PHP intake spacer installed today *pics*

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Double"O" said:
Better heads and cams mang

Yeah, but I wasn't sure how that would be effected. I don't know much about the runners to know how the cams, heads and spacer all 'work together'.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
The Mach cams are better suited for TQ and the heads breath better than the 99/01 heads.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Double"O" said:
The Mach cams are better suited for TQ and the heads breath better than the 99/01 heads.

Oh, I know. But the spacer makes the 'runners longer'. And I dont' know how that plays a part in Cams and Heads. That was the main thing. Apparently it plays alot, because until this thread, I didnt' realize the difference.

Edit - come to think of it..I have no idea what longer runners means.....HAHA...that probably explains it there...I can be such a dousche.

poopy01

My car is slow
Established Member
Double"O" said:
The intake is the bottle neck on both engines so it should show a positive result on both engines if it really worked.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
poopy01 said:
The intake is the bottle neck on both engines so it should show a positive result on both engines if it really worked.

Should and IF

poopy01

My car is slow
Established Member
Spacers on 302's lengthened the runners and help keep the upper intake cooler. These spacers do neither. They increase intake volume ( good or bad ) and they "might" help air flow to the runners. This is all they do if that. I have not tried one and I wont be any time soon. I think the only reason that people are seeing changes are due to dyno variences, that would explain why some help and some hinder. And the butt o meter is due to you spending 100 bucks on something.

01 Venom

Established Member
poopy01 said:
Spacers on 302's lengthened the runners and help keep the upper intake cooler. These spacers do neither. They increase intake volume ( good or bad ) and they "might" help air flow to the runners. This is all they do if that. I have not tried one and I wont be any time soon. I think the only reason that people are seeing changes are due to dyno variences, that would explain why some help and some hinder. And the butt o meter is due to you spending 100 bucks on something.

I have to agree +/- 1-5 HP after this install can be due to many many things, air temp, Dyno varience, the list goes on and on and on, you cant blame a gain or loss like that on a mod.

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
well

I don't know, the principal of the mod makes sense to me and I definately did not notice a loss of any kind. If I lost some at peak but it thickened my torque on the low-midrange even a little it is worth it to me, it's stayin on.

EDIT * No offense taken 01 Venom * I apprecaited your comment, didn't mean to come across negative.

Last edited:

01 Venom

Established Member
I wasnt trying to say you waisted your time, hey man when it comes down to it, we all do what works for us right?

Wasnt trying to take anything away

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
The additional runner length created by the spacer should act as a catalyst to move the powerband lower in the rpm range.

On the Mach 1 this tends to work in it's favor because the runner length and cam selection on it's engine is already suited more towards the low end of the rpm range.

On a 99/01 Cobra however it has the potential to actually hinder power production.

The C heads flow a decent amount of air, but the runner volume is a little large for a 281 cid engine and thus the heads don't produce a great amount of low speed velocity. This directly translates in to our lack of low-end torque. Adding and intake spacer does nothing to change that fact, it just creates a longer distance for the intake charge to travel.

This in turn does move the powerband down slightly. Due to how HP is calculated (torque x RPM / 5252) you then lose out on some of the high rpm ponies. The torque that you may gain (emphasis on may) is probably so minimal that the power you lost on the top-end might actually make for a slower car.

With this mod the best thing for a comparo would be back to back 1/4 mile runs.

My guess would be that the short time through the 330' and "possibly" the 1/8 might improve but that past that point the 1/8 to 1/4 run is going to fall off and you'll lose trap speed. The increase through the short section should make up for the loss at the long end but I would be almost certain that mph would decline.

This is my educated guess on the subject.

motorcitycobra

Established Member
that spacer doesn't make the runners longer. If you put a spacer under the lower portion of the intake between the intake and the heads.....THAT would make them longer. This is a plenum spacer only. Like the spacers you might have seen for the Edelbrock 5.0 upper intake plates.

Is there a difference in the intake lids between the Cobras and Mach's

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
OK..NOW I am comfused. I thought I had it down, then lost, then I thought I had it, then I lost it again. I obviously need to learn more about the mod motor in relation to the 'runner's'.

What I can say is this spacer does increase machs low end TQ. It does not help with HP much. The SOTP feel makes sense.......that is the TQ that you feel......so why wouldn't you notice a 10-12 TQ increase?

BTW - this product has been tested by my tuner's shop. ALl three owners of that shop own mach 1s and they have donw MANY before and after tests on products.....it's called the mach1review.com They dont' sell products that don't work.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
bbosncali said:
then why are the cobra's putting out a little more power than the mach's?

:pop: please don't let a mach owner see that

Most Machs i have seen put down better numbers than 99/01s not much but alittle

Users who are viewing this thread