breather filters

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
where do you guys get those filters that replace the tube that connects to your intake?
thanks!

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
i have one on mine, got it from ford racing for 10 or 20 bucks. check summit too
dscf7551wp1.jpg

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
JLT sells them too. I ran one for about a year and went back to the tube. My tuner said it was difficult to get the STFT set correctly with the breather filter.....:shrug:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Just to clarify...

The PCV system operates in a loop. The passenger side valve cover is the fresh air inlet side.
The PVC valve side(drivers side) pulls air(and combustion blow by) out of the crank case and puts it back in the intake(and throttle body) where it will be reintroduced to the combustion process and reburned.

If you are using any air that has not been weighed(measured) by the MAF... IE: using a filter/breather on that passenger side cover... then you will be leaning out the A/F.

The JLT prefilter removes some of the oil droplets from the PVC loop without opening up the loop to unmetered air.

INLET SIDE...

P5010080.jpg

Last edited:

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
Thanks for the clarification. I understand the unmetered air. Didn't know if the JLT was open somewhere. I see it is not! Thanks!

HASFANGS

Established Member
DaveHutch said:
where do you guys get those filters that replace the tube that connects to your intake?
thanks!

I have one I got with my JLT, never used, never will, I'll give it to you for shipping, PM me. Here's a pic:
c988_1.JPG

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
Jimmysidecarr said:
Just to clarify...

The PCV system operates in a loop. The passenger side valve cover is the fresh air inlet side.
The PVC valve side(drivers side) pulls air(and combustion blow by) out of the crank case and puts it back in the intake(and throttle body) where it will be reintroduced to the combustion process and reburned.

If you are using any air that has not been weighed(measured) by the MAF... IE: using a filter/breather on that passenger side cover... then you will be leaning out the A/F.

The JLT prefilter removes some of the oil droplets from the PVC loop without opening up the loop to unmetered air.

INLET SIDE...

P5010080.jpg
well then its okay to use one if your tuner takes it into account when you Dyno right?
reason is i have a JLT high boost intake and there is no hole for the inlet tube, so i just figured id use a filter. what do you guys reccomend?

HASFANGS

Established Member
DaveHutch said:
well then its okay to use one if your tuner takes it into account when you Dyno right?
reason is i have a JLT high boost intake and there is no hole for the inlet tube, so i just figured id use a filter. what do you guys reccomend?

I think the instructions say to make a hole. That's how mine is installed, and it looks like Jimmysidecarr's too.

EvanStang

the "Hit Man"
Established Member
I have a question, why the prefilter on the passenger side... If that is where the air in sucked out of intake, what's that prefilter doing? Air is entering through the prefilter into the motor, the oil/dirty air is coming out of the drivers side. Just curious why people are putting filters on pass inlet side?

MustangThief

Established Member
I tried looking up some info on these but came up with nothing.

Is there a definite advantage to running a filter? Are there versions that will require a retune because they lean you out and some that don't? Which ones do which?

I don't want leaned out, because my perf. tune is right on 12.0 A/F and my DD is around 11.6

04CobraMatt

Established Member
EvanStang said:
I have a question, why the prefilter on the passenger side... If that is where the air in sucked out of intake, what's that prefilter doing? Air is entering through the prefilter into the motor, the oil/dirty air is coming out of the drivers side. Just curious why people are putting filters on pass inlet side?

In a Full boost WOT situation you get a bit of pressure in the crankcase that needs to be vented. The Drivers side closes via the PCV valve so the only other way is the passenger side valve cover.

Engines running high boost or older/worn engines will leak more pressure through the piston rings and possibly push oil out the passenger side as well (the same could probably be said about OT guys since their into full boost for long periods of time). Pull off your intake tube, if you dont have signs of oil coming out the passenger valve cover then dont worry about it.

Last edited:

04CobraMatt

Established Member
MustangThief said:
I tried looking up some info on these but came up with nothing.

Is there a definite advantage to running a filter? Are there versions that will require a retune because they lean you out and some that don't? Which ones do which?

I don't want leaned out, because my perf. tune is right on 12.0 A/F and my DD is around 11.6

running a breather on the passenger side will never affect the WOT a/f because the PCV valve being closed.

It will mess with your STFT during ClosedLoop driving because of un-metered air sucked in through the PCV system. In reality, if you did install a breather your car will still run fine because the PCM uses feedback from the o2 sensors to correct the ClosedLoop a/f. If the air gets really really dense it may go beyond the ability of the PCM to correct and go a little lean during ClosedLoop only.

You could have the car re-tune for that un-metered air so your STFT are closer to normal, but at the end of the day un-metered air is un-metered air. The ClosedLoop A/F ratio (14.7) will never be as precise.

Last edited:

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
HandoZiZle said:
so which one is technically better to have? im about to switch my jlt to a high boost one and would like to know
i have a JLT high boost too, and i see more people running the filters that not.

Users who are viewing this thread