Is the Shelby GT500 going to need 700HP at the crank to keep up with a C6 Z06?

3000ways

Established Member
I think the Shelby GT500 engine is simply awesome, but my problem is the car the engine sits in. As far as styling, awesome:thumbsup: But everything else, um I don't know. One thing I noticed in a comparison test between it and the C6 Vette, is how much harder the Vette pulls at high speeds. To 100mph the cars are pretty close, but after that the Vette really starts to pull. Meaning even a GT500 with a tune may have a little trouble pulling away from a stock C6 Vette from high speeds. Now this brings me to the C6 Z06, I figure with such a huge advantage at high speeds, I believe that a GT500 would need around 700HP at the crank to beat a C6 Z06 from a high speed roll. Now a race from like 30mph to 110mph would be in the GT500 advantage. But a race from like 80mph to 150mph would be very close in my opinion, even if the GT500 had 700HP. Is my thinking correct? I mean that is an awful lot of power to beat a stock Z06.

bubbrubb

*puts flame suit on*

What on God's green earth makes you think that a GT500 with a tune will have a little trouble pulling away from a stock c6 vette?

dgussin's pass with just a tune, corrected for conditions: 12.06 @ 120.61

MD03SVT's stock convertable ran a 12.567
MD03SVT said:
Just back back from the track for my 2nd outing with the Shelby & here are the results.Only changes were different launch & shift RPM's.

2.089/8.197/12.567/116.09 100% Stock on goodyears

1.777/7.775/12.102/116.964 with ET Streets

with that said, the z06 is an entirely different beast, but I'm sure that it will be doable in the near future :read:

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
chuckstang said:
looks like a rebuilt bottom end is needed if you want to beat a new z06
oh well
why do you say that? Nobody knows shit about the bottom end. 1 motor has gone, and we don't even have conformation on that. Geeze, some people are so quick to come to conclusions, just like when they said the gt500 is slow...yep mine only went 12.87 @ 113.4 in 5000' DA with no track prep and I put 1/2 car on a 03 cobra w/ a 2.8 and 4.10's.

Fadis_Z

Established Member
An SVT Cobra weighs 3700 lbs, and it takes 530 rwhp to run dead even with a stock C6 Z06. The GT500 is heavier than 03/04 Cobras and hence, imo, it would take about 550 rwhp to run even with a C6 Z06.

550rwhp = ~ 650 bhp to be even.

So yes, I really do think it will take 700 bhp for a GT500 to actually pull on
the Z06.

Damn, that sounds kind of crazy though..doesn't it?

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
if you're only trapping 121; a cai, tune shelby will give you a run for your money and one with a pulley should pull you without a problem. (evolution did really well at the track this weekend with a pulley)

BlueSS

dgussin1 said:
if you're only trapping 121; a cai, tune shelby will give you a run for your money and one with a pulley should pull you without a problem. (evolution did really well at the track this weekend with a pulley)
:pop:

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
Fadis_Z said:
An SVT Cobra weighs 3700 lbs, and it takes 530 rwhp to run dead even with a stock C6 Z06. The GT500 is heavier than 03/04 Cobras and hence, imo, it would take about 550 rwhp to run even with a C6 Z06.

550rwhp = ~ 650 bhp to be even.

So yes, I really do think it will take 700 bhp for a GT500 to actually pull on
the Z06.

Damn, that sounds kind of crazy though..doesn't it?

Pretty much right on! The Vette works out to be 6.2#/bhp. To get the equivalent # with the Shelby, it would need approx. 650 bhp. With those #'s the same, I believe the difference in a high speed run is the cars' drag coefficient. Which ever one is able to cut thru the wind better will win! Just my 2 cnts. ;-)

snakecharmer

Established Member
Simple Math really. The C6 Z06 weighs in at 3150lbs per the General, and they will typically dyno around 460ish (some higher some lower). To make it simple and be conservative, let's use 450RWHP, which gives it an even 7lbs/HP for a power to weight ratio. The GT500 checks in at 3920. At around 435RWHP, that makes its power to weight ratio 9.01lbs/HP. A 2lb difference is HUGE. To match the Z, it needs to make at least 560RWHP and even then that skips the fact that the Z has better gearing than the Shelby does. So, IMHO, you are talking at least 600 to the tires to beat one in a straight line. Z06's are getting easy mid 500s with headers, exhaust, and tune, so mod for mod the Shelby is never going to keep up. Put a power adder on a built LS7, and the Shelby can forget it, I don't care how much boost you throw at it.

I'm not knocking the Shelby mind you, I LIKE IT and want one. But I do find the continual comparisions between it and the Z06 rather pointless. The Z has the Mustang covered in every single category other than having a backseat, but it's a totally different beast.

Rodcobra

Established Member
snakecharmer said:
Simple Math really. The C6 Z06 weighs in at 3150lbs per the General, and they will typically dyno around 460ish (some higher some lower). To make it simple and be conservative, let's use 450RWHP, which gives it an even 7lbs/HP for a power to weight ratio. The GT500 checks in at 3920. At around 435RWHP, that makes its power to weight ratio 9.01lbs/HP. A 2lb difference is HUGE. To match the Z, it needs to make at least 560RWHP and even then that skips the fact that the Z has better gearing than the Shelby does. So, IMHO, you are talking at least 600 to the tires to beat one in a straight line. Z06's are getting easy mid 500s with headers, exhaust, and tune, so mod for mod the Shelby is never going to keep up. Put a power adder on a built LS7, and the Shelby can forget it, I don't care how much boost you throw at it.

I'm not knocking the Shelby mind you, I LIKE IT and want one. But I do find the continual comparisions between it and the Z06 rather pointless. The Z has the Mustang covered in every single category other than having a backseat, but it's a totally different beast.

Eric you are right,the Z06 is a sports car. The GT500 well its a good ol' American muscle car. :-D :D

Formula51

Established Member
dgussin1 said:

dgussin1, shame on you, hehe. We have no idea what the track conditions were when he ran his Vette. And likely he was on stock tires as far as the 11.6 ET is concerned?

"evolution did really well at the track this weekend with a pulley", HAHA! Let's see, ET streets, skinnies, full exhaust, cai, ported blower, 2.6 pulley, tune, weight reduction (including lightweight wheels), and a full suspension upgrade. But it certainly sounds better to just say "with a pulley".

At this point we really don't know what it is going to take to run with or pull a stock Z06 from a roll. For that matter, we really don't know what it is going to take 'most people' to beat the Z in the quarter mile. So far all we really have to go on are some stock runs and some runs by a car with a HEAVILY moddified suspension and engine.

Will a Shelby with a tune and cai run mid 11's with nothing else done? I doubt it. Now, will it do it with DR's and maybe a few suspension upgrades? We will have to see. Same goes for the pulley.

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
04MystiCobra said:
Good luck. The Z is running GTs, F430s and such.

Have to say that it doesn't take much for a GT500 to eat an F430 with regard to straight line speed/acceleration.

stang22

Established Member
3000ways said:
I think the Shelby GT500 engine is simply awesome, but my problem is the car the engine sits in. As far as styling, awesome:thumbsup: But everything else, um I don't know. One thing I noticed in a comparison test between it and the C6 Vette, is how much harder the Vette pulls at high speeds. To 100mph the cars are pretty close, but after that the Vette really starts to pull. Meaning even a GT500 with a tune may have a little trouble pulling away from a stock C6 Vette from high speeds. Now this brings me to the C6 Z06, I figure with such a huge advantage at high speeds, I believe that a GT500 would need around 700HP at the crank to beat a C6 Z06 from a high speed roll. Now a race from like 30mph to 110mph would be in the GT500 advantage. But a race from like 80mph to 150mph would be very close in my opinion, even if the GT500 had 700HP. Is my thinking correct? I mean that is an awful lot of power to beat a stock Z06.
Who cares,2 different cars. you need too be comparing the srt-10 viper and such cars to the new c6 z06! You trying to compare a a 2 door muscle car vs a 2-"seat sports car",that cost almost 30k more! Might want to compare the new top model camaro & challenger coming out,to the new shelby gt500,as they are in the same class of comparison and competition.To be fair, Carroll Shelby,could very well convince Ford to build a new retro AC cobra or Daytona with 650++hp.Now that'll be a lighter,meaner,faster "Shelby" 2-seat sport car in more of a direct competition to the new z06 chevy,that you could compare with stock vs. stock(especially with the end of the ford gt). That's just imo.;-)

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
Hey Fourcam... can you educate dgussin... on how 'correcting' for DA doesn't work the same for Forced induction cars?

People are always trying to offer up their best case scenario times for the dragstrip... you ran what you ran... correction factors are only an estimate... and when you have a power adder... they are WAY off... since you deliver your own AIR!

A GT500 isn't going to play with any Z-06... except for the guy who doesn't know how to drive it! (at least over 100MPH... not only will the wieght and gearing have a bigger effect... but so does the wind drag... and the Z-06 slices through the air like a slim knife).

The GT500 is doing great things... and a bitchin' car... but realize...it's world class fast from Zero to 120! ;) Not 100 - 175, and not turning left and right :( Which is what I'm still hoping for from our Ford Faithful!

For me... the Saleen PJ edition car is what Ford needs to do... plus another 50HP... and less another 100lbs!

By the way... Stang22's post happened while I was typing mine... and I AGREE 100%!!!

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
snakecharmer said:
But I do find the continual comparisions between it and the Z06 rather pointless.

Hey, it's the internet! Apples will be compared to oranges until the end of time! :fart:

Users who are viewing this thread