Tundra "Most American" Pickup

ff500

Established Member
I saw a commercial last night where Toyota is claiming to be the most american made pickup, also claiming to be about $5000 cheaper to own than an F150. I thought that to be an interesting ad campaign by Toyota especially if its true. I wonder if this will effect F150 sales.

Satyr

Established Member
1/7 the sales of the F-series? I don't think Ford has to worry about Toyota. GMC has been making some really nice trucks, though.

THE_STIG

Established Member
As long as Ford has the F-Series they don't have anything to worry about. No competitor has made a truck that can truly go head to head with it on sales. Theres a reason it has been America's best selling vehicle for 28 years. Toyota is just trying to market its trucks.

Last edited:

THE_STIG

Established Member
I'll add this in, I do construction and if you go to any job site you will only see two vehicles there, Ford F-Series or GMC Vans. You will never see a toyota pick-up, they are chick trucks that aren't intended for abuse.

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
interesting ad, even if the F-series was made in Japan i would still consider the truck to be more american than that beached whale they call a tundra...

Down with the Titan too! those trucks didnt sell for crap, i drove one a month ago and couldnt believe how cheap and every part inside of it was falling apart and it had a nasty exhaust leak from the manifolds. Only had 88k too..

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
The 5.7L Tundra has had a towing capacity over 10,000lbs since '07.

Might want to double check that, they may have a class IV hitch but toyota's site lists the maximum towing capacity at 8100LBS. It could probably pull 10K but stopping it and cornering is another thing, even if it could I wouldn't want to. I've pulled loads with 1/2 ton trucks and the only one that I think tows well is the chevy's but I haven't driven or towed with one of the new F150's but did tow with a 06 F150 5.4L and it sucked, that thing doesn't have the power to get out of its own way empty let alone with a trailer behind it. I was slowing down on hill with a empty 700lbs landscaping 6x12 trailer behind it.

Give me a 3/4 or 1 ton with a diesel. I can tow a 10000lbs load with my powerstroke and forget its back there.

Check out this link. Check out the GVWR of it compared to the Chevy and Ford too. Thanks but no thanks...

http://www.toyota.com/compare/?modelCode=tundra#h_overview

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
factual, the tundra is the more "american" truck because it has more parts produced and assembly work taking place in the states.
they fail to mention that their assembly plants do NOT have unions.

sixt5

Established Member
interesting ad, even if the F-series was made in Japan i would still consider the truck to be more american than that beached whale they call a tundra...

Down with the Titan too! those trucks didnt sell for crap, i drove one a month ago and couldnt believe how cheap and every part inside of it was falling apart and it had a nasty exhaust leak from the manifolds. Only had 88k too..

those titans have some power! i had one pull on me at highway speed. 4x4 cre cab and im 2wd rcsb with slight mods.

rkomo

Herro, Mr. Itabashi here
Established Member
I saw a commercial last night where Toyota is claiming to be the most american made pickup, also claiming to be about $5000 cheaper to own than an F150. I thought that to be an interesting ad campaign by Toyota especially if its true. I wonder if this will effect F150 sales.

Yeah so, but does the $MONEY$ stay here in the U.S. when you purchase a Toyota pickup? NO - your money goes to a foreign entity overseas & that's what a lot of people here fail to grasp...

ff500

Established Member
Yeah so, but does the $MONEY$ stay here in the U.S. when you purchase a Toyota pickup? NO - your money goes to a foreign entity overseas & that's what a lot of people here fail to grasp...

Agreed! And that is why I would never buy a foreign car. The profits go back to thier Countries to fund their health care, schools, retirement and so on.

I thought it was an interesting commercial and made me think for a few minutes. Has anyone else seen the ad?

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member

Grrr.

This argument always annoys the shit out of me. It's shallow and ignorant. I'll just let others do the talking below, since I'm tired of it:

Midway through the last century an educator and communications theorist named Herbert Marshall McLuhan helped to popularize the concept of "the global village." He was talking about the ways in which communications technologies have blurred borders and shortened distances between places and peoples, in effect making planet Earth seem smaller than it actually is.

He probably couldn’t have guessed the extent to which global communications would lead to global banking and global manufacturing, and even global service. Calls to your bank or cable company, for instance, just might be answered by someone in another country and time zone.

Dealing with companies that are headquartered offshore can seem equally confusing.

Toyota, for instance, is known as a Japanese company. Or is that definition a bit too simplistic? The question is appropriate because Toyota has financial, sales, production and headquarters facilities almost everywhere it does business.

"So what," you say, "Toyota’s profits get sent back to the home office in Japan.

Well, that’s partly correct. But here’s a quick look at some interesting facts.

