600 HP N/A Carburated Ford 6.2 SOHC Foxbody Notch Build - High 9's Or Bust!!

SmokeGreyHatch

Established Member
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to start a build thread for a project that is finally coming to fruition. Ever since I talked to Don Bowles 4+ years ago regarding the infamous “777” 6.2-based project that propelled his 3300lb S197 to the low 9’s naturally aspirated, I’ve passionately wanted to stretch the limits of the 6.2 platform in a fox body. This motor has so much potential; it truly is a refined modern version of the nostalgic 427 cammer. Ever since the modular platform debuted in the early 90’s, they have been held back by bore center constraints ultimately limiting cubic inches. That all changed with the 6.2 platform.

The goal for this project in phase 1 is to see how fast I can go naturally aspirated on pump gas with the stock short block and compression. Currently I have the motor setup built along with the tranny platform set up. This is all going in a 2800lb Notch with Team Z suspension, Aerospace brakes, Aeromotive fuel system, the whole 9 yards. I’d like to surpass 600 hp at the crank and high 9’s in the 1/4 with the following build:

Ford 6.2 SOHC – Raptor Motor

Stock shortblock, 9.8:1 Compression
Flycut Factory Pistons, .070 on Exhaust
Custom “one-off” Fluidamper SFI Approved Harmonic Balancer
Custom “one-off” Melling Billet Oil Pump Gears, Wire EDM’d
Fox Lake Hand Ported Heads, 6 angle custom valve job (heads support 750 hp NA)
350/230 cfm @ .650
VCT phasor delete plugged and welded, cams degreed
Bullet Custom Grind Cams
240/250 @ .050,.600/.590 gross lift, installed on 114
Custom valve springs, cups, retainers
Custom Lash Caps on Rockers
Custom Rocker Support Braces
Powdercoated valve covers and timing cover
Custom idler pulleys and belt routing for crank/water pump/alternator
Custom billet 6061 intake adaptor plates for Edelbrock 2860
Edelbrock 2860 Glidden Victor Spyder Intake Manifold
Wilson Manifolds 1” Tapered Carb Spacer
Pro Systems 1000 CFM 4150
MSD 6 Mod ignition controller with stock dual-plug coils, custom wiring harness for 6.2 pigtails (cam/crank/coils)
Custom 1.75” coated and wrapped long tubes

Ford 4R75W – Performance Automatic prepped

SFI flexplate
Tranny Brake
Deep aluminum pan
Billet input/output
Full reverse manual VB with OD on a switch
HD bands and internals
PI triple disc lock up converter

Ford 8.8 – Strange prepped

Lightened FRPP 4.10’s, REM treated
Lightened spool
Gundrilled 33 spline lightened axles
Welded and braced

Here are a few pics of the motor. Hope to have this on the road by the end of 2014. Still need to find a clean chassis to start the ground up paint and chassis work. Feel free to let me know any questions you may have and I’ll continue to update this as I make progress.

IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

Thanks,

Matt

kwkshift

Established Member
That's cool. I'm surprised that it will only take 9.8:1 CR to get 600hp. You should be able to run about 11.7:1 (ish) on 91. Wouldn't that yield another 25-30hp?

Never mind....I just saw where you said it's a stock short block.

Last edited:

SmokeGreyHatch

Established Member
9.8:1 is the factory compression. With the limitations of the cam grind, it'll likely take around 11.5:1 on 91, but I want to see how far the stock shortblock can propel me. Manley just released H Beams and 2618 forged 11:1 pistons which is great. I refuse to pay Livernois's pricing for their stroker options, albeit 400 cubes would be nice. I purchased this setup from Paul of Paul's high performance. After reaching out to him to discuss a 6.2 project in general based on his success, the timing was right as he just sold the rolling chassis for the combo pictured below. I purchased his motor and tranny setup with only 15 passes and 40 miles on the build. He used a modified 2010 gt harness, stock truck intake (ported), 82mm TB, and Spanish Oak to get his 3600 lb 2010 gt into the 10.70's at over 128mph. I'm taking that combo and carburating it with a custom Victor Glidden intake setup/adaptor plates (similar to Don Bowles) and custom wired MSD 6 Mod in a car that weighs 800 LB less. His combo produced 450 rwhp through the heavy and loose 4R75W (20% losses). The engine with the limitation of the stock induction was making about 560 flywheel HP. This new carbed induction should make another 40+ and be getting to the ground better through drivetrain efficiencies. I'll eventually be experimenting with E85 and FTW fuel, but wanted to see how fast I can go on 91 pump. I've made 14 more rwhp over 91 with an N/A Coyote and 29 rwhp over 91 on FTW Purple. Should be interesting.

Paul's 2010 GT Setup:

pauls.jpg

Last edited:

SVTPete83

Established Member
People always ask me what is the best part of my raptor. I always tell them the 6.2. It's a beast of a motor and sounds great to boot. This is gonna be an awesome project op! I can't wait to see it in a notch back!

Sick SVT

Established Member
Badass man. When you get the chassis let me know. I would love to help out on this project.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread