Is the Shelby GT500 going to need 700HP at the crank to keep up with a C6 Z06?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Whitten said:
Actually no, I once thought as you do until I made that mistake infront of Scott Settlemire who very quickly schooled me in the ways of the force.

I was stading in front of 1 or 2 Convertable C5 Z06's and said the same thing to which he replied the top on the Corvette was an after thought. He basicly explained to me that the Chasis by which the Corvette's are built on are designed as a convertable. You can take the roof off the car and the car will be no less structurally sound. I swear to you I am not making this up. The Current Z06 doesn't have the extra hardware, weather stripping and bracketry to save weight. The roof panel has absolutely nothing to do with the overall structural rigdity of the car. Next time you look at a Z06 look at the panel and you will see that it looks the exact same as a standard C6 coupe on the outside and inside. The only thing missing is handle to secure the panel.:read:

I'm not doubting what you're saying. It just seems ridiculous to me that Chevrolet would not offer this car in convertible form when CLEARLY it would be a very popular configuration given the people that buy these cars? :shrug:

I do NOT know enough about them to determine whether or not that theory is valid?:read:

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
I'm not doubting what you're saying. It just seems ridiculous to me that Chevrolet would not offer this car in convertible form when CLEARLY it would be a very popular configuration given the people that buy these cars? :shrug:

I do NOT know enough about them to determine whether or not that theory is valid?:read:

It is a weight issue more than anything. If they started adding things like convertable tops or Targa's it would add weight. I would also imagine it has alot to do with the the aerodynamics of the car as well. They built the Z06's as race cars for the street, but like many special cars there are certain options that you just can't get them with. It has nothing to with whether they would sell or not, because we all know people would buy a Z06 with a 6speed auto, or a Shelby with a 5speed auto, but rather it deals more with what things can be deleated for cost, weight, or safety reasons. Less options less production cost.

I think there are more reasons to why you can't buy one like that but most of it centers around the fact that it is a weight issue.

I promise I wouldn't just say something that wasn't true, especially when being told by Mr. Settlemire. I promise as God as my witness what I am saying is 100% fact.

Last edited:

bubbrubb

ac427cobra said:
This has kinda peaked my interest too...

anybody know the torsional rigidity values of a c6 coupe vs a c6 convertable? that should give us an idea...

Whitten, not that I wouldn't imagine that a c6z06 convertable would be structurally sound...after all, there are modded base c6s running that power level. I think that Chevy might want to put out the Stingray (hardcore Steve Irwin fans would never buy that car BTW) or whatever the super high performance version of the z06 will be first.

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
VelociTT said:
This has kinda peaked my interest too...

anybody know the torsional rigidity values of a c6 coupe vs a c6 convertable? that should give us an idea...

Whitten, not that I wouldn't imagine that a c6z06 convertable would be structurally sound...after all, there are modded base c6s running that power level. I think that Chevy might want to put out the Stingray (hardcore Steve Irwin fans would never buy that car BTW) or whatever the super high performance version of the z06 will be first.

That Steve Irwin Comment was hilarious.

I'll see what I can dig up or ask Scott the next time I get a chance to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread