CTS-V Vs. GT500 w/PP Drag Race

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW-qF_Xzjl4"]YouTube- Grudge Match: Cadillac CTS-V Coupe vs Shelby GT500[/nomedia]

That automatic sure does bust our balls. I do like the MPH the Shelby posts though. I wonder how much faster the Z28 will be than the CTS-V coupe.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Last edited:

bpmurr

Established Member
GT500 driver probably was grinding into second.

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
I thought this video would work well here...

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5KPl7p2c2o"]YouTube- video-2010-07-30-21-49-06[/nomedia]

2010 cts-v vs 2011 gt500 pp

Forgot to mention its not my car and both cars are stock.

SmirkNOS

It is what it is!
Established Member
Well. I personally think that's BS. If any body here has one of those Cadillacs please let me know. I like to match it. I think those guys at Car and driver and those mags suck at driving plus they for some reason benefit BMW And others and have always hate Ford and our product. That's my opinion

BigDan

Established Member
C&D already ran better times like to 60 in 4.1 and the 1/4 in 12.4 in the 2011. I guess they fired the old quicker test driver and gave us this looser.

WOW Edmunds just ripped off a [email protected] with the manual coupe

Here's a youtube link. How can I make it play in this post?

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USaqtXPKsO8&playnext=1&videos=hlqyg6MhW0o&feature=sub"]YouTube- 2011 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe Track Test[/nomedia]

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I think those guys at Car and driver and those mags suck at driving plus they for some reason benefit BMW And others and have always hate Ford and our product. That's my opinion

If they (C&D) suck at driving............they drove both cars, same day, same time, same test conditions, doesn't that mean that both times on both cars "sucked" equally? Maybe? I would guess that Edmunds and the other magazines that test cars could have also gotten better times out of this auto trans. Caddy? and then the test as linked above with a manual trans.

But yes, there does seem to be some bias, especially when the GT500 and/or Ford is involved. I have noticed this bias especially since the Challenger and Camaro have come on the scene. :read:

R

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
But yes, there does seem to be some bias, especially when the GT500 and/or Ford is involved. I have noticed this bias especially since the Challenger and Camaro have come on the scene. :read:

R

I love this stuff. The Chevy guys say the exact opposite. Always entertains me. The only bias I tend to see is teh BMW M bias. No matter how great other cars are, no matter how much better numbers they put up, the BMW M always wins on some intangibles (you know, the stuff a reader can't argue unless they happen to own all three of the expensive cars in a comparison).

Anyhow, as myself and others have been saying, the CTS-V (sedan and coupe) put up some impressive numbers and they do so consistantly. I think this powertrain in the hands of Camaro drivers will put up even better numbers (I don't look at Caddy owners as drag racers, I just can't). It should make things fun and interesting for sure. After all, competition improves the breed!

Formula51

Established Member
Whats the curb weight of the CTS-V ? Nice job GM

I think the latest article I read had the CTS-V Coupe at right around 4,250lbs.

I also found it interesting that the manual has 3.73 gears, but the auto only has 3.23 gears (for mileage I assume). I wonder what 3.73's would do in the auto? I haven't looked at the gearing, but it might be nice. Again, I look at this as something you would see a Camaro Z28 owner do before/much more often than a Caddy driver.

skyhighsd

Established Member
Not surprised, I know a guy that has one that will put a hurting on a lot of cars on this forum.

tktlwyr

Established Member
I have a friend in Dallas who has one. I got to drive it last October when I was visiting. All I kept thinking when I was driving it was that it would blow my then new, 2010 GT500's doors off. They are that FAST, handle and brake well, too!

De500

Established Member
I had an 09 and 2010 V . . .09 was a 6 spd and 10 was an auto. It is very quick but the 500 is much more fun to drive . . . .the V has a great ride and the mag shocks are so good I felt too comfortable . . .I was disconnected form the speed. I will pick one up in a few years when my back starts to hurt. I liked it and thought it was put together much better than the previous gen.

The V coupe should beat the sedan in more than a few areas but I cannot get past the rear of the car.

SicShelby09

Banned
I could run circles around both those cars in the quarter mile when my 09 was stock. Bone stock on stock tires I was able to pull a 12.39@115 in 90* heat. Those guys SUCK. I was never able to make a pass in like 60*. I'll bet I had 12.2 or better i could have pulled.

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I love this stuff. The Chevy guys say the exact opposite. Always entertains me. The only bias I tend to see is teh BMW M bias. No matter how great other cars are, no matter how much better numbers they put up, the BMW M always wins on some intangibles (you know, the stuff a reader can't argue unless they happen to own all three of the expensive cars in a comparison).

Anyhow, as myself and others have been saying, the CTS-V (sedan and coupe) put up some impressive numbers and they do so consistantly. I think this powertrain in the hands of Camaro drivers will put up even better numbers (I don't look at Caddy owners as drag racers, I just can't). It should make things fun and interesting for sure. After all, competition improves the breed!

The specifics of this bias that I can remember started when the 2000 Cobra R was put against the 2001 Z06 back in 2001. It was the same way with the 1995 Cobra R against the Z/28 in that era. "It is unfair pitting a street legal race car against a full street car", that was the comment by the Camaro crowd (they did not mention the 1LE Camaro’s). The Z06 guys and magazine editors picked apart the 00R because it was "a Mustang". When the 03 Cobra came along to stand up to the Z06, same issues..........."it's a Mustang". I agree with the "it's a Mustang" because it is, BUT, give some credit to those Mustangs that were able to compete, and hold their own against cars with much more advanced/current technology, like the premier American Sports Car, and not the lesser Corvettes, but instead the top end performance offering.

Then came the Challenger SRT-8 in 2008, 425 horse, all automatics. For the most part, the only "pony car" that was tested on a regular basis against the Challenger SRT-8 was the 300 horse Mustang GT. The 500 horse GT500 would get a mention in the article, but no side-by-side tests, why you might ask???? Because the GT500 was old news and the Challenger was the "hype". They couldn't have the "old news” Mustang (GT500) running 1+ seconds faster than the new hype Challenger, so they chose the lesser model Mustang as Ford test comparison.

Then the current Camaro SS, again a 425 horse pony car, it was the hype. The Challenger was older news (and heavier) so the Camaro was the winner between these two, BUT again very few side-by-sides with the "then" 540 horse GT500. Instead, most tests again were done with the lower level Mustang GT. The question again.................why?? Well again, the GT500 was old news, the Camaro SS was the hype, and the 540 horse car would have made the 425 horse Camaro SS look like granny car.

Now, finally GM is stepping up and offering something that is matching the GT500 power level more closely. More of the magazine tests are now finally going to include the GT500 on a regular basis without embarrassing the other car in the test, and the tests are getting exciting.

I would say to the Camaro guys, look back through the magazine tests from recent history and examine how many GT500 (500, 540 or 550 horse) Mustangs have been tested against their 425/426 Camaro SS’s, they will find that the number is almost non-existent. Their Camaro SS has been tested against the Mustang GT in about every test that was published.

So, in reality, the top dog offerings from Chevy and Dodge have, for the most part been tested by the magazines against the lesser offering in the Mustang stable, but as I previously mentioned, the “hype” is the big deal to the magazines, and if there is something out there that will make the hype look bad, it is relegated to a “mention” in the article.

R

Users who are viewing this thread