Maxing out the Whipple 2.9

rodfarva

Established Member
For those of you that saw my previous post, I've been working hard to get the most out of my Whipple 2.9 setup on my 2010 GT500.

My setup consists of:

Stock long block and cams
Whipple 2.9L w/ 2nd generation rotors and Crusher plenum
Whipple 123mm MAF and CAI
L&M Dual 66mm Throttle Body
Dynatech 1 7/8" Longtube headers w/ 3" collectors
Dynatech 3" off-road X-pipe
Magnaflow Magnapack 3" catback exhaust
Innovators West 10% Overdrive Harmonic Balancer
72lb Fuel Injectors
Kenne Bell Dual BAP
NGK TR6 plugs gapped at 0.030"
Snow Performance Meth/water injection
Afco Dual Fan/Dual Pass Heat Exchanger
3.73 gears
DSS 1-piece aluminum driveshaft
too many other suspension/misc. mods to list

A couple of weeks ago I posted that I had made 753 RWHP @6400rpm and 760 RWTQ @3900 rpm with a 3" upper pulley and a 93/Torco custom tune at 21psi boost. This was on a Mustang Dyno, that I suspect is set up to give numbers similar to Dynojet numbers. I also posted that we were working up a C16 tune with a 2.7" upper pulley at 24 psi boost that made 830 RWTQ but we had to abort the run at 5500 due to ignition breakup and only saw 776 RWHP because of that. The ignition breakup was later determined to be caused by the N2MB WOT box that I had installed recently.

Anyway, I got the car back on the dyno today. On the C16 tune, the car made 793 RWHP @6250rpm and 818 RWTQ at 4200rpm at 23-24psi. It seemed that the HP curve leveled off, which is something that these motors don't do. Normally, peak horsepower with these motors is as high as one dare rev it. The ignition breakup was gone. AFRs were good, and the car wasn't maxing out the current fuel system. The 123mm MAF seemed to do the trick, as MAF voltages were not pegging. IAT2s didn't go over 115. I suspect that the supercharger belt may have started to slip slightly. I also wonder if it would have continued to make more power with an L&M 72mm Dual TB or a Whipple Monoblade.

While continuing to tempt fate with the stock longblock, we worked up one last tune. We kept the 2.7" upper pulley and the C16, but we added a 75hp shot of nitrous via a ZEX wet system. The window switch was set to spray from 3200 to 6000 which yielded only 846 RWHP at 6000rpm, but a whopping 978 RWTQ at 3700. :rockon:The problem with this run was apparently that amount of torque combined with Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires is not conducive to maintaining traction with the dyno rollers. :shrug:

Even without the nitrous, I think that there is still some more power to be had from the Whipple 2.9. I will likely go back and install a slightly shorter blower belt or install an auxillary tensioner. I will also likely try a larger throttle body. I've contemplated removing the lower intake and having it ported and installing a VTS intercooler with heat shields. I would like to have a built motor on standby before I go much further, as the stock internals in mine are already near their limit. It's unlikely that I would go to the trouble of changing cams or removing the heads to port them without also changing up the shortblock and stepping up to a larger blower.

Last edited:

rodfarva

Established Member
Sorry that the above post turned out to be a little long. I'm gonna be down at NMRA in Bowling Green this weekend, and I hope that I'll get to meet some guys from here. I've had to bust my ass to get the car back together after the LCA relocation bracket carnage 2 weeks ago, which wouldn't have been possible without the speedy shipping and excellent customer service from the guys at Lethal.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Should change threat topic to "maxing out the stock block"
Those are some great number!

Coonsnake

Established Member
rodfarva will you be racing the car at bowling green? your numbers are slightly higher than mine and i would like to see how yours does

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
thanks for the info.

i'm curious to see how the larger TB does

Quade

Old Man.
Established Member
Holy Crap man!!! That thing is STOUT. Where are you located at in KY. and who did you use to tune that beast? There is 4 or 5 of us on here from KY now.

rodfarva

Established Member
rodfarva will you be racing the car at bowling green? your numbers are slightly higher than mine and i would like to see how yours does

I've not yet decided if I'm gonna run it or not. For one thing, I don't have a cage yet. Also, the only other time I had it at the track was 2 weeks ago when I bent the LCA relocation bracket and shredded the slick. Ok, get ready for a lot of excuses, but this was the first time I've drag raced in 12 years, and I only raced a couple of times back then. I was only starting to figure out how to launch the car a couple of weeks ago. I was only getting 1.8 60fts, granny shifting, and the ignition was still breaking up like crazy and the best I could muster was 7.30s in the 1/8th on the 21 psi 93/torco tune. As an encouraging note, it did trap 105 on one pass, even with the ignition breakup and 90 degree heat. I suspect that the 60ft time from the last pass would have been much better had the bracket not bent and caused me to nearly hit the wall. I've now got a set of Hoosier Drag Radials, and I'm not sure how the car is gonna like to launch on them. The car still needs some suspension tweaking and a ton of driver mod.;-)

Holy Crap man!!! That thing is STOUT. Where are you located at in KY. and who did you use to tune that beast? There is 4 or 5 of us on here from KY now.

I'm in the Louisville area. Charles Gordon over in Corydon, IN does my tuning.

RedfireWhipple

Established Member
Rodfarva..

First off-- damn man, that's making some wheaties.

On the concern of why the numbers on the changes were not as much as you maybe were looking for HP wise-- just curious-- what was the duty cycle on your injectors?? Wondering if maybe it's possible you are getting close to injectors/fuel system being maxed out at the higher RPM levels??

BigDan

Established Member
Try upgrading to L&M bigger dual 72mm TB like all twin screw owners should be doing anyways.

LM72MMTB.jpg

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Should change thread topic to "maxing out the stock block"
After reading the initial post my mind quietly whispered the exact same words you typed into your keyboard.

When I read your post my mind laughed at itself.

Freaky shit.

Anyhoo, when I saw the numbers farva is pumping I couldn't help but think one word.

Rods!!

Last edited:

rodfarva

Established Member
Rodfarva..

First off-- damn man, that's making some wheaties.

On the concern of why the numbers on the changes were not as much as you maybe were looking for HP wise-- just curious-- what was the duty cycle on your injectors?? Wondering if maybe it's possible you are getting close to injectors/fuel system being maxed out at the higher RPM levels??

87% max

You get the Hoosier quick time pros?

Hoosier D.O.T. Drag Radials

Try upgrading to L&M bigger dual 72mm TB like all twin screw owners should be doing anyways.

LM72MMTB.jpg

I plan on it.

After reading the initial post my mind quietly whispered the exact same word you typed into your keyboard.

When I read your post my mind laughed at itself.

Freaky shit.

Anyhoo, when I saw the numbers farva is pumping I couldn't help but think one word.

Rods!!

Agreed!!!

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
What does your bottom end consist of. I know you said stock block, but I'm guessing you have an upgraded rotating assembly right??

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
christ man, those are some BIG numbers! with that kind of power, i definitely wouldn't be spinning that thing faster than stock. those rods can't be having fun, lol.
What does your bottom end consist of. I know you said stock block, but I'm guessing you have an upgraded rotating assembly right??
stock longbock means stock pistons, rods, crank, and heads.

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
A/f

Im just curious as to how hard your leaning on it timing wise...what timing you running and what kinda A/F Ratio you seeing from 3500 to Redline?

Users who are viewing this thread