Maxing out the Whipple 2.9

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Nice numbers for sure. What year GT500 drive train did you swap in? Stock long block?
The motor is an '07, it has about 10k miles on it, stock longblock.

Future plans are a built iron shortblock, cams, and a bigger SC.

What's your fuel setup? Id1000s and a bap?
Yes, ID1000's and a bap. My pumps hit 100 duty cycle at the end of the 824 run, so I'm going to upgrade the line and filter and see if that fixes it. The ID1000's drive like stock, I'm very happy with it. I just wish I could afford to drive around everyday on 100 octane. It's a lot of fun.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
The motor is an '07, it has about 10k miles on it, stock longblock.

Future plans are a built iron shortblock, cams, and a bigger SC.

That's awesome. Is the future plans of a built short block because you are going for even more power? or because you're afraid of how long the stock long block is going to stay together?

BTW what was your injector duty cycle? I love the ID 1000s myself, run them in the Cobra and even my tiny little 1.6 liter turbo'd Honda. It too drives like stock on them.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
That's awesome. Is the future plans of a built short block because you are going for even more power? or because you're afraid of how long the stock long block is going to stay together?

BTW what was your injector duty cycle? I love the ID 1000s myself, run them in the Cobra and even my tiny little 1.6 liter turbo'd Honda. It too drives like stock on them.

I would like to make more power sure, but the biggest reason is to spin it to a higher RPM to use all the power up top, especially if i run some fairly healthy cams -and have it reliable. I don't like having the worry in the back of my mind of whether I'm going to put a rod through the side of the block or not every time I get on it.

I think the ID1000's were at 70%.

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I would like to make more power sure, but the biggest reason is to spin it to a higher RPM to use all the power up top, especially if i run some fairly healthy cams -and have it reliable. I don't like having the worry in the back of my mind of whether I'm going to put a rod through the side of the block or not every time I get on it.

I think the ID1000's were at 70%.

Sounds like a good plan. What are you spinning it to now?

staffcurtis

Established Member
I noticed on your dyno sheet that the power started to trail off at about 6300 rpms. Do you think you hit the limit of the whipple 2.9, or the fuel pump?

Very impressive setup!

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I noticed on your dyno sheet that the power started to trail off at about 6300 rpms. Do you think you hit the limit of the whipple 2.9, or the fuel pump?

Very impressive setup!

It could be a few things, or things combined. My pump hit 100% at about that RPM, but the pressure never dropped. I could have just hit the limit of the 2.9 and at this altitude there just wasn't anymore airflow to be had. Or I think the belt could have started to slip slightly. We didn't hear anything, but there was a bit of belt dust in a couple spots after those pulls. It could have been minimal contribution of each which combined led to the torque falling off.

I'm planning a fuel line upgrade, and an aux idler. That should help with two of the potential problems.

Users who are viewing this thread