99 Cobra, back with a question!!

jacker1991

Established Member
Ok, so this is the deal. My car started making a clicking noise like this 01' Mustang GT bad throwout bearing? - YouTube so I changed the clutch with a new throw out bearing and all of that but the noise has not gone away. My mechanic says it should be the transmission(input shaft or something), he says he doesn't work on transmission so he isn't sure. It is like a clicking noise that goes away 2-3 secs after I press the clutch and comes back as soon as I release it. Thanks for the help!!! Mike.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Did he replace the the clutch fork or the fork pivot ball? What about the pilot bearing?

jacker1991

Established Member
Did he replace the the clutch fork or the fork pivot ball? What about the pilot bearing?

Pressure Plate
Clutch Disc
Throwout Bearing

These are the items that were replaced. We were pretty sure that the throwout bearing was the problem. I thought the pilot bearing only made sounds when the clutch was pressed and my problem is the other way around, the noise is heard when the clutch is NOT pressed/engaged w/e lols.

jacker1991

Established Member
I was also told by some friends of mine that I should wait a few days for everything to settle in their right place or something like that. Don't like doing that kind of stuff but no option at this point. :(

jacker1991

Established Member
Update!

Transmission gave up! Or at least that is what I think. Huge explosion under me and now whenever the clutch is not pressed it feels like metals are going crazy below my ass. Time to take some stuff apart. The fun begins!!!:fm::fm:

MT0911

Established Member
Transmission gave up! Or at least that is what I think. Huge explosion under me and now whenever the clutch is not pressed it feels like metals are going crazy below my ass. Time to take some stuff apart. The fun begins!!!:fm::fm:

That sucks man. When you first described the issue I would have thought TOB from how you described it. I had a similar issue and I went through - replaced the TOB; added in a new clutch cable, FW adjuster, & quadrant and everything was smooth as can be with zero noise. If it's that bad I would stop driving her and get it lifted asap - drop that tranny to see what the deal is. Let us know! Good luck.

jacker1991

Established Member
That sucks man. When you first described the issue I would have thought TOB from how you described it. I had a similar issue and I went through - replaced the TOB; added in a new clutch cable, FW adjuster, & quadrant and everything was smooth as can be with zero noise. If it's that bad I would stop driving her and get it lifted asap - drop that tranny to see what the deal is. Let us know! Good luck.

The car is not driveable since that happened so I had to tow it to my house. I started taking a few things apart but I'm having problems with the 2 top screws of the transmission(T-45). Will take out the X-pipe so I have more clearance and maybe the motor mounts so I have a bit of play(Maybe). Haven't decided if I should rebuild(maybe with stronger components) or get another transmission. Don't have any big power plans at the moment but I do want to make her a nice N/A, plans are 400RWHP+.

MT0911

Established Member
The car is not driveable since that happened so I had to tow it to my house. I started taking a few things apart but I'm having problems with the 2 top screws of the transmission(T-45). Will take out the X-pipe so I have more clearance and maybe the motor mounts so I have a bit of play(Maybe). Haven't decided if I should rebuild(maybe with stronger components) or get another transmission. Don't have any big power plans at the moment but I do want to make her a nice N/A, plans are 400RWHP+.

Well man - you got some work ahead of you. If you're looking to upgrade take a look at Promotion Powertrain:
ProMotion MUSTANG/CAMARO Performance Manual Transmissions/Clutches/Repairs FL

These guys are very good and for the cost their setups are top notch. If you want to stay with the T-45 - you can get a reconditioned unit (400 hp) for $1090 and if you want it to be stronger (26 spl, upgraded Keys, Syncros) and able to handle 700+ hp then you can get that for $1650 which is really not bad at all. I've known a few guys over the years that have gone through them and have countless track visits - the transmissions are holding up amazing. Trans issues suck but if you look at it like a window to upgrade, you can do it without breaking the bank. Good luck man.

jacker1991

Established Member
Well man - you got some work ahead of you. If you're looking to upgrade take a look at Promotion Powertrain:
ProMotion MUSTANG/CAMARO Performance Manual Transmissions/Clutches/Repairs FL

These guys are very good and for the cost their setups are top notch. If you want to stay with the T-45 - you can get a reconditioned unit (400 hp) for $1090 and if you want it to be stronger (26 spl, upgraded Keys, Syncros) and able to handle 700+ hp then you can get that for $1650 which is really not bad at all. I've known a few guys over the years that have gone through them and have countless track visits - the transmissions are holding up amazing. Trans issues suck but if you look at it like a window to upgrade, you can do it without breaking the bank. Good luck man.

I checked out their stuff and I find them pretty expensive to be honest, checking out The T45 Source - Proven, reliable T45 Transmissions at the moment. I just took out the t45 today, tomorrow I will start trying to see how can I remove the bellhousing or w/e is called so I can see the damage. Thanks for all the help so far!:-D

MT0911

Established Member
I checked out their stuff and I find them pretty expensive to be honest, checking out The T45 Source - Proven, reliable T45 Transmissions at the moment. I just took out the t45 today, tomorrow I will start trying to see how can I remove the bellhousing or w/e is called so I can see the damage. Thanks for all the help so far!:-D

No problem man! That place has awesome prices! I forgot all about them. Nice :beer:. For the disassembly, take a look at this. It may be useful.

http://www.pomoforacing.com/tech/PreliminaryT45rebuild.pdf

:)

Last edited:

jacker1991

Established Member
Update!

Here is what I found.
IMG_0809.gif

IMG_0810.gif

IMG_0811.gif

IMG_0812.gif

MT0911

Established Member
Damn... that sucks bro. If the housing is still in good condition - you could try taking it to a local shop and getting quoted for a rebuild. I would also talk to the T45 source and see what they can work out for you.

jacker1991

Established Member
Damn... that sucks bro. If the housing is still in good condition - you could try taking it to a local shop and getting quoted for a rebuild. I would also talk to the T45 source and see what they can work out for you.

Talking to them at the moment, they have the best prices so far and seem to know their shit. The thing that's killing me is that I can get a low mile trans for around 500 bucks. But if they tell me they give warranty with their trans rebuilds then I guess i'll rebuild it with them instead of buying a used one from someone.

MT0911

Established Member
Talking to them at the moment, they have the best prices so far and seem to know their shit. The thing that's killing me is that I can get a low mile trans for around 500 bucks. But if they tell me they give warranty with their trans rebuilds then I guess i'll rebuild it with them instead of buying a used one from someone.

The Street Strip setup from the T45 Source is attractive in my opinion.

Yea - it really all depends on your budget. I would go the extra mile and have one built to handle some power/abuse especially if you plan for more power down the road. The last thing you want is to go the cheap route and then break things again. The only reason I see going that route is if you don't have the funds and you absolutely need the car running asap. Other than that - if you don't mind spending a little more, at least you know you won't have to worry about breaking your trans again.

Seriously, things like this suck because you don't plan for it and the money you're spending on it could have gone into other areas that you wanted like "go fast" parts. So definitely - Good luck man. I hope this whole situation turns out for the best.

Users who are viewing this thread