2012 Shelby Gt500 Order says Material hold??

03Bite

Established Member
I was wondering if anyone else is having problems finding out when there 2012 Shelby is being built. Talked to my dealer a few times now and all he can find on the current status is MATERIAL HOLD. I have a bad feeling with things going badly in Japan that this might not be good for Ford. If anyone has info let me know. Thanks!

CAPTAIN JACK

Established Member
recaro seats? spoke with Ford and they indicated that they are looking to build " specialty " stangs, we delivered 3 Boss 302's last month. Paint may be an issue depending on what color you ordered...ie Japan

Genius

Established Member
I was wondering if anyone else is having problems finding out when there 2012 Shelby is being built. Talked to my dealer a few times now and all he can find on the current status is MATERIAL HOLD. I have a bad feeling with things going badly in Japan that this might not be good for Ford. If anyone has info let me know. Thanks!

Yeah, I tried to order a GT500 Saturday, came back no build!
I'm tryin to find out why...now...
Gene

03Bite

Established Member
recaro seats? spoke with Ford and they indicated that they are looking to build " specialty " stangs, we delivered 3 Boss 302's last month. Paint may be an issue depending on what color you ordered...ie Japan

Well, I ordered Race Red so I don't know if that is one of the colors that is a problem or not. What a bummer. I wonder if I will ever get this car?? :??:

03Bite

Established Member
No I did not order the Recaro seats. Just a base gt500 with the car cover.:shrug:

barstoolman

Established Member
Well, I ordered Race Red so I don't know if that is one of the colors that is a problem or not. What a bummer. I wonder if I will ever get this car?? :??:

Race Red is definitely going to be a problem.........I just picked up a Race Red Boss and had trouble getting the touch up stick for it. Finally found one at a dealer but Race Red cars will not be coming through.

03Bite

Established Member
Well congrats on your Boss :beer: I just don't understand how Ford doesn't switch or have a contingency plan for a different supplier for parts or materials!!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
C&D said:
Ford reacted instantly to news of the failure. Our Boss 302 was collected and sent away for a tear-down and inspection. The Mustang line was shut down, and every brake assembly checked. Ford also reviewed its process to ensure incorrect attachment of the brake pedal arm to the master cylinder clevis rod end could not occur. We’re told no anomalies were found. And we haven’t seen anything awry on the Mustangs we’ve checked since.

I wonder if this has anything to do with it, I'm not sure what pedal assembly Ford is using on the GT's or Bosses (ever since the '11 cars had pedal issues and a subsequent TSB) and whether or not this shut down GT500 production regardless.

Why the Boss Mustang Failed Our Brake Test - Motor Trend Blog

Prodigy603

Established Member

I heard Ford was saying Japan was going to effect the paint production of Black on its trucks. Nothing about red, but that doesn't mean there isn't something else being delayed...obviously.

92 TYPHOON

Established Member
I heard Ford was saying Japan was going to effect the paint production of Black on its trucks. Nothing about red, but that doesn't mean there isn't something else being delayed...obviously.

I heard a couple weeks ago after the tsunami hit japan that theres a company there that produces a chemical used in fords black metallic that for obvious reasons will not be able to produce it. They later expanded it to red and a couple other colors I believe. This was from a reputable guy at a dealer.

03Bite

Established Member
I heard a couple weeks ago after the tsunami hit japan that theres a company there that produces a chemical used in fords black metallic that for obvious reasons will not be able to produce it. They later expanded it to red and a couple other colors I believe. This was from a reputable guy at a dealer.

Well this may be better news. It appears only reds with metallic in them were affected. Race Red is not one of them. :)

Issue 106

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
"Material Hold" pops up all of the time. It happened to the 2011's. It happened to the 2010's... just google it and you'll find someone in some random thread with this same question for virtually any model year. It's really no big deal. They're still building Mustangs, and yours will show up eventually.

PressurEngr

Established Member
my father in law ordered his last month and still no news on a delivery date or if it has even started being built.

lebeljd

Established Member
I ordered my GT500 on 4/20, Race Red with SVTPP and EP. As others have posted, Ford did not mention red when they went public with the paint shortage issue. Hope that means no delay..

lebeljd

Established Member
I ordered my GT500 on 4/20, Race Red with SVTPP and EP. As others have posted, Ford did not mention red when they went public with the paint shortage issue. Hope that means no delay..

I called my dealer today. He said my order is also showing ON MATERIAL HOLD, but that is normal for any specialty vehicle like GT500 or Raptor. Once it's accepted into the order bank it will show HOLD for a while, probably at least until a VIN is assigned.

He also confirmed the Race Red color is not (currently) affected by pigment shortages from the plant in Japan that supplies the metallic pigment.

Users who are viewing this thread