Oil Separator Installed

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
Went to good ol' Wally World and picked up everything I needed, except for the hose. Had to go to NAPA for that. Here's what it looks like and the prices/part #'s for all of the stuff. Enjoy.

filter - $12 - Part# MP5138
1/4" couplers - $2 - Part# MP2468
2 feet of 3/8" inside diameter hose - $2
Teflon tape - $1

Total cost was about $17 and took 3 mins to install. No idle issues what-so-ever. First peice of hose is about 5" and the other peice is about 10". Very easy to do. Would you rather pay $60 for the steeda kit, or $17 for the same thing bought locally?

GrantsPics048.jpg

GrantsPics049.jpg

Last edited:

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
sweet, I was suprised that it actually worked, LOL. took the car for a 10-15 mile trip and their was already a line of oil going down the inside of the tube :thumbsup:

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
I'm kinda anal so I'd probably go ahead and order the kit from Steeda for $60. But it looks like it worked well for you. Is there anything holding the seperator in place or does it hang there?

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
the rubber tube is pretty sturdy. it rests on the valve cover a little bit. doesnt move around at all. Ill keep you guys updated with how much Oil I accumulate over the miles I put on it.

DJ98Cobra

Established Member
I have the steeda kit. Works well and I installed it to the plastic above the fire wall. If you take your time with the line, it will look good. Sorry no pic's due to being deployed!

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
two weeks use, and about 1" of accumulated oil in the separator. now I know why these cars can go through a whole quart every 3k miles, geez.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
That looks pretty cool, Grant. I'd keep an eye on the filter housing if it's touching the valve cover ... vibration may cause it to crack. Looks good, though. Do you have to drain the oil out every so often, or replace it?

Snaketamer

CAM-tastic
Established Member
Dano said:
Do you have to drain the oil out every so often, or replace it?

Heh, Dano...I've had my separator in for a couple months now and I empty it about every second fill up. There's usually about 1/4 to a 1/2 teaspoon of oil in the filter cup.

96badvenm

Established Member
just curious, what does that do for the car, is it helping it in some way, or is it telling you something about the engine?

Snaketamer

CAM-tastic
Established Member
96badvenm said:
just curious, what does that do for the car, is it helping it in some way, or is it telling you something about the engine?

It helps to prevent misted oil sucked up through the pvc system from gumming up the imrc's.

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
Im going to dump it out pretty soon. Ill probably make a habit of dumping it out on the 1st of every month. this is also a good gauge to see how dirty the oil is. My oils only about 2k miles old and it already black. I do beat my car tho pretty hard.

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
Dano said:
That looks pretty cool, Grant. I'd keep an eye on the filter housing if it's touching the valve cover ... vibration may cause it to crack. Looks good, though. Do you have to drain the oil out every so often, or replace it?

theirs a 1/2" rubber peice on the bottom of the separaotor. I thought the same thing. I hope it doesnt crack:eek:

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member
Lowes, Home Depot in tool section near the air tools. Yes i took out the filter as syn. oil can clog it. I just use it as a catch can.

Users who are viewing this thread