Fixed vs. Non-Fixed vs. 03-Up 4v Intakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Either intake will do brother. The Mach intakes are better units out the box, but after porting they are about the same. The Mach intakes have a much thinner walls where the 99-01s have a thicker wall allowing for much more agressive port work. At the end, they are about the same.

Naz
this is what i figured, but i'm glad to hear you confirm this...

dec322

Established Member
My intake has the green dot but the letters are still AD. Is there any way to check if it has really been fixed besides the dot and letters?

Droc176

Established Member
I think you can call up a Ford dealership, give them your VIN and they can check it...

shame302

I Love Your Mom...
Established Member
I apollogise for digging this up from the grave but i had it bookmarked for intake "research".

you MUST stay away from them. Even after ported, the performance will NOT be as good as a ported "fixed" manifold.

At the end, any "fixed" or 01-up will be ~equal in power gains/CFMs as the 03-Up.

They ONLY ones that may not "see" such of gains are non-fixed units...but dont dispair. If you sent me a non-fixed that was on your car...you will see huge gains still. If the intake you purchased as a core to get ported and swap with a "fixed" unit...then the gains will be partial.

Not looking to argue or whatever but i don't understand why you say this. The "fixed" by Ford intakes are still the same casting as the non-fixed intakes, just cleaned up. Why, other than requiring more work wouldn't these intakes be able to flow as well as their "fixed" counterparts after being worked over in the same way?

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I apollogise for digging this up from the grave but i had it bookmarked for intake "research".

Not looking to argue or whatever but i don't understand why you say this. The "fixed" by Ford intakes are still the same casting as the non-fixed intakes, just cleaned up. Why, other than requiring more work wouldn't these intakes be able to flow as well as their "fixed" counterparts after being worked over in the same way?

Because the only way to get to every surface in the intake is to extrude hone or acid dip them as Ford did for the "fix." This is a process that most shops/home porters just can't do. The intake runners are curved and you cannot reach all of the surfaces with a die grinder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread