Royal Purple guys

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
I just bought 6 quarts of 5w20 RP, and I'm now concerned for many reasons. before I put this stuff in my 4,500miles 03 cobra. I've now read more bad shit* about RP then ever before. Is there people here that have been using it for awhile now with no problems or noise changes? please RP using are there any out there?:uh oh:

slostang

Established Member
Before I owned the Cobra I had a 2000 WS6 TA had 4500 miles on it used RP from then, and before I traded it with 12K it was smokeing when I let off under heavy acceleration, and had a tick at idle. I don't know if RP had anything to do with it but not taking no chances with the COBRA! Oh one more horror story my Boss races Hoorters Procup which is under Busch Series and he ran RP once 20 laps to go and blewy. We took the motor down and the cam bearings had wear and spun a main bearing now he runs Amsoil with no problems. Oh yea did I say it was just built. It all might not have nothing to do with RP who knows! But good luck!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
No problems here...

I use the 10w30 street version and the car gets tracked HARD in an extremely HOT State!!!

The only problems I ever heard about was a dyno test that had about 4 or 5 oils tested back to back in the same car and the filter was not changed out each time.

There was some additive reactions that left a residue... the residue could have come from any one of the 4 or 5 other oils reacting to each other.

Changing back and forth between oils is a bad idea no matter what you run.

IMHO.... (SOME of) the top synthetic performers are Amsoil, Motul, Royal Purple, and Redline.

Mobil one is obviously an excellent choice also... just be aware there are more than one version.

Here is a little tech for the disscusion...

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=152478&page=1

Where's the tech on the alleged Royal Purple problems????

Links???

Tests???:dw:

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
04CobraMatt said:
what about elf? i hear its on par with Motul/Amsoil...

Could be... looks to be well established in European racing circles..

Availabilty is important too though.

This is the first I've heard of it... (not a big F1 fan after the Michelin mess here in the states at Indy... not even sure if that was an f1 event).

Mystic03

Established Member
ive been using it eversince i bought my cobra have had no problems at all! :shurg: what kind of problems have they said they have?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Mystic03 said:
ive been using it eversince i bought my cobra have had no problems at all! :shurg: what kind of problems have they said they have?

:idea: Yes it would be nice if there was at least some shred of tech back up to these "RP sucks" claims...:rollseyes

:pop:

:read:

:bs:

:poke:

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
:shrug: I don't know for sure but i have heard that RP tears up engines a lot faster. I almost ordered a case myself until doing a little research. I wouldn't risk it personally... for what, like 1/2-1 HP. :nono:

Mystic03

Established Member
i havent heard anything about RP tearing up engines faster than other synthetic oils ive read alot of good reviews about them in several car magazines

spdjnky

slept_on
Established Member
i've run rp in all my vehicles for years, currently in the L and cobra which gets pushed hard every time my arse hits the suede NEVER had a problem

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
put royal purple 5w20 in at 3000 miles and now have 15,000 miles, i haven't noticed any poor performance yet. do plenty 140 and 150mph runs, drag race and do plenty back to back runs during practice sessions, run a 12.0 a/f on the street and 12.5 a/f at the track, at this time i'm only pushing 500rwhp and fully weighted vert. change my oil after every race day or a couple thousand street hell raising miles. there are so many variables to engine trouble its hard to pin it on one item and what actually caused it.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
SVT BITTEN said:
there is "tech" to back it just gotta find it... here ya go for starters...

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157890

So it's Royal Purple's fault some lame outfit puts together an equally lame oil test???

Who the hell are the "street commodores" any way?

By the way... your "unbiased" tech source is an Amsoil distributer.... "cough" .....axe to grind???

BTW Amsoil is one of the BEST oils you can buy!!!

I'll be changing rod bolts soon while installing a Canton road race oil pan. At that time I will also be checking my rod bearings.

I'll be sure and let you all know how they look.

MustangThief

Established Member
So that's why they charge 7 bucks a quart? Cuz it blows your engine up... it all makes sense now....

Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Amsoil - these 3 have always had good reviews that i've read, even with mobil 1 using group III chemicals or whatever, it's still a damn good oil.

I use Mobil 1 5w30

Areteracing

ON3ULUZ
Established Member
I recently quit racing a dirt late model and had raced modifieds and other roundy round cars since 1997. We had tried RedLine, Mobil 1 and Royal Purple. In the years of racing that we had done, the bearings always had about the same amount of wear from each differant oil. This was in numerous differant engines and rebuilds over the years. I think that the key to it is consistent oil changes. If your running an engine hard, you have to service it more often. I'm currently running Royal Purple in my Cobra. At the next service I will send in a sample for testing and see how it is fairing. If your worried about your oil, send in a sample to a lab and you can see the problems before they get too far along. This way you can fix them before you blow. We've saved many engines this way in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread