Fixed vs. Non-Fixed vs. 03-Up 4v Intakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nazman

Established Member
Guys,

Just wanted to post some very VITAL information you SHOULD KNOW about our 4V intakes.

You guys should be aware of the casting numbers on your intake or if you are going to purchase an intake since this is VERY important and could be detrimental to the final perfomance of the intake on your motor.

First off, there are several version of the 4V intake for the C-head.

1. 1999 Cobra NON-FIXED. This is the nasties, rough and restrictive of all the castings. Its easily identified by the last 2 casting letters of:

"AC" or "AD"

If you are going to purchase a core to get ported or an engine swap or Turbo swap you MUST stay away from them. Even after ported, the performance will NOT be as good as a ported "fixed" manifold. Lately, I have received about 5 of these "un-fixed" intakes!!!! Have the seller send you the casting number or a pic of it, and if they are not fixed units stay away! I'm NOT going to accept non-fixed intakes any longer so if you send me one Im going to send it back!

2. 1999 Cobra FIXED. These are better flowing manifolds, but not as good as 03-Up intake castings. These have been "fixed" by Ford via 2 methods: Extrude Hone proccess and Acid dipping proccess. The Extrude Hone and Acid Dipped could be identified very easy by the following:

Extrude Hone: Last 2 casting letters have been grinded and engraved by the letters - "BA" , and a "BLUE" Dot at the front of the intake (usually in the driver side).

Acid Dipped: Last 2 casting letter have been grinded and engraved by the letters - "AE", and a "GREEN" Dot at the front of the intake (usually in the driver's side).

3. 2001 Cobra Intake. The 01 intakes are a much improved version over the non-fixed units but still not as good as the 03-up cores. These utilize the same casting mark as the 99-Fixed Acid Dipped intakes, but instead of "grinded" they are actually casted. They still utilize the "Green" Dot as well. Look for the last 2 letters of:

"AE"

4. 03-Current Intake (Mach 1, Maraunder, ect.). These are the BEST castings available. They actually utilize a dedicated mold to cast the runner entrance (where the older version is all one mold), this dedicated mod creates the cleanes, larger and radioused (SP?) runner entrace, the runners are very clean and flow the best. These are identified by the following:

"AE" Casting Letters (like the 2001 intakes), BUT with a GREEN and BLUE Dots as well as the casting date of 2002-Up on the casting decal at the bottom of the intake.

Lastly, here is some flow data:

1999 NON Fixed: 230 CFMs
1999 FIXED: 242 CFMs
2003-Up: 290 CFMs

Now, if you wonder why are the Mach's stronger than the 99-01s and why they respond better...well there are several reasons: Heads and Intake!

Hope that helps!

Naz

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
Excellent post and very useful information. :beer:

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
On the very bottom. Extrude Honed '99 here:
th_Fixed99Intake.jpg

The casting date tag is found on one of the "freeze plugs".
th_Machcastingdate.jpg

Last edited:

FRiCK

Banned
dang!

i have one ported by naz on the way to me and i have no idea what its from.......shit!!

damn those mach 1's btw.....lol. i just had to have a vert....:bash:

mustang03

New Poster Old Lurker
Established Member
Naz my intake has a BA on the passenger side flat spot on the top front of the intake. Is that the letters we are supposed to be looking at or is it on the bottom?

CobraKalas

Established Member
so if i happened to want to get a Nazty port job and i came to find out that my lower wasnt fixed you wouldnt do it???

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
Wow

Very good information Naz!

I had no idea the Mach 1 intakes were that much of an improvement over the New Edge Cobras. :nonono:

ster!nn

Established Member
Where did you get this information?

I've run numbers on several intakes by the engineering #'s that are cast and also by the plug #'s and they're all over the place, ranging from 98gt's - 01 v6's.......

Seems like if correct, and you're saying it is, that this is the information that several Ford Parts Managers I know could use...

thanks Naz, good work

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Hey Nazman, for 99 which "fix" do you think is better for flow, the acid dip or the extrude hone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread