600 HP N/A Carburated Ford 6.2 SOHC Foxbody Notch Build - High 9's Or Bust!!

mineralstangt

Established Member
Well I'll be damned, I was just discussing if a Raptor motor swap into my '02 would be a possible project with my cousin last night. That seems like an interesting project you got yourself there.

SmokeGreyHatch

Established Member
So it's not a Notch, but I could absolutely not pass up this car. It screams foxbody nostalgia and it's super rare - 1 of 156 lx hatches with paint code 6H. Probably rarer with the sunroof and factory tan vinyl interior. This is a cream puff one owner, all original paint, stock down to the factory stereo and air silencer - with owner's manual and documentation! It'll go great with the black engine theme and black/billet Welds. Picking it up next weekend and I'll start stripping it down for the ground up! Enjoy:

yellowfox2.jpg

yellowfox1.jpg

yellowfox4.jpg

yellowfox3.jpg

mossbergman

Established Member
i just wanna know how the guy ran the motor off the 2010 wiring and spanish oak. especially with the dual spark plugs

SmokeGreyHatch

Established Member
i just wanna know how the guy ran the motor off the 2010 wiring and spanish oak. especially with the dual spark plugs

Remember, no VCT and the dual plug acts like a single as it's one coil that fires both plugs simultaneously. The harness was extensively modified along with the SCT programming. Paul battled torque management and many other issues to get it right. It's a very difficult swap OEM EFI, it'd be much easier to do a stand alone.

micah m

I would love to talk to you in length about the project. I am in the market for a core motor right now to start figuring stuff out. You are way ahead! Do you think there is room on either valve cover (with a sheet metal cover ) for a distributor? I can tell you now I have 3 of those mod 6 boxes on my shelf with bad coil drivers! You might be ok on motor, but start increasing cylinder pressure that box wont keep up. The exhaust flow seams low comparied to the intake. We are running a 304" 2v carb, on a plate system right now and have people scratching there heads, wait till they see that this motor can do.
Micah M

SmokeGreyHatch

Established Member
I would love to talk to you in length about the project. I am in the market for a core motor right now to start figuring stuff out. You are way ahead! Do you think there is room on either valve cover (with a sheet metal cover ) for a distributor? I can tell you now I have 3 of those mod 6 boxes on my shelf with bad coil drivers! You might be ok on motor, but start increasing cylinder pressure that box wont keep up. The exhaust flow seams low comparied to the intake. We are running a 304" 2v carb, on a plate system right now and have people scratching there heads, wait till they see that this motor can do.
Micah M

I don't think the cam covers/timing cover will work very easily with a distributor drive. Better off doing a crank trigger with Electromotive or MSD coils. Could also do belt driven distributor. I went the 6 Mod route as it's the most cost effective wiring in the OEM ford pigtails. I called Ron at Fox Lake and he was only able to go off of memory. He knew the heads went 320+ CFM stock and 350+ after the port work, but he couldn't recall the exhaust. Thought is was in the 230 range, but could be more. The exhaust ports are huge and with a 1.65 valve could be in the 240 range. Feel free to call me. 269-369-9042

Matt

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Subscribing, planning on doing a modern 427 SOHC 6.2 based motor to replace the 427W in my '91 True Street car down the road, glad others see the potential in this motor!
Awesome build, good luck!
-J

germeezy1

Established Member
I have been reading about this 6.2 engine, and the " 777 " project, and I am glad to see someone pushing the envelope, and realizing just how capable this engine is. It seems that there is so much Coyote this Coyote that, and making fun of cubic inches that no one is as interested in big cube power as much anymore. Do you think that the head flow will be an issue if you increase displacement especially in the low, and mid lift zones with your current heads? Livernois flow tested the stock 6.2 heads at more than the ported Fox Lakes if I remember correctly. I believe they crossed 320 cfm at .500 lift , and 28 inches of water IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread