You man... that cobra cant autoX... YES IT CAN :P

forcefed03

9tmare
Established Member
Don't know about you guys, but at my local car show people talk shit on how cobras can't autocross at all! well i found this video and hoped you guys might enjoy it! Hopefully its not a repost. And it is NOT my car, but if it is someones here... nice driving :)

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unmtNJiSaNs&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - SVT Cobra Drifting an Autocross course[/nomedia]

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
atleats he made it cool. keeping the tires glued gets boring..gotta spice it up somehow even if it slows you down. cool vid

mrlrd1

Established Member
You do realize the video you posted shows EXACTLY why the Cobra is so poor at autocross, right? :lol1: That run - not good. I think a stock Explorer would have done better.

Very nose heavy (heavy overall), lacking brakes, compromised rear suspension design and lots of torque is what makes them a very poor choice.

Last edited:

Terminator-Fox

Soon...
Established Member
You do realize the video you posted shows EXACTLY why the Cobra is so poor at autocross, right? :lol1: That run - not good. I think a stock Explorer would have done better.

Very nose heavy (heavy overall), lacking brakes, compromised rear suspension design and lots of torque is what makes them a very poor choice.

Meh who gives a shit, looked good doing it :rockon:

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
Definitely not the best car for autoX work. I have learned from a fellow racer that if you can become proficient at racing with a "mach1" and can win, You can drive nearly any car out there and be successful. This girl, won the national championship autoX in her mach1, her name is Krissy if i remember correctly.
She said that front steering geometry was poor, car is heavy on the front and turn in is slow. That doesn't make me want to keep from driving, just when i get frustrated, i remember that it is one of the most difficult cars out there to drive.

Coiled03

Established Member
Just took mine autox'ing for the first time this year. It was my first autox ever, actually. I certainly wasn't the fastest guy out there, but I wasn't the slowest either. Front end was a little vague, but that might've been because the temp was in the upper 50s and I was on street tires, to tire temp wasn't great.

klr16G

Established Member
Needs a better sounding exhaust but still looks cool and from the video i bet one of the fastest or atleast most hp hahah

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member

x1231
everybody thinks just because it has an IRS that it can handle. mustangs have are capable to be setup to handle, but stock they are just refined muscle cars.

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
How does a supercharged cobra with IRS not autocross "well"? Sounds like your locals don't know jack lol.

from someone who has had a kenne bell cobra, that thing would blow at autocross; too tight of a track, too much torque, brakes arent great, not real good steering feedback, and turning radius isnt exactly tight. it would be a great road course car though with some suspension and brake mods.

hell, my 04 CTS-V feels like a miata on the autocross course compared to what my Cobra would be like...

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
Definitely not the best car for autoX work. I have learned from a fellow racer that if you can become proficient at racing with a "mach1" and can win, You can drive nearly any car out there and be successful. This girl, won the national championship autoX in her mach1, her name is Krissy if i remember correctly.
She said that front steering geometry was poor, car is heavy on the front and turn in is slow. That doesn't make me want to keep from driving, just when i get frustrated, i remember that it is one of the most difficult cars out there to drive.

funny you say that because around here at a few local events theres a AB Mach 1 that whoops up on everyone; last time out he was beating up on lotuses, lol

96slowbra

Established Member
i run every year in the auto-z at the rocky mountain mustang round up, and it is a blast! makes shows more fun when you can place in both a show and a race. these cars can do both

P1010125.jpg

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
funny you say that because around here at a few local events theres a AB Mach 1 that whoops up on everyone; last time out he was beating up on lotuses, lol

Mach1 is a bit lighter up front (and overall) with solid rear and less hp/tq which means you can drive it a bit harder before it bites back.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
As far as mustangs go, my opinion is and always will be that on an auto-x event the 99/01 Cobra's are about the best platform to build on.

You still have the crappy suspension geometry, but the aluminum block keeps weight down off the front tires and the IRS provides a more planted and transient response than the stick axle of the GT's or Mach 1's. The high revving 4.6 keeps the tires planted instead of simply hazing them.

In the end you're still getting smoked by smaller more nimble cars though.

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
As far as mustangs go, my opinion is and always will be that on an auto-x event the 99/01 Cobra's are about the best platform to build on.

You still have the crappy suspension geometry, but the aluminum block keeps weight down off the front tires and the IRS provides a more planted and transient response than the stick axle of the GT's or Mach 1's. The high revving 4.6 keeps the tires planted instead of simply hazing them.

In the end you're still getting smoked by smaller more nimble cars though.

although the 2011 GT did win F-Stock class at the SCCA National Championships

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
I dunno... my previous 04 whippled cobra was stock IRS with 00' Cobra R springs and struts all around, full length subframe connectors, kenne brown tower brace, and brembos. That S.O.B. could handle! I'm pissed thinking about it now. Most well rounded car I've ever been in.

Users who are viewing this thread