Another reason I hate dealerships

alex3610

Established Member
Just wanted to vent about how much dealers suck as a general rule. Still shopping for a used coyote car, and came across a few up in northern VA. A few were pretty decently priced so I took a ride to check a few out. Eventually found one that I wouldn't mind owning, so I braced myself for the nonsense between the salesmen & managers. I'll try to keep this relatively short:
I ask to see the out the door price, and not only is there a ridiculous $599 "dealer fee" (don't ever remember seeing them when I bought cars in NJ or PA), but also a $1500 "reconditioning fee". So while I was hoping to get some money OFF the asking price, I'm already $2100 above what was advertised. I ask the sales woman what exactly the dealer fee covers, and she said titling, registration and "things of that nature". I told her no problem, give me the paper work, I'm on shift work I have plenty of days off, I'll go to the DMV myself for $599 and do it myself. You can imagine the response that got. I think she realized she was in over her head and she called in the scummy used car manager to explain to me the "reconditioning fee". He says, "Man I have put a LOT of work into that car to get it where it is. Tires, some paint, etc."
I told him I wasn't interested in the reconditioning option, so please take it off. He of course laughed and told me, "Well, that's impossible, that's all part of the car now!" I raised my voice and said, "EXACTLY, which is why it should be part of the price!" I went on to explain that what they were doing boils down to bait and switch advertising, it would be like a pizza place advertising a pizza for $5, but when you get there you find out that the sauce and cheese are $5 extra, and they have already made the pizza. Goes without saying I left there quickly and without a car. :fm:

Oh btw this was Ted Britt in Chantilly VA.

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
states have a DOC. Fee. here in pa, the state sets the max amount you can charge for that fee. Other states (like florida) have no limit.

ex. I was working on purchasing a vehicle from a dealer in florida for my dealer, they tried to charge me a $899 doc fee. it was funny.

Pa has a $110 doc fee. which I think is plenty fair for what its used for. Notary, fed-exing paperwork to the bank, new car stickers and PDI (pre delivery inspection) ect.

Last edited:

Never_Enough

Established Member
Sadly, that is common practice all over the US. They pull that dealer fee bs up here too. I have never paid it & never will. I've walked out more than once over dealer fees ranging from $199 to $599. I don't NEED to buy your car.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
I was messing around in Colorado Springs one day and found this hoopty 80's Cadillac on 13 inch wires. Well this hillbilly thought it would be funny to buy. Negotiated them down to 650 bucks. Had cash on me and by the time they tried to tack all their garbage on it was going to be 2800 dollars. Wouldn't budge on the dealership fees, titling fees (I'm from out of state) and detailing fee, and the car had not been detailed, the drivers window was down and wouldn't go up. They got pissy when it came to these stupid fees an when I said I would buy my ghetto cruiser off craigslist.

tistan

Established Member
I went 2 hours away last year to buy an Explorer for my wife. The dealer had a price on autotrader for around $17 grand. We went to look at it and it had scratches that were touched up and interior had some scratches. We drove it and it drove good so we decided we were going to buy it. He hands me this piece of paper to read over while he evaluates my our trade in. It was $2400 worth of reconditioning added to the price of the vehicle. They charged $1000 for a $400 set of futura tires, $200 for detailing, $200 for paint touchup, $500 for new shocks on a car with 40k miles, and there were a couple other things I can't remember. They had already taken my wifes car for a test ride so I am stuck there and I am fuming. When he got back I told him to give my keys back that we were leaving. The manager came and asked what the problem was I explained to him that I don't start a negotiation from a position so far in his favor that I can do nothing but lose. He kept trying to sell me this car and wouldn't give my keys back. He asked again what can I do to make it right, and I kind of lost it. I told him he could give my ****ing keys before I break his nose for all my time he wasted. He must have realized I was pretty mad because I got my keys back after that. When we got back in the car my wife told me how many shades of red my face was showing and of course that I was very rude to them. That dealer was Stokes Honda of Charleston. When I got home I looked them up and they had a horrible reputation. I will look it up before I make the trip next time.

Last edited:

Sick03Vert

Banned
I went 2 hours away last year to buy an Explorer for my wife. The dealer had a price on autotrader for around $17 grand. We went to look at it and it had scratches that were touched up and interior had some scratches. We drove it and it drove good so we decided we were going to buy it. He hands me this piece of paper to read over while he evaluates my our trade in. It was $2400 worth of reconditioning added to the price of the vehicle. They charged $1000 for a $400 set of futura tires, $200 for detailing, $200 for paint touchup, $500 for new shocks on a car with 40k miles, and there were a couple other things I can't remember. They had already taken my wifes car for a test ride so I am stuck there and I am fuming. When he got back I told him to give my keys back that we were leaving. The manager came and asked what the problem was I explained to him that I don't start a negotiation from a position so far in his favor that I can do nothing but lose. He kept trying to sell me this car and wouldn't give my keys back. He asked again what can I do to make it right, and I kind of lost it. I told him he could give my ****ing keys before I break his nose for all my time he wasted. He must have realized I was pretty mad because I got my keys back after that. When we got back in the car my wife told me how many shades of red my face was showing and of course that I was very rude to them. That dealer was Stokes Honda of Charleston. When I got home I looked them up and they had a horrible reputation. I will look it up before I make the trip next time.

Devil's advocate here.

The reason you were looking at $1k for the tires is simple. $400 for the tires, $200 for mount and balance, $400 profit. Or there about.

As for shocks on a 40k car, I've seen cars beat to shit at less mileage than that. You should have checked the shocks to see if they were, indeed, new. Unfortunately, not everyone takes care of their cars.

So, $1500 there plus I'm guessing PDI charges and maybe other reconditioning. Well, that adds $2k to the price. So if that's too much, you have two options:

1. Negotiate it down to where you need to be.
2. Leave. The option you took.

A dealer HAS to make money on the cars they sell. If they send it into the shop for a repaint, they have to make that money back plus profit. If that puts it out of your price range, you are free to go somewhere else and buy one with more rock chips, etc. that fits your payment needs better. :shrug:

All this said, I HATE dealerships and can't wait to get out of the business. It's the shadiest industry I've ever worked in. :mj:

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
also, you drove 2hrs without talking to the dealer first? I always call ahead to get a feel for the type of dealer it is and get a ballpark trade with me sending pics and vin of my car. Then talk about OTD price. Then I hit the road if they dont seem like scumbags, etc.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
Devil's advocate here.

The reason you were looking at $1k for the tires is simple. $400 for the tires, $200 for mount and balance, $400 profit. Or there about.

As for shocks on a 40k car, I've seen cars beat to shit at less mileage than that. You should have checked the shocks to see if they were, indeed, new. Unfortunately, not everyone takes care of their cars.

So, $1500 there plus I'm guessing PDI charges and maybe other reconditioning. Well, that adds $2k to the price. So if that's too much, you have two options:

A dealer HAS to make money on the cars they sell. If they send it into the shop for a repaint, they have to make that money back plus profit. If that puts it out of your price range, you are free to go somewhere else and buy one with more rock chips, etc. that fits your payment needs better. :shrug:

All this said, I HATE dealerships and can't wait to get out of the business. It's the shadiest industry I've ever worked in. :mj:

Your actually trying to justify this?

mrlrd1

Established Member
Devil's advocate here.

Like hell it does.

ALL reconditioning costs are to be included in the advertised price. Things like extended warranties, tax, title/processing fee, etc are added on and expected. You don't advertise a price and THEN add on the reconditioning costs, period. You don't lure a customer in with an advertised price and THEN attempt to charge them for your recon costs - at least a REPUTABLE dealer doesn't.

Also, to the OP, late model Explorers commonly have leaking rear shocks, even low mile examples.

tistan

Established Member
Devil's advocate here.

They advertised a price on Autotrader. It was price about $1k below comparable vehicles. I called the salesman before we went to make sure the vehicle was there. He could have saved me the trip by telling that wasn't the real price. To me it was false advertisement. By the time he added the fees in it was placed far above comparable vehicles.

$400 is what I could buy the tires from tire rack and they are making profit. Who gets $200 to mount and balance tires. I get it done at sears or Walmart for $60. They didn't send it out for paint, they took some kind of paint marker and filled in the scrapes. You could still see all the scrapes on the bumpers they were just the same color as the car now.

Dealer fees were not included in this $2400. They did list the dealer fee prices on autotrader, but I can't remember how much they were. We didn't even get far enough to discuss the dealer fees.

I don't need to negotiate lower payment on cars because I don't make payments. I will not negotiate with someone who tries shady shit like that dealer. I wasn't free to go somewhere else because he wouldn't give me my keys back when I asked.

Last edited:

tistan

Established Member
also, you drove 2hrs without talking to the dealer first? I always call ahead to get a feel for the type of dealer it is and get a ballpark trade with me sending pics and vin of my car. Then talk about OTD price. Then I hit the road if they dont seem like scumbags, etc.

I didn't ask about price because I assumed it was the advertised price. I didn't ask about trade in because if they didn't give me what I wanted I was just going to keep my wifes car and pay for the Explorer outright.

alex3610

Established Member
As others have pointed out, I'm sure the dealer has real costs associated with reconditioning a car, and, I realize that as a business they need to make a profit. That's not the issue, it's the false advertising that gets under my skin.

Teal Terminator

Established Member
Devil's advocate here.

I've worked at two large dealerships in the past and have some idea of what all is involved "behind the scenes." And yes you are right, they have to make a profit BUT... if they want return business (or any business at all for that matter) they also can't be shady.

I'm all good with them needing to get money back from putting tires on a car or touching up paint etc but the fact remains that should already be rolled into the cost of the car's asking price NOT rolled into the price after a purchase. That's just complete BS! And if they misjudged how much extra work the car was going to need before putting it on the lot well guess what, that's on them, they're just going to have to take a loss on that one or let it sit a little longer and hope the right buyer comes along.

OP, I'm glad you left and took your money elsewhere.

fireman02

Established Member
I've bought a lot of cars, trucks, & motorcycles over the years and have found the best way to deal with dealerships/salespeople is to tell them what your willing to pay out the door and stick to it. That way when they try all the BS that goes into the car buying experience, you can tell them "I don't care what you add, subtract, write down, etc.. I'm only paying X amount of $'s out the door." Also, use payment calculators like the one on Cars.com so you know exactly what your payment will be with a price, interest rate, term, and taxes so they can't pull the many different financing scams they have on you.

jbs$

Established Member
This past Thursday I purchased an Escalade form a local area Dealer. Friday morning I returned to the Dealership to give them the title on the Escalade that I was trading in. In the new one one, some of the controls and buttons were in different places and I could not readily locate the driver seat position memory button. Upon arrival, I pulled into their shinny, empty, three bay service department and ask for help. To my surprise, the Service Writer refused, he said I had to see sales. I then ask, if he would show me the correct button, I would set it my self. His reply,"I don't know anything about Cadillacs". Needless to say, I was and am highly pissed. As a new customer of less than 24 hours, a vehicle under full factory warranty and my check book, $70 large lighter all of the apologies that the Management and Owner offer, don't make me feel much better.

Sick03Vert

Banned
Your actually trying to justify this?

ABSOLUTELY NOT. I'm just trying to give an example of how the dealership thinks.

Dealerships are crooked as hell. Where I work, there's a lot price...and an internet price. About $3k difference between the window sticker (more) and internet price (less). How's that for shady? As soon as a car sells, it's part of my job to get the unit off the net before the customer has a chance to look it up.

Either way, even our LOWEST price is with "packs" that are basically straight profit charges included in the price of the vehicle. In our case, that's about $1k you pay for absolutely nothing at all.

Like I said, shady, and hell no, I am not defending the sharks.

alex3610

Established Member
Luckily I'm in a position where I can do that. This is a second car for me, and definitely not something I HAVE to have. I really feel for people that are in a time crunch to buy a car or just don't know any better, these guys are more than willing to take advantage.

HighCal

Established Member
They tried shoving the shaft with $450 window tint on me. But they offered $1,500 extended warranty that covers engine/drivetrain for 2 years. Didn't quite understand why so much for tint on 3 windows

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread