Porsche goes down

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Getting onto I5 the other day on a very long on ramp, a Porsche was right on my butt as I went around a slow moving pickup, I sped up a little bit giving him room to go around me (2 lane on ramp, that about 3/4 mile ahead merges into a 1 lane before it hits the freeway) but he just stays right on my bumper.. hmmm, guess he wants to play, so down shift from 4th into 2nd and go WOT.. very rapidly I start putting car, then bus lengths on him, when I let off in the lower tripple digits. Before I hit the interstate, I slow down to 68 mph and he stays way behind me, I have to slow down to 55 mph before he slowly passes me so I can see what type of car it is, some type of badgeless Cayman, I'm supposing he though it was a fast car. Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Cayman is the bottom end of Porsche cars and not that fast.

looking online, it looked like the Cayman S, since it had the dual exhaust tips, not the single large exhaust on the base Cayman

Last edited:

SlowLNF

Established Member
Very nice. I can never get any of the high end cars to give me the time of day around here. Tried playing with a Panarama the other day but he wouldn't bite.

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
Good kill OP

What did Gen. Custer and Quadafi say the same?

Where in the hell did all these f*&%ing Tomahawks come from?

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
So you took off without letting him know? lol

Good kill i guess but anyone is going to put bus lengths on someone when they just take off.

arc00ta

Established Member
So you took off without letting him know? lol

Good kill i guess but anyone is going to put bus lengths on someone when they just take off.

Thats the San Diego way, nobody lines up. You have to play catch up so its best to just take off if you think there might be a race. I can't count the number of times I came up on a mustang GT when I still had my f-bodies and they would just blast off through traffic as soon as I got anywhere near them.

I'LL B Bok

Established Member
Drink Less Coffee...

Thats the San Diego way, nobody lines up. You have to play catch up so its best to just take off if you think there might be a race. I can't count the number of times I came up on a mustang GT when I still had my f-bodies and they would just blast off through traffic as soon as I got anywhere near them.

I don't know why i think this is hilarious. I see people do it all the time and just let them go, its funny to watch. I asked a guy once after i caught up at a light and he said "...(from in front of me) it sounded like you down shifted...." lmao! i said the car is loud but not that loud.

Catfood

Established Member
Caymans are superior to the 911 engineering wise. They midengine design is solid. They are not straight line cars though. Im hoping they come out with a cayman turbo S

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I assume the turning was done on this on ramp and it was straight ramp when this all happened.

I have done an Open Track event with 5 of them in my run group.

I caught three of them but I could only stay in front of two of them.
Straight line speed they are quick but generally not modded Terminator quick.

On a road course however they are amazing, the cornering speeds are really high, they don't need to slow nearly as much for the corner as I do.

If they put the big power engines in them from the upper level 911s, they would be ridiculous.

If I had the dough I would love to own one.

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
I assume the turning was done on this on ramp and it was straight ramp when this all happened.

On a road course however they are amazing, the cornering speeds are really high, they don't need to slow nearly as much for the corner as I do.

If they put the big power engines in them from the upper level 911s, they would be ridiculous.

This to the tee!

Jimmy, you should look at the Cayman R. It is the closest thing to a 911 powered Cayman. I bet it will be a rocket ship at HPDE events. :rockon:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member

very slight corner (sign says 40) in the middle of it, but I've taken it at triple that speed before, staying in my lane.. so yeah, the Cayman's forte, which is handling wasn't a player in this game, unfortuantely for him..

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
This to the tee!

Jimmy, you should look at the Cayman R. It is the closest thing to a 911 powered Cayman. I bet it will be a rocket ship at HPDE events. :rockon:
I read about them as soon as I heard about them.:rockon::beer:
WAAAAAY too much money for a guy like me. Maybe a used 07 roller that I can plug a big 911 engine in.:-D:p;-)

very slight corner (sign says 40) in the middle of it, but I've taken it at triple that speed before, staying in my lane.. so yeah, the Cayman's forte, which is handling wasn't a player in this game, unfortuantely for him..

Yep, on the straights they were fairly easy pickins, but a few were so fast in the turns I could not make up the difference.

I really like these cars, one of the best looking P cars IMHO, the fact that they are mid instead of rear engine, makes them a killer track car.

If they were a little cheaper.... ahhh if only.

Last edited:

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
I read about them as soon as I heard about them.:rockon::beer:
WAAAAAY too much money for a guy like me. Maybe a used 07 roller that I can plug a big 911 engine in.:-D:p;-)

Yep, on the straights they were fairly easy pickins, but a few were so fast in the turns I could not make up the difference.

I really like these cars, one of the best looking P cars IMHO, the fact that they are mid instead of rear engine, makes them a killer track car.

If they were a little cheaper.... ahhh if only.

^ Sounds like a hell of a plan/project. Get it done!!! I was reading in a Porsche magazine a couple weeks ago that a guy put a 911 motor in a Boxster. The thing was a monster!

They are really good looking! My uncle has an '09 Cayman and at tracks like Pocono or Watkins Glen he struggles to keep up due to being a 100hp off the C4S. At tracks like Monticello however, it is exactly the other way around. That perfect weight distribution really pays off. It is amazing the different ways a car can perform when put in different situation and how its strong and weak suits come out in different scenarios. The Caymans are definitely meant for the turns. :beer:

Last edited:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
^ Sounds like a hell of a plan/project. Get it done!!! I was reading in a Porsche magazine a couple weeks ago that a guy put a 911 motor in a Boxster. The thing was a monster!

They are really good looking! My uncle has an '09 Cayman and at tracks like Pocono or Watkins Glen he struggles to keep up due to being a 100hp off the C4S. At tracks like Monticello however, it is exactly the other way around. That perfect weight distribution really pays off. It is amazing the different ways a car can perform when put in different situation and how its strong and weak suits come out in different scenarios. The Caymans are definitely meant for the turns. :beer:

I'd love to drive a Cayman.. the closest handling car I've had that would compare is the S2000, and that's down what, 100-150 hp on a Cayman?

Users who are viewing this thread