Freshening up those fender liners

deadernie

is my name
Established Member
I've always cleaned mine with a soft brush and when dried hit it with foaming tire cleaner. Gives it a nice matte black finish. The tire cleaner really gets rid of all those little squares that you see too. I also use it on the gas tank cover. Looks nice and black but not shiny.

Last edited:

03mgtermi

Established Member
installed. flash made it look a little sparkly in the pics - not there as seen by the naked eye

CIMG1144.jpg

CIMG1145.jpg

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
just did mine the same way, with duplicolor truck bedliner spray. it dries hard, unlike some undercoatings and looks great. about 8 or 9 dollars a can

yep, I used the Duplicolor also.

whered you guys pick up the Duplicolor Truck Bed Liner stuff from?

i have a can of the Rustoleum Truck Bed Liner that i sprayed a few pipes with to get a feel for the texture. Its a nice and hard coat, very thin even though i applied 3 coats, hard to chip/peel, but its not a very thick texture. All the truck bed liners i see are a nice thick texture. Im sure this will do, but do you guys have any input on the Duplicolor stuff?

Grant Theft Auto

I hit deer.
Established Member
whered you guys pick up the Duplicolor Truck Bed Liner stuff from?

i have a can of the Rustoleum Truck Bed Liner that i sprayed a few pipes with to get a feel for the texture. Its a nice and hard coat, very thin even though i applied 3 coats, hard to chip/peel, but its not a very thick texture. All the truck bed liners i see are a nice thick texture. Im sure this will do, but do you guys have any input on the Duplicolor stuff?

harbor frieght tools :beer:

10 bucks a can

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I did mine the other day. I used trim/bumper paint rather than undercoating or bed liner. I wasn't sure how well the bed liner would hold up over the long term on plastic liners. The trim paint leaves a semi-gloss finish. I haven't put them back in the car yet, so I can get some pictures if anyone wants.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Here you go. I degreased, scuffed, sprayed adhesion promoter, then 3 coats of trim paint. I don't have any before shots, but they looked like shit and were basically gray. I'm quite happy with the results.

Also, to answer one of your previous questions, the bed liner you get out of a can is not the same thickness as what a company like Line-X, etc would spray. You need of ton of cans to match their thickness.

IMG_2972-web.jpg

IMG_2973-web.jpg

Last edited:

Spoolx

Established Member
That came out really nice, I have always been afraid to pull the wheel liners because the ones of fox cars are super hard to get out and in.

03mgtermi

Established Member
yea these are pretty simple. can be done without removing the wheel but it's easier with the wheel off. i would use bedliner and not the undercoating if i did it again. also, go to an auto parts store and get new plastic trim push pins. they are cheap as hell and will make the install nice and tight.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
did it without removing the liner last night

heres a closeup of what the finish looks like on some piping:
img1803g.jpg

img1804z.jpg

img1806av.jpg

drivers front :
before:
img1807t.jpg

img1808u.jpg

img1809r.jpg

after:
img1810h.jpg

img1811a.jpg

img1812m.jpg

pass rear:
before:
img1814u.jpg

img1815l.jpg

img1816z.jpg

after:
img1817b.jpg

img1818r.jpg

img1819.jpg

not the greatest but the stuff i was using is pain in the ass. I was having issues getting the actual texture to come out until i realized if you hold the can upside down it comes out perfectly. But then its a pain in the ass to control/point. Some areas the texture is "blotchy" and others look blotchy due to just the stock coatings being blotchy as well, but overall the liners are black again and it looks way freaking better.

One day when the car is just a project car and i tear apart the entire suspension to install hard bushings, ill do it right and use the real truck-bed stuff with a real spray gun/compressor.

and holy shit @ my orange rusted brakes........swear they dont look like that in person! Guess ill have to tackle those next.

Last edited:

03mgtermi

Established Member
i prefer rustoleum but others have used duplicolor with success. just get the best of whats available to you.

Users who are viewing this thread