Consider that Toyota’s direct investment in the U.S. so far totals $17.08 billion. Right now, as this is written, 36,632 people are directly employed by Toyota, and nearly 400,000 other people are employed in what are called "spin-off jobs" – jobs that were created as a result of spending generated by Toyota’s direct employees, dealers and suppliers.

We have pretty much been in a constant expansion mode in the U.S. for more than 20 years, with plants in California, Kentucky, Alabama, Tennessee, Texas, Mississippi, West Virginia and Indiana, an elaborate proving ground in Arizona and a new technical center in Michigan.

Our Canada and Mexico operations have significant impact in the U.S. since they get many parts from U.S. suppliers. And we are always retooling our own plants for model changes.

Here’s my point: Our U.S. spending never stops.

For 2007, the last year for which numbers currently are available, we assembled 1.3 million vehicles in North America. And I’m not talking about production lines that assemble parts made offshore. Current domestic content for vehicles built in the U.S. and Canada averages about 68% and in some vehicles – our Sienna, for instance - it’s as high as 85%.

So money is spent here for parts and components that are bought from domestic suppliers. Those parts and components are used here to build vehicles that are sold here, and the people that build them are paid wages that they spend here and bank here.

And what of the profit that goes to Japan? Some of it goes to shareholders as dividends. A lot of it is plowed back into the business to build plants and equipment, and to conduct the research and development that is so essential as we develop products like plug-in hybrids and hydrogen fuel-cell vehicles. Eventually these advanced technologies and products will come back to the U.S. in the form of new, improved vehicles.

Toyota has a base but it is legitimately a global company, sourced from Wikipedia:

"Toyota has manufacturing or assembly plants in Japan, Australia, India, Canada, Indonesia, Poland, South Africa, Turkey, the United Kingdom, the United States, France, Brazil, Portugal, and more recently Pakistan, Argentina, Czech Republic, Mexico, Malaysia, Thailand, China, Vietnam, Venezuela, the Philippines, and Russia."

GM is also a legitimate global company. The following is a picture of countries with General Motors factories:

400px-World_locations_of_General_Motors_factories.PNG

The point of the two examples is that associating such large corporations with nationalities is just plain silliness and a pathetic grab at nationalism. They are global companies and their money goes everywhere not only Japan or US. Unless you know exactly how much money is distributed to each country or their entire financial distribution, it is ignorant to assume it all goes to one place.

There is no such thing as a single, global company as a legal entity. What Toyota has is a global group of companies - the parent being in Japan, and then a string of subsidiary manufacturing, R&D, and finance companies all over the world. GM does the same thing - a vast, complex network of companies. In the UK alone it has a group company structure.

The profit made by any one subsidiary usually stays where it is for future investment and growth in that subsidiary, and corporation tax is paid to the taxing jurisdiction(s) located within the country where that subsidiary is located. Profit itself can only be extracted via dividend from post-tax profit, but that then becomes taxable income in the country where the parent company is located, subject to any group relief provisions.

Bottomline is, Toyota, JUST LIKE Ford and GM, are global corporations who neither answer to, nor send money to, any one national entity. As a matter of fact, Ford cars are practically considered domestic respectively in England and Australia especially since there are so many models specific only to each region. And each region keeps their respective revenues in order to further their interests in that region, with the exception of profit-shares that go to shareholders that CAN BE FROM ANY COUNTRY INCLUDING THE USA.

Last edited:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Might want to double check that, they may have a class IV hitch but toyota's site lists the maximum towing capacity at 8100LBS. It could probably pull 10K but stopping it and cornering is another thing, even if it could I wouldn't want to. I've pulled loads with 1/2 ton trucks and the only one that I think tows well is the chevy's but I haven't driven or towed with one of the new F150's but did tow with a 06 F150 5.4L and it sucked, that thing doesn't have the power to get out of its own way empty let alone with a trailer behind it. I was slowing down on hill with a empty 700lbs landscaping 6x12 trailer behind it.

Give me a 3/4 or 1 ton with a diesel. I can tow a 10000lbs load with my powerstroke and forget its back there.

Check out this link. Check out the GVWR of it compared to the Chevy and Ford too. Thanks but no thanks...

Toyota Side-by-Side Comparison

No, you might want to check again. The towing capacity of the 4.6L is 8200 lbs. The towing capacity of the 5.7L is 10,100 lbs. Some of the model configurations for 2011 dropped below 10,000 lbs into the 9500-9800 lb range due to new towing capacity standards that all companies will have to go by. Toyota started doing it this year while Ford and Chevy won't until probably 2013.

Of course a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel is going to out haul/tow a 1/2 ton gas truck. That's not the point.

Users who are viewing this thread