Oil pressure gauge

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
The PCM will not shut off the motor! It will only throw a warning light....... Ask me how I know......$$$$$$$$$$$
Posted via Mobile Device

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The PCM will not shut off the motor! It will only throw a warning light....... Ask me how I know......$$$$$$$$$$$
Posted via Mobile Device

You would think that the PCM would shut down the engine to protect itself, I know others car do. Oh well, my assumption is fail...and I know how you know.

6-Speed

Established Member
The 2007 Mustang shop manual states the oil pressure for the 5.4L at 2000 RPM with the oil at normal operating temperature is 40 to 60 psi. I could not find the spec oil bypass relief pressure.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The shop manual states the oil pressure at 2000 RPM with the oil at normal operating temperature is 40 to 60 psi. I could not find the spec oil bypass relief pressure.

Amsoil 10W-40 is at ~65-70 PSI at 2,000 rpm (hot). MC 5W-50 (fresh) would be even higher, but slightly lower after shearing for 2,000 miles.

Since pressure never exceeds ~85 PSI, it's safe to assume that's the pressure threshold of the bypass spring.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I used the thicker yellow colored teflon tape that is $4.00 per roll, not the $1.00 cheap white stuff that is thinner.

If it ever leaks, I will put a coating thread sealer on it.

6-Speed

Established Member
Amsoil 10W-40 is at ~65-70 PSI at 2,000 rpm (hot). MC 5W-50 (fresh) would be even higher, but slightly lower after shearing for 2,000 miles.

Since pressure never exceeds ~85 PSI, it's safe to assume that's the pressure threshold of the bypass spring.
Perhaps the oil pressure with 5W50 will be similar with the OEM thermostat (203 degrees F) rather than the 170 degree thermostat.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Perhaps the oil pressure with 5W50 will be similar with the OEM thermostat (203 degrees F) rather than the 170 degree thermostat.

Correct you are. The 170* T-stat reduces overall coolant temps about 25*F, and the oil cooler's heat is dissipated by engine coolant.

MC 5W-50 with a stock thermostat would yield higher oil temperatures, and lower pressures. Same situation for 10W-40.

This temperature is enough of a difference to constitute a grade/weight reduction, as I am discovering through experimentation, to maintain the perfect viscosity for pressure tolerances.

heatsoaked12

Established Member
Could any one tell me which parameters are available with the aeroforce gage on a 12 gt500? when I did a search this thread came up.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Thanks again for the advice Zak, it worked perfectly.

0629011747.jpg

You can see the completed project just above the oil filter.

Troy - the pressure sensor just screws in and out of the fitting correct?

The wires are also just plug and play?

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
Troy - the pressure sensor just screws in and out of the fitting correct?

The wires are also just plug and play?

In case Troy's not lurking, and since we both have AeroForce units, I'll chime in. You are correct on both counts. I recall that yours is an Autometer, but I can't see that would be any different.

Steve

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
In case Troy's not lurking, and since we both have AeroForce units, I'll chime in. You are correct on both counts. I recall that yours is an Autometer, but I can't see that would be any different.

Steve

Thanks Steve :beer:

mustangmike02

SVTless
Established Member
Just Installed a glowshift oil filter adapter on my dad's 2010 gt500. It said 96-04 on their ebay auction, and I bought it for my 96 GT. My father was curious and it fit his filter so we installed it and completed his triple pod. Having a issues uploading pictures with tapatalk. I just decided to post in this thread as I had searched on Google about installing aftermarket gauges and came across this post. Just trying to let people know about the glowshift method if they wanted to go that route.

Users who are viewing this thread