Pics of My Dash Mounted Android Tablet

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
that's pretty cool, how does it stay in your dash? Velcro?

My question as well. I assume it would have to be Velcro.

Just dont know how I like having the bluetooth thing going on.. personally I hate bluetooth.

Agreed. Bluetooth audio quality leaves much to be desired. Still a cool idea for someone who wants internet, etc, in their car.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Maybe it's the pics and it looks better in person, but I'm not a fan at all.

It looks alright when the tablet is installed, but when you take it out, the fabric just doesn't seem like the best option.

Last edited:

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
how are you using the audio out? plugs directly in the read of the tablet or some sort of wireless?

It currently connects wirelessly to a hidden head unit.

One thing I would definitely do is clean up the bottom edge of the fabric because it is visible with the unit attached. I might be seeing fabric at the top, too. Not sure. You want that fabric to be hidden all around the unit.

Thanks for the input, I was thinking about doing it different once I refinish the thing. Its hard to see in the pics, but the plastic bezel has a rounded shape as it goes down and back to where the tc/foglight/defroster buttons are. I ran the fabric all the way down to those, but I think you are right, it will probably look better if I dont run it down that far.

that's pretty cool, how does it stay in your dash? Velcro?

Its hard to see in the pics, but I angled the relief cuts down and back. When you put the tablet in it slides down and back, gravity and a good fit keeps it in. Hasnt budged after many hard accelerations :burnout:

Just dont know how I like having the bluetooth thing going on.. personally I hate bluetooth.

The bluetooth stereo actual doesnt do too bad. Its certainly not studio quality, but its like listening to the radio. My ultimate goal is to use the PDMI connection on the bottom for audio out (currently just used for charging in the car), but all the research Ive done has led me to believe it has a digital audio out and I will need to convert it to an analog signal somehow before running into my headunit. Ive yet to find a tutorial of how to do this. At that point though the sound quality should be excellent.

An android tablet would go great with Torque! I wonder if you can get the app for your tablet?

You're absolutely right and I forgot to mention that in the original description of features. I do have the torque app that allows custom gauges on the screen. It works perfectly on the tablet and the screen allows the gauges to be easily readable. Not only that, it allows me to check engine codes and erase them right from the tablet :thumbsup:

It looks pretty good, looks like it would be hard to use though. The flip-up screens are a little easier since they flip above the shifter.

I really like what the S197 guys can do with tablets.

Believe it or not it sits at the perfect level in terms of view and reach and I havent had any issues with the shifter being in the way. I do have a mgw shifter though, so a taller one may cause a problem.

I agree about the S197. I owned a s197 for a few months before this car and was planning on doing a setup in that car. Probably would have ended up looking cleaner, but unfortunately that car was stolen, so it was back to a new edge.

Maybe it's the pics and it looks better in person, but I'm not a fan at all.

It looks alright when the tablet is installed, but when you take it out, the fabric just doesn't seem like the best option.

Yeah, when the tablet is out it is easy to see there is something up with my dash. Fabric may not be the best option, but if you got suggestions I am all ears. Anything to make it better on a budget is what Im about :thumbsup:

Last edited:

cobra101

Established Member
Quick question... Which Bluetooth odbii adapter are u using? ( for the torque app communications)

Also, regarding other mmedia ideas. My buddy, bout 5 years ago, put a mac mini in his car. Hooked to a POP out Lcd 7" in dash unit. Worked great for everything.

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
Quick question... Which Bluetooth odbii adapter are u using? ( for the torque app communications)

Also, regarding other mmedia ideas. My buddy, bout 5 years ago, put a mac mini in his car. Hooked to a POP out Lcd 7" in dash unit. Worked great for everything.

This is similar to the obd2 sensor that I got. Mini Small ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 OBD-II CAN-BUS Scanner | eBay

There are cheaper ones, but I wanted to make sure the thing didnt stick out in the middle of my footwell. Pretty cool about your friends mac mini. That was a possible option as well as an itx-board based computer, but when the tablets came out it just seemed like it would be easier and less expensive.

Something that I've been thinking about doing for awhile. Looks good

Its not perfect, but the functionality is exactly what I wanted. You can look at mp3car.com to get an idea of the carpc options out there. The sky is the limit really

cbr repsol

Established Member
I bought a sony head unit that I have set up underneath my pass seat that has bluetooth and connects wirelessly to my tablet when its in the car so the sound plays through my mach 460.

How does it connect to the cars stereo wiring harness? Any pics of the sony head unit install and how much it cost? I would really like to do something like this. Just not a big electronics guy so i dont know where to begin.
looks great though
Thanks

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
OP I like your idea, looks very good and cool. The only thing it needs is some more work to make the install look cleaner/proffesional. Nonetheless I find it to be a great idea and mod.

It looks pretty good, looks like it would be hard to use though. The flip-up screens are a little easier since they flip above the shifter.

This is a shitty example but it gives you an idea.

13339490abe21427fca4eb25d122ea95b6887470.jpg

I have to disagree with you on this, I find the flip-outs to look "cheap" IMO. They always seem to feel flimsy when you touch the screen and they cover up the ac controls which to me is an inconvenience. I have an in-dash in the stock double din location and the shifter is in no way in the way. It actually doubles an arm rest if you may call that so I can rest my wrist on it while messing with the double din.

DSCN0721.jpg

Photo1179.jpg

brainpa

Established Member
Man, rough crowd here.

Personally I think it rocks! Here's a guy with his own ideas and talents who completely fabs up his own in-dash, in car PC - with blue tooth connectivity to boot!

Props.

TOTALLY.:beer:

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
Man, rough crowd here.

Personally I think it rocks! Here's a guy with his own ideas and talents who completely fabs up his own in-dash, in car PC - with blue tooth connectivity to boot!

Props.

TOTALLY.:beer:

Actually the opposite, plenty of compliments and the criticism was constructive.

gksingh

Established Member
that looks so wicked.

Amazing idea, is there anyway to actually leave the deck in place and just put the tablet in the front.

or maybe sink the deck in a bit and just keep the droid over top. I guess it kind of saves you the convience of re running all the wires.

just a little suggestion for the not so electronically kind folks

good work though hows the sound quality with the blue tooth... any type of wierd noises from the transition to the deck or sounds normal?

oh yea and how much are you paying monthly for the data service, im assuming the navigation....

Last edited:

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
that looks so wicked.

Amazing idea, is there anyway to actually leave the deck in place and just put the tablet in the front.

or maybe sink the deck in a bit and just keep the droid over top. I guess it kind of saves you the convience of re running all the wires.

just a little suggestion for the not so electronically kind folks

good work though hows the sound quality with the blue tooth... any type of wierd noises from the transition to the deck or sounds normal?

oh yea and how much are you paying monthly for the data service, im assuming the navigation....
If the deck was permanently in the car you could cut out a notch and wire the deck to the tablet and have better sound quality, also the table doesn't need a provider, it can tether off your phone if need be...so something like this would be enough.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Pandigital-Android-Multimedia-eReader-R70A200FR/dp/B005C386JW/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1314218462&sr=1-2]Amazon.com: Pandigital Planet Android 2.2 2 GB 7-Inch Multimedia Tablet and Color eReader with Kindle, R70A200FR (Black): Computers & Accessories[/ame]

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
OP I like the idea, you did a pretty good job with it too.

I really like what the S197 guys can do with tablets.

[youtube_browser]YRSGehHTXw4[/youtube_browser]

Wow, that's pretty sweet.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
OP I like your idea, looks very good and cool. The only thing it needs is some more work to make the install look cleaner/proffesional. Nonetheless I find it to be a great idea and mod.

I have to disagree with you on this, I find the flip-outs to look "cheap" IMO. They always seem to feel flimsy when you touch the screen and they cover up the ac controls which to me is an inconvenience. I have an in-dash in the stock double din location and the shifter is in no way in the way. It actually doubles an arm rest if you may call that so I can rest my wrist on it while messing with the double din.

DSCN0721.jpg

Photo1179.jpg

Well said, and nicely done yourself. I've wanted a setup like yours for a while. Now maybe I'll have to look into the tablet idea though.

Users who are viewing this thread