My Coyote Motor Swap in an 86 LX Coupe

Stock Motor

Established Member
Hey guys, I was waiting to start this thread until we had test fitted the motor. No sense in posting a bunch of pictures of a motor in a crate :D

The initial mock-up looks good. By using the MM 4.6 swap k-member and MM multi-position rack bushings (included with the k-member), the lack of rack-to-pan clearance that everyone feared *might* be solved. We have not mounted the T56 yet, but from tilting the motor fore and aft, the rack has about 1/2" worth of clearance at every point (with the MM rack bushings positioning the rack at its lowest point). On a side note, I'm slowly but surely becoming best friends with our contact at the local Ford dealer, having already had him overnight bolts from Livonia twice.

Here are a few pictures so far. If anyone would like more pictures, please let me know and I will take them. The mid-length headers that are shipped with the crate motor (factory 2011 Mustang GT) will not work. We are friends with a header builder who is waiting for us to bolt up the T56 before we trailer the car over to his shop to have them made. We are *fingers crossed* hoping that the T56 brackets we fabricated and welded when the car had a pushrod T56 can be reused with the Coyote motor.

Here is the back story on the car/ swap: Coyote Motor Blog

-Chris

mockup1.gif

mockup2.gif

mockup3.gif

oilpanclearance1.jpg

oilpanclearance2.jpg

oilpanclearance3.jpg

oilpanclearance4.jpg

Last edited:

Stock Motor

Established Member
Thanks guys! Will definitely keep you posted. Lots left to do still with exhaust, wiring, etc. But I'll make updates every time something significant gets done.

G-STANG

Established Member
Can't wait to see it when it's done. I wonder what it will do with a stock motor in the 1/4 mile.

Users who are viewing this thread