Freshening up those fender liners

03mgtermi

Established Member
Just wanted to share a little project I did to spruce up the wheel wells liners in my terminator.

I used rustoleum's undercoating product and it turned out great! the undercoating costs $4 bucks a can and i used three cans to put three coats on each liner. i originally tried the 'professional grade' version of this which sells for $8 a can and was not impressed. the can barely did one coat on one liner and there was no discernible difference in the finish quality between the two. my total bill including brake cleaner and new trim rivets from autozone for reattaching them was less than $20. here are some pics:

Before:
CIMG1128.jpg

CIMG1129.jpg

Supplies:
CIMG1135.jpg

i used brake cleaner to get them super clean before painting
CIMG1134.jpg

one coat - still pretty smooth. you can stop here if you like this look. i want it to be textured and the more coats you do, the more texture that builds.

CIMG1131.jpg

second coat, still wet
CIMG1136.jpg

CIMG1137.jpg

third coat, my desired level of texture
CIMG1138.jpg

all dry, not as glossy
CIMG1132.jpg

my helper:
CIMG1140.jpg

Sitnlopro99gt

Established Member
This is great! I was debating to buy new ones and wasn't sure what else to do but this looks like it will hold up well and cost much less.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I did the same on my car, but used spray on bedliner, because some of the undercoating sprays stay very tacky, and I didn't want that. Did the Rustoleum stuff dry completely? If so, I will give that a shot next time.

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
I did the same on my car, but used spray on bedliner, because some of the undercoating sprays stay very tacky, and I didn't want that. Did the Rustoleum stuff dry completely? If so, I will give that a shot next time.

just did mine the same way, with duplicolor truck bedliner spray. it dries hard, unlike some undercoatings and looks great. about 8 or 9 dollars a can

03mgtermi

Established Member

there are some places where it is thicker than others, and those are still tacky 10 hours after application

i did notice the single coat i did last night was completely dry this morning and not tacky at all, but that was the pro grade can. we'll see what this is like in the morning. i sure hope it doesn't stay sticky. may have to spray bed liner over the top of it :(

03mgtermi

Established Member
i am also painting the calipers. should finish tomorrow and get it all back in and i will post some pics installed in the car then.

also, it finally seems to be drying all the way through. should be finished in the am. doesn't look like it will stay tacky.

Terminator-Fox

Soon...
Established Member
How hard were the liners to take out? I've tried on my 91 and stopped cause it was an absolute PITA and didnt want to take the fender off. Lots of yanking and prying and I didnt want to destroy the liner.

black 10th vert

Established Member
just pull a screw, or 2, then pop off the plastic rivets, and it comes out very easy (with the wheel off, of course!).

03mgtermi

Established Member
they weren't that difficult. just have to make sure you have all the rivets out, if you miss one it'll be a pain till you recognize it. once its out from under the lip of the fender, it slides right out. i've even taken mine off with the wheel attached.

03mgtermi

Established Member
also, if i had it to do all over again, i would use rustoleum's bed liner spray. apparently it dries hard. stuff kinda sticks to this even though the tackiness has significantly reduced over the weekend. dirt and leaves (lots of pollen around here right now) sticks to it. brushes right off but still would rather have bed liner.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
yeah use the bedliner for this type of stuff.

I need to do mine on the spyder soon, they are light grey and look horrible.

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
i used simplegreen and a brush and rag, to clean mine up workd great for me:shrug: didnt need to paint them

Lloyd Xmas

*The Office* Junkie
Established Member
Pics look great but I wonder if I could get close to the same result without taking them out, just removing my wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread