An Offer I Just Refused

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
So I just got a letter from Roush Industries, on behalf of Ford Motor Company:

Dear xxxxx:

Your Mustang Cobra may be selected as part of Ford's on-going effort to increase the quality and performance of their vehicles. Ford Motor Company has asked Roush Industries to send this letter to owners of 2003 model vehicles in your area.

Ford is inviting your participation in a special engineering emissions test program. Vehicles chosen to be used in the program will be emissions tested for Ford engineers to evaluate. The purpose of this program is to evaluate how well the emission system is functioning. Your vehicle will be tested indoors on a dynamometer (treadmill-like device) and driven simulating normal driving conditions.

This program is completely voluntary. The normal program length is five to ten working days; however, occasionally it may extend longer. We are offering owner's whose vehicles are selected for testing, the following incentives:

• $100.00 cash.
• Free use of a Taurus vehicle while participating in the program. The vehicle will have a full tank of gas when delivered.
• The vehicle will be washed, vacuumed, and have a full tank of fuel when the vehicle is returned to you.
• Convenient exchange of vehicles at home, place of business, or at the test facility.

Your vehicle will be safeguarded and fully insured by Roush Industries. If you have any further questions, please feel free to call our staff at 1-800-748-0320.

Please fill out and mail the enclosed pre-stamped post card whether or not you agree to participate. If you want to participate, please correct any erroneous information on the postcard address label and include a phone number where you may be reached. We look forward to receiving your prompt response. Thank you for your time and interest in this program.

Sincerely,
Dan McConnaughey Roush Industries

An accompanying letter from Ford advises that "Repairs or adjustments found through normal diagnostics may be performed on your vehicle at no cost to you."

My answer:

"Are you kidding? You want me to hand over my Cobra to some unknown people for 5-10 days to run on a dyno and make "repairs and adjustments" in exchange for the loaner of..... a Taurus? Maybe for a Ford GT, but for heaven's sake, not for a Taurus. And if by any chance I were to agree to this, it would be for 1 day, with me present during the testing, and with no repairs or adjustments without my permission. And, of course, you would be totally responsible for ANYTHING that went wrong with the car, or ANY damage. Thanks, but no thanks."

Sheesh, they don't even offer the loaner of a Roush racing vehicle.

Jefe

Established Member
they didnt tell you what they were gonna do? And was this by mail? Did you just type out the entire letter?

NoSlowGT

Make me a sandwhich bitch
Established Member
Premium Member
Wow. Thats not a very good trade-off. I would have done the same thing.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
03AZRoush said:
they didnt tell you what they were gonna do? And was this by mail? Did you just type out the entire letter?

Scanned it in, did OCR, cut 'n' paste. They said they were going to emissions test the vehicle. I've had emissions tests before -- didn't require 5-10 days (or more). That's what they SAID. I don't believe them.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Looks to me like Ford and Roush has some new fangled parts they need to test out and are looking for local cars to use as test mules.

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
Take it to em with all the emissions stuff removed and see what they say.

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
I'm glad you didn't actually let them do it! Can you imagine? You get your car back with 300+ miles on it from before all from the dyno... Yeah, right... They were drifting in the back parking lot and using them for the week they have it! :burnout:

KnightHawks97

Objects N Mirror R Losing
Established Member
So basically they were wanting to "rent" your 2003 Mustang SVT Cobra for 10 days for $100?

lol you can't even get the econobox rental cars for that cheap!

theDRIVER

Literally haulin' ass
Established Member
RDJ said:
Looks to me like Ford and Roush has some new fangled parts they need to test out and are looking for local cars to use as test mules.

or maybe they need his car to put some secret film in his door panels, so that they can send the car over to iraq to outrun the gun toting camels, and bring it back in time for the original poster. you know some kinda spy shit that happens everyday......

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
theDRIVER said:
or maybe they need his car to put some secret film in his door panels, so that they can send the car over to iraq to outrun the gun toting camels, and bring it back in time for the original poster. you know some kinda spy shit that happens everyday......

I was thinking that it must be something along those lines... :bored:

03CobraDude

90_red_lx said:
Take it to em with all the emissions stuff removed and see what they say.

Haha! I was thinking the same. Take it with just the headers on, and they'll be like WTF.. why's it so loud? They look at the exhaust, and it's just the headers! :rolling:

stvdman

Established Member
I tell ya what FORD, Ill do it. Buy my car for original purchase price and sell me a 2008 GT500 at COST!

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
KnightHawks97 said:
So basically they were wanting to "rent" your 2003 Mustang SVT Cobra for 10 days for $100?

lol you can't even get the econobox rental cars for that cheap!

Yeah, but they were generously offering me the use of a Taurus! Hard decision :lol:

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Euphoric One said:
Stupid Ford...trying to increase the quality of their vehicles and get feedback from customers!!

No, I applaud Ford for trying to increase the quality of their vehicles and get feedback from customers. But, the quid pro quo was NOT an offer I couldn't refuse.

Somebody at Ford didn't think this thing through very well.....

If you want more information, visit:

http://www.ford.com/go/IUVP

Note the part:

"The following vehicle emission tests:

Tailpipe emission test - Simulates driving on the road, emissions are collected and analyzed. Vehicles undergoing tailpipe testing, only, are likely to be needed for a week and are likely to accrue no more than 50 miles.

Evaporative emission test - Measures emissions released while vehicle is parked. Far fewer vehicles are needed for evaporative emissions testing. These vehicles will be needed for two weeks and will likely accrue approximately 50 miles."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread