Pics of My Dash Mounted Android Tablet

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
Well, since I have photobucket fired up and am in a picture posting mood I decided I will go ahead and post pics of my stereo modification I did a few months ago.

So I have wanted to build a car pc in my dash for years so that I could have music, movies, navigation, internet access, etc. all in one system. I had an old laptop that I wanted to use with a 7inch touchscreen as the display. Just this last year though mobile tablets have started coming out and it turns out that a 7inch tablet is almost a direct fit for out double din dash. Not only that, but its got everything I wanted all built into a device that I can pop in and out of my car to use for more than just my stereo. So, I bought a Dell Streak 7 since it was dual core, had decent internal storage, 4g, and designed to be in landscape mode because of the ffc and button layout. I bought a sony head unit that I have set up underneath my pass seat that has bluetooth and connects wirelessly to my tablet when its in the car so the sound plays through my mach 460.

Anyway, as you can see in the pic below it is just a little wide so I had to make relief cuts in the plastic to drop it down.

IMG_20110430_125515.jpg

After making relief cuts I was able to place a piece of cardboard down where I wanted the tablet to sit so that it was pushing out the sides of the radio bezel area to the correct width. I then epoxied a plastic backing to the bezel for the tablet to sit back up against. Unfortunately I dont have pics of this process, but I then got body filler and shaped the relief cuts in the bezel to contour the round edges of the tablet. I then painted it and placed a fabic for the tablet to sit up against as well as give a finished look when the tablet is not in my car.

Here are a couple pics of it finished. I rushed it so it would be done for a long trip, but eventually I will find the perfect matching paint and then re-cloth it. This thing works great though :dancenana:

IMG_20110505_134440.jpg

IMG_20110505_135750.jpg

If anyone else has a car pc please post pics. Its always cool to see other ideas

Last edited:

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Pretty cool but it isn't flush enough which is why it looks out of place, and the rounded corners. It just looks like it was wedged in there. Never the less, way better than a stereo unit.

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
Pretty cool but it isn't flush enough which is why it looks out of place, and the rounded corners. It just looks like it was wedged in there. Never the less, way better than a stereo unit.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I agree too, in person you can definitely see its not factory and that its not meant to be there with the rounded corners and all.

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
Butter knife? J/K

If the edges were cut better it would look a little better IMO

I assume you mean on the cloth because that was the only thing with edges that was cut. Anyway, it was cut well, but the problem came in when I was using a spray adhesive to stick it to the backing. Problem was once I placed it that stuff would not budge at all, so its not sitting right :bash:, but that part will eventually be redone. That spray adhesive stuff is crazy though, I had never used it before then

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
it would have been sweet to cut the hole a little bigger and mount it from behind. cool idea though! i like it.

I agree, and I was originally going to do that, but this allows for it to be removable and I wouldnt have had access to the power button if I mounted it from behind, and that would have been a huge problem lol

harvboi05

Established Member
how are you using the audio out? plugs directly in the read of the tablet or some sort of wireless?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you don't care to have a true factory look, then IMO what you did looks fine. It's really up to how perfect you want it to look and what you'd have to do to get that perfect look. One thing I would definitely do is clean up the bottom edge of the fabric because it is visible with the unit attached. I might be seeing fabric at the top, too. Not sure. You want that fabric to be hidden all around the unit. Good job on the install! Very clever and innovative.

Monster Mach

Established Member
my question how is this hooked up? what is processing the sound and converting it to usable sound for the speakers?

smitty2919

Established Member
my question how is this hooked up? what is processing the sound and converting it to usable sound for the speakers?

"I bought a sony head unit that I have set up underneath my pass seat that has bluetooth and connects wirelessly to my tablet when its in the car so the sound plays through my mach 460."

03cobrarocks

Established Member
pretty cool imo.. Might not look exactly flush and stuff but pretty cool none the less.

Would like to see others that have something similar.

Just dont know how I like having the bluetooth thing going on.. personally I hate bluetooth.

ITSTOCK

Established Member
An android tablet would go great with Torque! I wonder if you can get the app for your tablet?

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
It looks pretty good, looks like it would be hard to use though. The flip-up screens are a little easier since they flip above the shifter.

This is a shitty example but it gives you an idea.

13339490abe21427fca4eb25d122ea95b6887470.jpg

I really like what the S197 guys can do with tablets.

[youtube_browser]YRSGehHTXw4[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread