Need help building a dual purpose car (OT car and DD)

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Ironically enough, the idea for this came from european cars....M3's, Evos, GTR's etc. They are cars that can be beaten on the track as well as make for comfortable and FUNCTIONAL daily drivers. I've tried the M3 thing and while it is a fun car, but it's not me. I even had a friend who owns an M3 look at me yesterday and tell me that the cobra fits me so much better. The same guy owns a 4 door M3 that is basically stock, runs a 01:36.739 at willow and DDs the car. He's put about 10k miles on it in the last 6 months. Tires are driven on both street and track.

First off, I don't expect it to be amazing at both, but I would like to be competitive and reliable.

As many of you have suggested in other posts, the car will be taken out "as is" for the first couple track meets and I will work on the car from there and tune it to my specific needs. Also, I've read a lot, the best mod for these cars is the driver mod (which I don't have but hope to possess soon) followed by cooling.

Immediate plans: (because they are cheap and easy or I've already done them)
- Fluids (all have been changed front to back)
- Brakes (I didn't need them, but I have 6 piston baer brakes. I wish I would have waited on this as they are way above what I need at my level or what my tires can handle. I will probably always run them with street pads)
- Brake cooling ducts (done)
- Boxing in radiator
- Bigger dam under radiator
- 170* t-stat.

Future tentative plans
- FTBR delrin kit
- Coil overs (thinking about V3's, they are $$ but not half assed makeshift coil overs. I understand that this will make the car a little more uncomfortable for DD as NVH will increase)
- Ported blower with a 3.1 pulley (Keeps me at my current power level minimal to no fuel modification...450ish....while adding cooler IATs)
- tires (R888's, NT05's or the hankook equivalent as they have tread and are sticky. If I get a year out of them I will be REALLY surprised, but they need to be able to be driven in the rain)

The car will always be at full weight as I plan on keeping the rear seat.

As I stated above, the car will basically stay in current form for now and I'm going to try and get as much seat time as my budget and time allow this year in the winter while it's cool. I will be taking the summers off as I have no desire to do any major cooling mods. This should allow me to save up more money for seat time and tires and a couple tweaks for the following year.

Anything else I'm missing? Getting totally wrong? Constructive criticism would be amazing! The idea behind this is no prep before track days other than the obvious fluid changes as needed. I don't want to add splitters, remove seats, change brakes, change rotors, add a wing etc.... I want the car pretty much ready to go.

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
After several days on track you will need to determine whom you want to be competitive with. Mustangs, bmw's or the vettes. I can tell you at big willow the mustangs are doing about 105-110mph in turn 8, bmw's about 110-115mph and the vettes are doing about 115-125mph.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
There are plently of people that have dual purpose cars.. I know Racebronco2 is pretty much street driven to and from the track.. My car is dual purpose, all I'd have to do is change pads and tires and I'm ready to rock..

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
It seems good but before you spend a ton of money on upgrades I would just do as much seat time as you can and then you'll realize what you have to upgrade first and go from there :)

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Perfect! What's left in the immediate plans should only cost about $50. I figure cooling is good for these cars not matter what. Gonna get the dam on and box in the radiator. Other than that I'm going to go ruin some street tires ;)

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Skip the coilovers, you are a long ways from needing those. And although I HIGHLY recommend the FTBR IRS kit, you are a long ways from needing that as well. Do what you have listed and then let the car tell you when to upgrade something.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
I daily drive mine, and do HDPE's. My advice: less (mods) is more fun. Don't worry about lap times and being competitive. Truth is, in the world of HDPE's, the more you focus on technique, the more likely you are to beat the "faster" cars.

racebronco2

Established Member
Braking mods and cooling mods is all you need right now. Seat time is so important. You will get more from a weekend driving then you will get from set of coil-over. Learn how to drive first. I modded my car before i could find it's limits but i knew how to drive. Just had to learn the speed difference. I auto-xed a bronco2 and won the solo 2 truck championship 4 years in a row.

carrew

'01 Cobra Jet
Established Member
Coil overs will make it perform on the track and a better ride on the street. My cobra had 800LB springs and at times it feels like a washboard pending on road conditions on the highway. I have coilovers on the fox and with MM road & track kit the coilovers soak up the bumps and the big bumps without a problem.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
For the price of coilovers, you could do 5-6 HPDE weekends concentrating on technique and the abilities of the driver and car.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
drive the car and have fun. take care of your brakes and your cooling. you have already.

dont worry about being competitive. hpde is not a competition. its driving for fun. if you want to race, get a race car.

its about having fun. have you ever heard guys that like to fish say that medium fish on light tackle is more fun that big game fish? its true and it costs less.

hit the track ten or twelve times and then reflect and see what you want to do next.

SuperSport01

Established Member
I would drive it and learn more about it and your abilities. Then upgrade tires and a FTBR kit if neccessary.

KILRSVT

Established Member
I drove my cobra with eibach crappy springs and sumitomo htrz and front 2000 cobra R brakes for 2 years to HPDE Then decide to go H&R race springs and toyo R888 good springs but the car pushed like crazy at auto x and a little at sears point . I just recently installed MM K member kit with coil overs. Car feels awesome and I can still DD if I want to, next mod will be rear ftbr bushings ( i hear alot of good )and a roll bar (safety)along with seats. I would suggest for now track time ,mods should be basic MM rack bushings decent tires and pads

Last edited:

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Thanks for all the advice guys! I've been reading over as many threads as I can in OT getting prepared!

Sounds like I am right on track with my mods and, scary enough, done for the time being!

We'll see how she does :beer:

racebronco2

Established Member
Thanks for all the advice guys! I've been reading over as many threads as I can in OT getting prepared!

Sounds like I am right on track with my mods and, scary enough, done for the time being!

We'll see how she does :beer:

SO when are you coming out with us?

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
SO when are you coming out with us?

Soon! I've been talking to Brakelate on socalterminators as well. I'm probably going to come out and watch a track day, listen in on the driver's meeting and he even offered to give me a ride. If you are willing, Carlos, I would love to go around the track with someone as experienced as you are as well.

I'm not too worried about heat with my skill (or lack thereof), and street tires, but I'm probably going to wait until Novemeber. Cool weather, and a nice cushion of $$ to pay for a new set of tires after I ruin my current ones ;-) I'd like to get 2 or 3 track days in (probably about how many my street tires will last on dual duty) in during the winter and plan my mods for the next year. Eventually, I would like to run year round. Sadly, as a DD, I have to think about replacing the parts I ruin while tracking. :bash:

racebronco2

Established Member
Soon! I've been talking to Brakelate on socalterminators as well. I'm probably going to come out and watch a track day, listen in on the driver's meeting and he even offered to give me a ride. If you are willing, Carlos, I would love to go around the track with someone as experienced as you are as well.

I'm not too worried about heat with my skill (or lack thereof), and street tires, but I'm probably going to wait until Novemeber. Cool weather, and a nice cushion of $$ to pay for a new set of tires after I ruin my current ones ;-) I'd like to get 2 or 3 track days in (probably about how many my street tires will last on dual duty) in during the winter and plan my mods for the next year. Eventually, I would like to run year round. Sadly, as a DD, I have to think about replacing the parts I ruin while tracking. :bash:

Sure i'll give you a ride. I used my street tires for at least 6 months. You will not ruin your tires as long as you drive you car in balance. It's when people are driving too fast for the tires traction abilities. Squealing is ok but scrubbing will ruin your tires. Get out asap.

Users who are viewing this thread