LED Gauge lights

sam92lx

SVTP Style Consultant.
Established Member
I have a buddy who just installed LED lights in his cobra. They look good but I would like to see if anyone else has done this? Anybody changed up the center console gauges to match or even a-pillar gauges. Any help?

92whitestang

Established Member
I did mine. they came out great. would definitely recommend. I also went with the blue lights. Only bad part is that the clock color cannot be changed with the bulbs. the entire change is very easy.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
This is a crappy cell phone shot, they look much brighter and are lot more blue in person. I did the super white led's on the gauges and a/c control panel.
Photo0756.jpg

Monster Mach

Established Member
Damn that's cool.. I wonder what diff bulbs would look like.. like blue leds on the mach 1 or red

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
I have the LED's sitting here next to me for the gauges and the HVAC controls. They just discontinued the white faced gauge overlays :bored:

So if anyone has some they're willing to sell me I'm ready to buy!

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
looks horrible in person, IMO. there are hot and dull spots all over the cluster, plus the color never looks right.

crazycarlo

Established Member
looks horrible in person, IMO. there are hot and dull spots all over the cluster, plus the color never looks right.

What bulbs did you get because the cool white in my 98 cobra has no dull spots in color and looks great.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
iirc the correct way to do this is to wetsand the colored green transparent film off and then use the colored bulb of your choice or wire in LED's.

Im going to attempt this on my GST if I can get my hands on a 2g cluster to try it first (dont want to **** up mine).

crazycarlo

Established Member
iirc the correct way to do this is to wetsand the colored green transparent film off and then use the colored bulb of your choice or wire in LED's.

Im going to attempt this on my GST if I can get my hands on a 2g cluster to try it first (dont want to **** up mine).

its diff in 96-98 cobras. The way we get blue is with a cool white LED. the gauges already have a blue film on them. They mix yellow regular bulbs with the blue film to get the green on the 98's.

sam92lx

SVTP Style Consultant.
Established Member
Thanks Rio, very good write up. This looks like my next mod.

chaoticdismay

dr. hobo
Established Member
its diff in 96-98 cobras. The way we get blue is with a cool white LED. the gauges already have a blue film on them. They mix yellow regular bulbs with the blue film to get the green on the 98's.

More like the yellow hue of the incandescent bulbs + the blue film makes for white(ish) light; example: Mach1/Bullitt gauge clusters have a blue film behind them (unlike the rest of the 01-04s that have green) and bulbs that give off a yellowish color, the result is white numbers in the gauge cluster.

I've experienced hot/dull spots with using just bulbs in the stock locations but currently I am using LED strips (warm, because I didn't want to remove the blue film of the Mach cluster and I couldn't find regular white when I was ready to purchase) around the edge of the cluster; I still have dull spots, so my next plan of attack is to re-add bulbs in the stock locations to even it all out. I also sprayed the back part of the cluster, that the bulbs go through, with "chrome" paint which helped even the light a little but not as much as I had hoped.

crazycarlo

Established Member
More like the yellow hue of the incandescent bulbs + the blue film makes for white(ish) light; example: Mach1/Bullitt gauge clusters have a blue film behind them (unlike the rest of the 01-04s that have green) and bulbs that give off a yellowish color, the result is white numbers in the gauge cluster.

I've experienced hot/dull spots with using just bulbs in the stock locations but currently I am using LED strips (warm, because I didn't want to remove the blue film of the Mach cluster and I couldn't find regular white when I was ready to purchase) around the edge of the cluster; I still have dull spots, so my next plan of attack is to re-add bulbs in the stock locations to even it all out. I also sprayed the back part of the cluster, that the bulbs go through, with "chrome" paint which helped even the light a little but not as much as I had hoped.

well i dunno i guess every car id diff.....but if i remember correctly yellow and blue makes green.....and when u put pure white LEDS in a 96-98 cobra with the blue tint on there they light up blue. And if u get the Leds with the bulbs facing towrads the front and the side there shouldnt be any dull spots.

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
What bulbs did you get because the cool white in my 98 cobra has no dull spots in color and looks great.

well in the pic above you have hot spots around 20-40mph & 6-7k on the tach. you also have dull spots between 3-6k on the tach and 60-110mph on the speedo.

i tried a few different LED bulbs I even tried a strip of like 26 LED lights and tried to wrap them around the gauge cluster but the plastic behind our cluster prevented me from laying them out evenly and this idea was scrapped as well.

crazycarlo

Established Member
well i dunno ur computer screen must be better then mine....no seriously i cant see that but i can promise u its jsut the pic because in real life i have no hot or dull spots. The only think i dont like about the mod is the fact that my mileage numbers can be a little harder to see sometimes thats it lol.

Users who are viewing this thread