My Coyote Motor Swap in an 86 LX Coupe

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Very cool man. It's pretty neat to see some guys in their garage experimenting and being the first to swap a new motor into an old car.

A few friends of mine were doing some work for a guy they knew and ended up buying the 2nd LS7 crate motor that was built and were the first to swap it into a C5 vette. The did the dry sump system, cam, headers, the works. It was cool to see and help out.

my92gt

Established Member
Im going to have to take a trip to my hometown(SB) pretty soon...... I want to see this one in action...

Stock Motor

Established Member
Thanks for the kind words fellas! We are having parts overnighted left, right, and center so we can get this car on the road. We *hope* to have the car down to the header shop before the end of the week. I will of course keep everyone updated with plenty of pics.

For those just jumping in, here is the build blog: Coyote blog

This is the car it's going into:
thecar.gif

thecar2.gif

Last edited:

Coiled03

Established Member
Nice!! You can legitimately keep the original 5.0 badges on there, :lol:.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Awesome swap!! What do you plan on doing for the power steering and brakes? Are you going to install a manual rack? Manual Brakes? Or try and use the EPAS steering? Or will you use a Hydraboost system to power the brakes and power steering?

Did your '86 originally come with A/C? If so, do you plan on keeping the A/C system functional? In places like Florida and California, it's a necessity. Plus, a nice additional detail to be able to say you kept.

Are you going to use the Throttle by wire system? Or will you use a cable operated throttle body? To the best of my knowledge, the throttle by wire is included in the standalone computer system, right?

Keep up the amazing pics!

Homer

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
Im betting with the right driver it should pull at least one high 11 second pass.

I would imagine better than that, seeing how it will need/have custom headers, exhaust, an intake to fit the bay, and a tune. Hell, the 11's are going mid-high 11's with those parts, and are a few hundred pounds heavier!!

OP, nice build! Was looking to start this swap over the winter as well, just have to sell the 331 first. It will be nice to see someone else iron out the headaches 1st, thats for sure :lol: :beer:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Thanks for the kind words fellas! We are having parts overnighted left, right, and center so we can get this car on the road. We *hope* to have the car down to the header shop before the end of the week. I will of course keep everyone updated with plenty of pics.

For those just jumping in, here is the build blog: Coyote blog

This is the car it's going into:
thecar.jpg

thecar2.jpg

Car looks great. Can't wait till its done.

Users who are viewing this thread