque across a narrow range; also lost my STB to the rise in the process.

I wish that was all I lost through that organization.

Two weeks later I put on a SHM intake and slung the spacer across the room and gained +33 RWHP and lost only 2 ft-lb of torque -- I think a much better deal - and completely comtrtary to their PHP EXPERT advice.

Maybe it will work better fro you.

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
strange

Very strange...

I wonder why this mod seems to have such different results for people. :shrug:

I'd say about 50% of the people on mach1registry are running these and love them.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
anothersvtguy said:
Very strange...

I wonder why this mod seems to have such different results for people. :shrug:

I'd say about 50% of the people on mach1registry are running these and love them.

I think the Mach likes the spacer better because of the different heads and cams

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
I dont' know.........They work wonders for the Mach...maybe because the cams all already 'TQ'y". I dont' see how that would play a part though. Every mach that has installed one has seen a flatter TQ curve. Not an increase in peak, but a nice low TQ increase. My SOTP feel was much better after that spacer install. I didnt' do a before and after dyno though....so who knows?

Not sure why so many N/A cobra guys are seeing poor results. I ahve not seen or heard of one mach 1 that has not had some kind of increase (peak or otherwise).

BTW - for those interested...it took 30 min. for us. My wife did it once, and I did it once....30 min. both times. If she can do it, so can you all....then again, she's not your avg chick.

Double"O" said:
here is my dyno sheet before and after the PHP, Both runs were an hour apart onthe same day. Red is before blue is after the spacer
phpspacerhf6.jpg

Well thatnks for the post my friend, because based on that I'm not dropping $100 for that spacer on my 01. All I need is one post with a dyno sheet to make my mind up! :thumbsup:

SKEETER_SVT01

Living it up
Established Member
Double"O" said:
phpspacerhf6.jpg

those numbers better be before the KB was put on.

+1 on worthless mod.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
BUT - why would machs have a nice gain across the board and N/A cobra's not?.......what am I missing?

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
ponygt65 said:
BUT - why would machs have a nice gain across the board and N/A cobra's not?.......what am I missing?

Better heads and cams mang

Users who are viewing this thread