Need help building a dual purpose car (OT car and DD)

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Sure i'll give you a ride. I used my street tires for at least 6 months. You will not ruin your tires as long as you drive you car in balance. It's when people are driving too fast for the tires traction abilities. Squealing is ok but scrubbing will ruin your tires. Get out asap.

Iv'e been reading all the post and learning myself. Can you explain the difference between squealing the tires and srubbing please? This is the first time i've heard that before.

kaiv

Established Member
Dear OP, I approve of this thread and can't wait to get out there with you :D

Take the car as is, go to a few events, ride shotgun with some experienced guys, learn etc then you then you may decide you need more brakes or more tires or more cooling or whatever :)

kaiv

Established Member
Also talk to some people who also track their terminator and find out what alignment specs work for them. Those can make a TON of difference.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Haha! Thanks Kevin! You are one of the people I would like to take a ride with! I'm excited to get out on the track ASAP

Ps- you need to post a pic of your car since you've run on the track with a couple of these guys

ESP Cobra

Established Member
drive the car and have fun.

dont worry about being competitive. hpde is not a competition. its driving for fun. if you want to race, get a race car.

THIS!!!

Couldn't have put it better....except for the punctuation.

j/k! :-D

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Anyone have issues with the alternator failing because it's being over spun?

I have only blown one.
Stock springs and shocks....still. though I did cut them very slightly when it was apart for FTBR bushings.

These cars are ridiculously fun on a normal street radial, once you learn the car, and can read your grip.

You can run the edge of grip on a street radial much safer than running the edge of grip on R comps or slicks. Sliding under control can be much more fun than just accumulating point bys. High grip = high speeds and that can get pretty scary and dangerous. The catch window gets very small and a mistake will have greater consequences.

Mod link in sig but I came from an autocross/Ice Racing background and was not technically a true newb. Many of my mods would be unneeded for yourself.

Cooling mods and track pads is all you really need.

then just don't forget to have fun

The fun is what it's all about!!!:rockon::beer::banana::pepper::dancenana:

csvt98

Road Course Ringer
Established Member
Also, with a dual purpose car there becomes the point were it needs 5 point harnesses, seats, and rollcage. I realized that at Road Atlanta where I could hardly stay in the seat anywhere but the back straight.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
I know people are saying to wait on the coilovers but just wanted to say, when you are ready for coilovers, the KW V3 are the perfect choice! when I changed to the V3 coilovers it was like driving a completely different car and that was back when I had a solid axle. Now I put in an IRS with Bruces full bushing kit, adjusted coilover and alignment settings and wow, I never thought a Mustang could handle that well, LOL!

oh and my car is somewhat still a dual purpose car as I love to drive it to work in summer when it doesn't rain. The only thing that is a bit uncomfortable is being stuck in a traffic jam in hot weather without the A/C, other then that the car is perfectly reliable and takes me blasting down the Autobahn (which is comparable to driving on track) and through heavy traffic without missing a beat.

Last edited:

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Also, with a dual purpose car there becomes the point were it needs 5 point harnesses, seats, and rollcage. I realized that at Road Atlanta where I could hardly stay in the seat anywhere but the back straight.

HA! I'm already there. Everyone LOVES the 10th seats, but they are a PAIN to drive hard in. I slide EVERYWHERE!!

I know people are saying to wait on the coilovers but just wanted to say, when you are ready for coilovers, the KW V3 are the perfect choice! when I changed to the V3 coilovers it was like driving a completely different car and that was back when I had a solid axle. Now I put in an IRS with Bruces full bushing kit, adjusted coilover and alignment settings and wow, I never thought a Mustang could handle that well, LOL!

oh and my car is somewhat still a dual purpose car as I love to drive it to work in summer when it doesn't rain. The only thing that is a bit uncomfortable is being stuck in a traffic jam in hot weather without the A/C, other then that the car is perfectly reliable and takes me blasting down the Autobahn (which is comparable to driving on track) and through heavy traffic without missing a beat.

Good to know!!! Thank you! I think the main concern is being able to "feel" the limits of my car while I'm learning. Just as you said, the V3's work REALLY well and have the ability to "hide" when my car is telling me to slow down. I'll get there. I actually plan on running the same suspension set up that you have. Although V3 are SUPER expensive, I've always heard that they are well worth the money. I'm hoping fairly quickly, but I'm going to be focusing on cooling for awhile. No point in having a fast car if I go into limp mode half way through a session. ;-)

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
the best cooling mod I did was to use the Ford Racing Water Inlet adapter with an external oil cooler. I also deleted the thermostat. Together with a big radiator the cooling system ran so cold that we had to adjust the tune so it wouldn't go into the cold start fuel table while cruising, lol. Works like a charm when beating on it down the Autobahn though. Sofar the car has never been in limp mode, not even when going WOT in 6th gear chasing a M5 V10 :D

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
the best cooling mod I did was to use the Ford Racing Water Inlet adapter with an external oil cooler. I also deleted the thermostat. Together with a big radiator the cooling system ran so cold that we had to adjust the tune so it wouldn't go into the cold start fuel table while cruising, lol. Works like a charm when beating on it down the Autobahn though. Sofar the car has never been in limp mode, not even when going WOT in 6th gear chasing a M5 V10 :D

Do you have pics of your water inlet adaptor installed?

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
I only have pics from when we installed it, no close ups and not all lines hooked up yet. Need to try to take some new pics soon. In the meantime here's what I have

the oil cooler and remote filter setup:
3201834001_large.jpg

Coolant hoses with our custom 90 degree adapter and thermostat housing replacement:
3201834004_large.jpg

the adapter pieces:
3201834002_large.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread