Another reason I hate dealerships

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Sounds like your average bait and switch.

They list it low to get you onto the lot, then throw in the extras to make their bonuses. They could sell the car at the listed price which should already include all the work they had to do to get the car back onto the lot and make profit, or they can try ti string you along with dealer fees and bs to make a little bonus, knowing at this point most people will not walk.

HighCal

Established Member
And another time I went in for motor mounts and they offered there 100 something point inspection before replacing the motor mounts, prick comes back after the test drive and says that it "definitely feels like something a little more serious" he highly recommended getting the transmission inspected because it felt like it was slipping and most likely needed to be replaced. I wasn't sure if he wanted me to bend over right then an there or after he shoved his $4k transmission up my ass

hoamskilet

Established Member
Yeah, there's not a whole lot I hate worse than haggling with dealers. Its about as much fun as smashing my toes with a hammer trying to get any kind of a real price out of them and I always leave with a nagging feeling I just got fisted when I leave with a car no matter how much I talked em down

Kiohtee

Established Member
My wife and I just bought a 2013 Kia Soul +. It was really a rather painless experience, especially seeing as how it was our first new car purchase. I don't feel we did too bad. We got it for under MSRP out the door from a dealership that I'm sure would have sold it without us.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Devil's advocate here.

The reason you were looking at $1k for the tires is simple. $400 for the tires, $200 for mount and balance, $400 profit. Or there about.

As for shocks on a 40k car, I've seen cars beat to shit at less mileage than that. You should have checked the shocks to see if they were, indeed, new. Unfortunately, not everyone takes care of their cars.

So, $1500 there plus I'm guessing PDI charges and maybe other reconditioning. Well, that adds $2k to the price. So if that's too much, you have two options:

1. Negotiate it down to where you need to be.
2. Leave. The option you took.

A dealer HAS to make money on the cars they sell. If they send it into the shop for a repaint, they have to make that money back plus profit. If that puts it out of your price range, you are free to go somewhere else and buy one with more rock chips, etc. that fits your payment needs better. :shrug:

All this said, I HATE dealerships and can't wait to get out of the business. It's the shadiest industry I've ever worked in. :mj:

You couldn't be any more wrong. That stuff should be included in the price of the car and not tacked on after. If it needs new tires, include it in the price before you throw it on the lot. People see a price and they expect to pay around there. Everyone understands there is some fees when buying it, but **** that. I would have laughed and walked out too.

Luckily the dealerships here didn't try that shit with me. They usually charge 80-100 to register the vehicle plus DMV fees, which is totally reasonable.

We realize dealerships need to make money, but when you see a price, that's basically what you should pay when it's on the lot.

jbs$

Established Member
HighCal, do not understand your question. Nothing to do with window tint. Also, all black platinum Escalades look the same.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
This was why I was very relieved to buy my mustang out of state. Didn't have to deal with any of the dealership bullshit fees. Got it for 27,250 in Texas and paid 2k in tax title and license fees back in AZ. No dealer BS involved

jbs$

Established Member
The only advise that I offer in buying a vehicle is this; focus on one number, the total drive out price. How the Dealer divides up the dollars is of little importance, as long as you are happy with your drive out cost.

Last edited:

HighCal

Established Member
HighCal, do not understand your question. Nothing to do with window tint. Also, all black platinum Escalades look the same.

I'm sorry man I miss understood. I thought they gave you a $70 lighter for your troubles. Didn't see you meant $ 70k lighter. The window tint was my experience, nothing to do with you. I went looking for a cobra a couple years back and they tinted the rear window and 2 quarter windows. Wanted $450 for that.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I'm sorry man I miss understood. I thought they gave you a $70 lighter for your troubles. Didn't see you meant $ 70k lighter. The window tint was my experience, nothing to do with you. I went looking for a cobra a couple years back and they tinted the rear window and 2 quarter windows. Wanted $450 for that.

In all fairness, a quality tint job can be expensive. Not that I'm trying to justify any kind of dealership shenanigans, because I'm not, but I know how some places are with their tinting (as far as skilled installers, materials, etc.).

Coiled03

Established Member
A dealer HAS to make money on the cars they sell.

Ummm.....no....they don't. Do you really think they make money on a car when it sits on their lot for 3 months because it's overpriced, and they ship it to auction?

alex3610

Established Member
Ummm.....no....they don't. Do you really think they make money on a car when it sits on their lot for 3 months because it's overpriced, and they ship it to auction?

I think they would like to make money on them all, but it doesn't always work out that way. They also occasionally make fairly obscene profits on some cars, where they killed the guy on the trade in and then are able to sell it at asking plus BS fees to some poor schmuck. At the end of the day they all go on the balance sheet and I would assume that they look at the overall profit rather than on the individual cars. That's my assumption at least.

YJSONLY

Established Member
I have a good one also. My mother and I went to look at a gmc terrain looked online and what not I knew what I could/should be able to get one for. They wanted sticker price... Taxes ,destination fee. Ok they surly would come down right? Haha $500 under Msrp. But they had a $1500 adm I asked him (me playing dumb) "hey what is this for" and I swear he told me "that's a little something for me". WTF needless to say I laughed as we was getting in the old car.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
I have a good one also. My mother and I went to look at a gmc terrain looked online and what not I knew what I could/should be able to get one for. They wanted sticker price... Taxes ,destination fee. Ok they surly would come down right? Haha $500 under Msrp. But they had a $1500 adm I asked him (me playing dumb) "hey what is this for" and I swear he told me "that's a little something for me". WTF needless to say I laughed as we was getting in the old car.

Can you post this again in English

LS2GTO

Established Member
Devil's advocate here.

The reason you were looking at $1k for the tires is simple. $400 for the tires, $200 for mount and balance

Devil's advocate here but $200 for mount and balance? It costs $13.99 for the average Joe to have his/her tire mounted and balanced, which comes out to 60 bux after taxes. I'm pretty sure a dealership like that would get a better deal.

So you mean $450 for tires mounted and balanced and $550 profit right?

Coiled03

Established Member
I think they would like to make money on them all, but it doesn't always work out that way. They also occasionally make fairly obscene profits on some cars, where they killed the guy on the trade in and then are able to sell it at asking plus BS fees to some poor schmuck. At the end of the day they all go on the balance sheet and I would assume that they look at the overall profit rather than on the individual cars. That's my assumption at least.

I agree, but the person I was quoting made it sound like the customer has to accept the fact that the dealer is required to make money on every sale.

That's simply not true.

Marc

Established Member
Bought my wife a new Elantra last year. Everything went well until a guy barges in the office and says to the salesman I am working with "Hey, you can't sell that car, I have it sold already"! (This just so happened to be the exact time we were negotiating the price.). I stood up, and said, "Sell the ****ing thing! I have another car we are looking at next door--which we were.). He stormed out after that and never heard from him again. I told the Salesman I was working with, "Nice try". lol But, after we negotiated the price I wanted (he had thought he was going to finance the car at 6.9%)...I dropped a check from my credit union on him (financed at .9%). If they think they are financing the car, typically they will give you a better deal since they think they can make the money up in finance charges down the road. I have so many stories about dealerships...

Wicked81

Established Member
Virginia documentation fees are not required by law, and anyone who tells you otherwise is ignorant or shady. Take your pick.

Users who are viewing this thread