Oil pressure gauge

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I want to add a sensor to my Aeroforce Interceptor dual gauge setup to monitor oil pressure.

Oil Pressure Sensor

Can someone provide a picture, or details as to where the sensor will tap into the 5.4L engine to read oil pressure. I've searched, but no useful information was found. The only information I found is that it's possibly near one of the exhaust manifolds.

Thanks in advance.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
When mine was put in, it was placed just after the oil pump and before the filter, from the look of it. I have an Autometer.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The proper placement would be in the exact location you describe, but need to see pics to map the install in my head before I begin.

Before the filter would allow me to know when the filter was becoming more restrictive, yes....I'm that anal about lubrication, but my oil posts suggests that. lol

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
you need to get npt fittings that allow you to tap into where the stock sensor near the filter is located.

you need a 1/4 tee and double male coupler as well as a 1/4 to 1/8 reducer for the aeroforce sensor.

copy?
f1127dab.jpg

fd8de605.jpg

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
I used a little bit of Teflon tape. Held it on the bottom of the threads so nothing would be exposed

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
No, just send me some amsoil now. Just kidding, glad I could help. Just added the slip lock and severe gear with my new diff cover

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I need a new diff cover. How would I convince Tob to send me one.....hmmm. lol

Why the Aeroforce isn't able to read the OEM sensor through the OBDII port is beyond me. Maybe the OEM sensor is on/off operation and not variable.

Last edited:

gr8snkbite

Established Member
I need a new diff cover. How would I convince Tob to send me one.....hmmm. lol

Why the Aeroforce isn't able to read the OEM sensor through the OBDII port is beyond me. Maybe the OEM sensor is on/off operation and not variable.

The sensors are plugged separately into the back of the Gage. Not read thru OBD. Then you have to input the conversion formula to read psi.

6-Speed

Established Member
Beast:
Please post your oil pressure results preferably at different RPMs. Do you know the normal oil pressure or bypass pressure for the GT500 motor?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The sensors are plugged separately into the back of the Gage. Not read thru OBD. Then you have to input the conversion formula to read psi.

Yes, I understand that, as I do all my own install work. It just puzzles me why the factory gauge isn't capable of it.

Beast:
Please post your oil pressure results preferably at different RPMs. Do you know the normal oil pressure or bypass pressure for the GT500 motor?

I can do a detailed SCT Livelink datalog for you.

I'm also assuming the spring bypass pressure is around 80-85 PSI, since I have never seen pressures greater than 85 PSI no matter what RPM the car is at, and what temperature the oil is at.

Last edited:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Troy, as I understand it the factory viable is really an idiot light and doesn't have the range and increments that are needed to truly be recorded.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
It just puzzles me why the factory gauge isn't capable of it.
My understanding is that the factory uses a sending unit that makes the gauge little more than an idiot light. If you have as little as 5 psi of oil pressure, the gauge will read the same point on the gauge as it will at 80 psi. That's not real comforting. Ford did this some time in the late 80s. One mod a lot of the truck guys were doing was installing an earlier sending unit that had all the electronics to accurately read fuel pressure, but you still only had high and low marks that didn't give you the pressure you were running.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. I figured the OEM sensor was nothing more than an ON/OFF switch that didn't trigger until the pressure dropped below a specific PSI. Then the PCM would know to shut down the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread