You man... that cobra cant autoX... YES IT CAN :P

black 10th vert

Established Member
These cars can be made to handle extremely well with the right suspension mods, but are way too front heavy for a good auto-x car. The only real advantage they have is that you can accelerate really fast out of the turns because of the massive low end torque. That video was cool, but that was not impressive time-wise, I'm sure. Drifting is always impressive looking, though, especially when it is a good driver that can control it perfectly.

black-plasma

Established Member
I have done a few autox's and 03/04's are not competitive at all. On a typical short, low speed course a well setup Miata will kick my ass. So yeah 03/04 Cobra's for the most part do suck at autox. Our fastest local autox guy is in a 4 cylinder fox body (not the svo with a turbo) and he can beat C6 Z06's on slicks all day long.

Now get on a road course and it's a different story... plus way more fun then an autox.

Jefe

Established Member
What car show? St Gregs last week? Not 1 single Cobra there :nonono: May have to enter next year

just to make a u-turn sometimes i gotta whip the tail :p

Sometimes? I do it every U-turn I can :lol:

Stephen4036

Established Member
You do realize the video you posted shows EXACTLY why the Cobra is so poor at autocross, right? :lol1: That run - not good. I think a stock Explorer would have done better.

Very nose heavy (heavy overall), lacking brakes, compromised rear suspension design and lots of torque is what makes them a very poor choice.

so what time do you run shumacher?

oh yeah thats right your explorer probably doesnt run.. stop talking.

Jefe

Established Member

But hes right and that video was perfect proof. Autocross winners have the fastest time around the track. Ours cars(not Fobras) have heavy front ends and are ass happy. Sliding the rear end around sure makes it fun to watch and drive but its not going to get you the trophy at the end of the event :lol:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I USED to autocross.:nonono::bored:

Three runs a day each over with in one minute??? No thanks! You can keep it.

If I wanted to autocross I would have bought an Honda S2000 or a Miata.

Bring that rice out to TWS or MSR houston and we will see who gives out the point by.:-D

steeda21

Mr. T
Established Member
haha that was awesome.driving normal around that would seem boring as crap..gotta have some fun.

mrlrd1

Established Member

I've got 3rd gen Camaro that would embarass a lot of cars on this site on a tight course, but it's nowhere near stock.

I don't have an Explorer. I know better. And if I did, you're right, it wouldn't run. It's a Ford, remember?

94venomV8

Established Member
Well....no cobras dont autocross well. My dads saleen cobra was doing the same times as a cavalier with suspension. Just because they are faster and have more power doesnt mean they will do well at all events. None of the cars are good at it, the new camaros, challengers, mustangs get worked at atuocross around here by miatas, cavaliers, focus' that have 1/3 the power. They are simply to big and heavy for the real tight turns that those events require.

RcodeStang

Established Member
As far as mustangs go, my opinion is and always will be that on an auto-x event the 99/01 Cobra's are about the best platform to build on.

You still have the crappy suspension geometry, but the aluminum block keeps weight down off the front tires and the IRS provides a more planted and transient response than the stick axle of the GT's or Mach 1's. The high revving 4.6 keeps the tires planted instead of simply hazing them.

In the end you're still getting smoked by smaller more nimble cars though.

solid rear>IRS

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
solid rear>IRS
:dw:

DER???

Not with the stock quadra-BIND 4 link in there, buddy! Not even close!

You are drinking the cool-aid.:dw:

If you think Mach 1s doing better in their class than 03/04 Cobras is because of the solid axle you are an extremely naive car guy.
I can list the reasons if you need them, but seriously WTF thinking it is the quadra-bind rear???

Last edited:

cobra_matt

Established Member
Driving around some cones in a parking lot never seemed appealing to me, not sure what all the hype is about. But good for the Miatas and Cavaliers being good at AutoX lol.

f8lmach

Occasional SVT Poster
Established Member
I'm not saying that the cobras do that well at autocross but...
It was raining lol and it was fun to watch

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
You do realize the video you posted shows EXACTLY why the Cobra is so poor at autocross, right? :lol1: That run - not good. I think a stock Explorer would have done better.

Very nose heavy (heavy overall), lacking brakes, compromised rear suspension design and lots of torque is what makes them a very poor choice.

Really? Factory brembos and pulling .90gs on a skidpad must make it a worse choice than an "stock Explorer". If you don't know shit maybe you shouldn't even bother opening your mouth. Even without traction it was still moving, a lot faster than an underpowered car with no torque trying to gain speed regardless of traction.

It's not the best autocross car, but it's not the worst either. Better than most pony cars of it's time. Watch an fbody around that autocross, :lol:

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Really? Factory brembos and pulling .90gs on a skidpad must make it a worse choice than an "stock Explorer". If you don't know shit maybe you shouldn't even bother opening your mouth. Even without traction it was still moving, a lot faster than an underpowered car with no torque trying to gain speed regardless of traction.

It's not the best autocross car, but it's not the worst either. Better than most pony cars of it's time. Watch an fbody around that autocross, :lol:

PBR Calipers + Brembo Rotors =/= "Factory Brembos"

:bored:

mrlrd1

Established Member

Not the best? Of course it's not. EVERYTHING about the car is just wrong for autocross. It works OK on a big road course, does well on the street, is mediocre on the drag strip, but just plain sucks in a small tight autocross. It didn't help that the driver in the video was treating the throttle like an on/off switch either.

Skidpad numbers mean nothing here - get a clue. Did you see any steady state turns in that video? :kaboom: I don't care what rotors Ford gave it. The brakes still suck.

Users who are viewing this thread